Anyone Else "Overweight" on the BMI Chart but Healthy, Active, Happy and not Really "Overweight"

Replies

• emmieems
    emmieems Posts: 27 Member
    I’m technically overweight by 11 pounds right now however I’m living the healthiest life style I have yet and I don’t look super big or anything, it’s weird like that.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    For me at least BMI seems to accurately represent my health and fitness level. When I was morbidly obese I got tired just walking normally. Then I lost enough weight to be just regular obese and could walk for miles but had difficultly running. When I hit overweight I could run much better, but I could also tell that running would be much easier at a lower weight. Now I am at the high end of normal weight and can do most things easily, but there are some more intense fitness related activities like jumping and acrobatics and pull-ups which would greatly benefit if I lost about fifteen more pounds, which would put me at close to ideal weight. In college I had an underweight BMI and was constantly run down and anemic. Everyone is different but in my case the chart is spot on.

I also note that when I first lost enough weight to get down to just overweight and no longer obese, I thought I looked great. I would admire myself in the mirror and think I was mostly finished with my weight loss journey. But then I would see photographs of me taken with other people and I looked fat in them. I blamed the camera. But now that I am normal weight, suddenly I look normal weight in photos and surprise, the ones taken when I was overweight, I still look overweight, because I was overweight then, I just had trouble seeing it. It just took a while for my perception to adjust to my new reality. You may discover something similar when you have been at your current weight for a while.

Very good answer.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited March 2018
    ap1972 wrote: »
    My 14yo son was talking about this earlier, I'm 5'10" and around 210 which puts me just into the obese range. I don't feel obese but would say I'm overweight, when I said to him even if I lost 30 pounds I would still be overweight he said that would be crazy as he thought i would look unhealthy if I lost more than that.

My wife is also 5'10-5'11" and got up to 195. She is now 170, feels and looks great. She is going to go down another 5-10 to see how that feels.

Individual results/perceptions may vary.
  • daloverlyme
    daloverlyme Posts: 583 Member
    I was once super obese ( highest point on the BMI chart) I'm 5 lbs away from just being "obese". My healthy BMI would put me around 104-108 lbs. I think I will be okay at a little higher on the scale.