Anyone Else "Overweight" on the BMI Chart but Healthy, Active, Happy and not Really "Overweight"

Options
I struggle with the BMI Chart on a regular basis. It has given me some goals of where I want to be but it also has shown me that it's probably not for everyone. I am aware of the vast amount of factors it does not account for. I am 5'6" and have 12 more pounds to lose to be at my goal weight of 165 (for a total loss of 30 pounds.) I realize that 165 is above the top of the "Normal" range on the BMI Chart by 11 pounds. BUT the only time that I was in the middle to the top of the "Normal" weight category I was dancing 8.5 hours a week for my Dance major in college, walking upwards of 2 miles with a heavy backpack all around campus 5 days a week, bartending/ waiting tables 4 days a week, walking my dog everyday and overall, super active. I simply am not in college any more. I do not believe (although I will try) that my body will be happy at 154 (top of "Normal" range) nor do I feel the need to be that weight. I am very active now, walking my dog everyday, dancing intense cardio and weight toning classes 4 times a week for a total of anywhere from 4.5 to 6 hours a week. I am doing all the necessary steps: cutting calories, getting in cardio and weights, etc. and the weight is coming off and I genuinely think that 165 is going to be fine and super healthy for my PEAR shape (big note there.) So my long winded question is? Anyone feel great and know you are healthy but you are "Overweight" on the BMI Chart? What's your take on it? I don't want it to seem like I'm fine with being "Overweight" but to me with my height and body shape, food choices and activity level, I'm not "Overweight!"

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I got about 10 lbs above the top healthy weight for my height and I felt really good. If I had to live my life at that weight it wasn't bad. That kind of thinking fizzled my motivation.
    I know It is not impossible for me to lose more and that I would not have to do crazy things to maintain a lower weight. I've come a long way and made many improvements so I don't really want to settle for being overweight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't think that 12 lbs will make any difference whatsoever in your health, so I wouldn't even worry about it.