I used to be so good about sticking to this.... until late last year. Now I'm so ashamed.

Options
Up until late last year (around September - October), I was really good about counting everything and sticking to it, and I was fairly close to my goal weight. You would think this would have motivated me to stick with it even harder... but for some reason... I just stopped. I don't know if it was diet fatigue or what, but I started slacking off and slacking off, and now I'm 20 lbs heavier.

Now I'm back on it, counting my calories, weighing and measuring everything and watching my macro percentages closely. I'm also exercising more and discovering that I actually kind of like weight lifting, which I never liked before... so I'm doing that along with cardio. But I'm scared that I'm at the point in my life where the weight will be impossible to take off. I'm 45 :( I know your metabolism slows down as you age, but I am hoping I can still make it.

Mostly I'm just feeling embarrassed and ashamed that I let myself slip so far :(

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You can get there again. Metabolism tends to slow down due to loss of muscle mass as you age. You can counter that by being active and doing at least enough strength training to maintain the muscle you already have.

• brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I got close to my goal weight twice in the last 4 years on here; gained back 10 the first time, 18 the second time. I was ashamed and embarrassed too, and unfortunately, those feelings did not burn any calories :)

I started over (again) about 4 months ago, and I'm 2 lbs under my original goal now. I am 61 so if I can, you can :) Calories in calories out STILL applies, no age limit, and I think that "metabolism slows down" thing is overplayed. Sounds like you are doing all the right things for success, don't worry about the past but do the things one day at a time to change your future. You got this. Friend me if you like :)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Those negative emotions like guilt and shame serve NO ONE! Least of all you. Let them go and replace with positive affirmations and look forward. No more negative self-talk or beating yourself up.

I reached my first goal weight and have been bouncing up and down 3-5 pounds for the past year or more. I'd still like to drop another 10 but (obviously) not caring enough to knuckle down and do it. As we age it does become more difficult, but never impossible. I believe I can do it, I just need to want to do it more than those chips/cookies/candy or that extra glass of wine! :D

A friend of mine used to say "give up all hope for a better past and move on"!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I got on the scale one day when I was 45 and it said I weighed 285lbs. 173.6 today. I’m 67 now.

No reason you can’t do this.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Don't feel ashamed, 70% of people who lose weight by one study I read fail to keep it off. The body and brain does things to make you want to eat and regain weight.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    You're in good company :). Me included. Just keep at it. Those feelings of self-loathing won't help anything. When you start thinking them, tell yourself instead, "Wow! Look at me! I am turning this train around! Good for me! I'm fabulous ;) " Seriously. Because you are. You can blame yourself and keep the 20 pounds, or get a better attitude and get rid of them. :heart:
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm with you there..........after my botched surgery in 2010, I lost a bunch of weight from fasting (tried that to see if it would help my digestion improve). It didn't help my digestion much, but I did get back to my pre-surgery weight of 170-175. Then I lost a daughter and grandson during the same week as Sandyhook; got really depressed the rest of that winter, ate unchecked amounts of chocolate bars, and gained 30 pounds back. It took a long time to bounce back and I gained 30 more pounds the next winter. The next summer and fall, I tried to renew interest in MFP and did everything right, for two months, but got re-injured because I tried to go too fast, and gained again. I thought I might be able to fast all that winter, but did not. I did do intermittent fasts, and I only gained two pounds back, so here I am.......back again.......after a whopping 60 pound weight gain. Geez. I am 57, but this time around, my metabolism appears to be cooperating........maybe because it's spring? Anyhow, we can be friends, keep each other on board, if it's helpful. :)
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Don't fear the metabolism - I started at 59 & lost 95 lbs. Took a year a half, but it IS possible. Listen to the above MFP -ers. They have some good advice. Come on - you can do this.
  • nicole3921
    nicole3921 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat. I lost nearly 50lbs in a year and gained back 25 last year. I’m currently back at it full force. I’m looking to lose that 25 to start and re-evaluate from there. I log daily and exercise 5x a week. Any ladies feel free to add me. More support the better
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Remember this... At least it helps me. Inspiration is fleeting, motivation is short, determination only last as long as will power does, habit.... that's the $#!+ that last. Doing things until they are automatic. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I gained 20 as well. Can't seem to lose it. Makes me feel like a failure.
  • brig_it
    brig_it Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Many of us have been in your shoes and felt the shame of regaining weight after having such success in the past. I found the book "How to Have Your Cake and Your Skinny Jeans Too" (silly name, I know) very helpful in terms of helping me finally change my mindset around dieting. It's a lifestyle change, and just know that day by day, you're making progress by making better choices, even if it doesn't show up on the scale right away.