Getting Rid of Hip Dips?

Options
Hello all. I’m 5’3 and 135lbs. I’m currently eating at a deficit and losing about 1lb a week.

I introduced strength training in hopes of getting better results once I hit my goal. I currently have hip dips and I’m just unsure as to what body part I should target to help those.

Would leg/glutes routines help that area? Or is it better suited for lower ab exercises? Or something entirely different?

Thank you!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Hip dips are largely genetic. Sometimes they come down with weight loss if you store fat there, sometimes they get worse depending on your structure and muscle build. I mean you can build up the gluteus medius (you would have to be bulking or recomping at least) and it can maybe help minimize it .. but it won't change your bone structure. 
  • Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Hip dips are largely genetic. Sometimes they come down with weight loss if you store fat there, sometimes they get worse depending on your structure and muscle build. I mean you can build up the gluteus medius (you would have to be bulking or recomping at least) and it can maybe help minimize it .. but it won't change your bone structure. 

Yeah, mine got more noticeable with fat loss because there was no fat to fill them in; for me I have wide hips and a high pelvis, hence hip dips.

I've just started Strong Curves, and I'm hoping that building up my glutes will help minimise them, but if not, eh, I'll just have to live with them.
  • lillyblack1982
    lillyblack1982 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For those of us that are uninformed... what are hips dips? Is that where your hips start to flare out and then dip back in and get narrower before flaring out again? Making it look like you have a belt wrapped too tight just beneath the first flare? Or like a double-lovehandle thing? (Because if so I have that and didn’t know there was a term to describe it)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Froggyh wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

Yeah, mine got more noticeable with fat loss because there was no fat to fill them in; for me I have wide hips and a high pelvis, hence hip dips.

I've just started Strong Curves, and I'm hoping that building up my glutes will help minimise them, but if not, eh, I'll just have to live with them.

That's how I am. The smaller my hips become and the leaner my thighs get, the more prominent the "dips" become -- it's because there's no fat filling in that space anymore. And I'm more than proud of having them, because it means that my thighs aren't carrying fat that bulks them up.
  • lillyblack1982
    lillyblack1982 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of those that have never heard the term "hip dip" before. As far as I'm concerned, it's from wearing hip-hugging pants - that are too tight. Your clothes really can change the way your fat is distributed!

If your hips are shaped like that your pants are naturally going to settle in the middle of the dip though. My pants fit fine, right above the first flare of my hips, but the first time I bend over or crouch, my beltline falls into that dip. I can hike my pants up all day and they keep going back into the dip. Short of wearing a corset, I’m not sure how you would fix that with clothes.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of those that have never heard the term "hip dip" before. As far as I'm concerned, it's from wearing hip-hugging pants - that are too tight. Your clothes really can change the way your fat is distributed!

If your hips are shaped like that your pants are naturally going to settle in the middle of the dip though. My pants fit fine, right above the first flare of my hips, but the first time I bend over or crouch, my beltline falls into that dip. I can hike my pants up all day and they keep going back into the dip. Short of wearing a corset, I’m not sure how you would fix that with clothes.

Even corsets don't permanently change your body shape - clothing just temporarily displaces your fat. As I think anyone with extra body-fat has noticed, fat is pretty squishy!
  • Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For those of us that are uninformed... what are hips dips? Is that where your hips start to flare out and then dip back in and get narrower before flaring out again? Making it look like you have a belt wrapped too tight just beneath the first flare? Or like a double-lovehandle thing? (Because if so I have that and didn’t know there was a term to describe it)

Yup. You get a 'bump' over the iliac crest, then a dip, before another 'bump' where the hip joint is. They can look pretty similar to a muffin top, but where a muffin top is made of fat, hip dips are caused by the actual bone structure (but can be more/less apparent depending on fat and muscle distribution in the area).

I don't like mine because they make me look like I'm wearing too-tight underwear with my workout leggings :tongue:
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You can try exercises to build up your gluteus medius (Curtsey lunges and clamshells), but genetics are the main determinant of having hip dips.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I’m similar in height to you, just under 5’3”, and at around 125 I felt like my “hip dips” (never heard the term but I know what you mean!) were way less noticeable but still definitely there. I carry more weight on my hips and butt just in general. I gained a few pounds this winterso I’m just over 130 now and all my clothes still fit but I can definitely see those hip dips are more noticeable. I’m guessing that’s just how our body types are and we’ll always have the hip dips, but in my experience they didn’t bother me nearly as much at a lower weight.
  • inkedrapture
    inkedrapture Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hip dips are genetic and look that way because of your bone structure. BUT you can go heavy on the hip abduction machine, hip abduction with cables, as well as resistance bands. You could go light on these but not if you’re looking to build muscle to make the hip dips less noticeable/prominent.

My hips were 40 originally, I grew them out to 45 with these exercises. Have to go heavy with progressive overload though.