Can you control your weight by "clean eating" alone?

Options
For me, weight control means counting calories. The moment I stop, I start to gain. But, it doesn't really bother me to do it, so I do. I also do fairly intense workouts several times a week and I must eat extra calories to compensate for them without overcompensating, so again, calorie counting really helps.

I have a friend that has told me they can control their weight by simply by "clean eating."

Here's a recent article that extols this approach, sort of. (At least it extols the virtues of not counting calories):

https://nyti.ms/2D3xzJe

I do note that the author describes some level of portion control and does watch her weight, cutting back on portions if it increases. Therefore, it sounds like she is "all but" calorie counting.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Rutabagas are not clean, just sayin’.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think it helps for sure, only because "real" food is a lot heavier than junk food. It's also a lot less exciting than, say, a donut. It becomes a cycle of eating only when you're hungry because you won't crave those foods in excess amounts, and those foods keeping you full for longer.

Throw everything I just said out the window if you've been on a cut for more than a year. God did I crave meat and potatoes 24/7. Would sometimes wake up in a cold sweat wanting a 7th meal even a month into my first bulk.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I generally ate whole foods and healthy and gained weight. I ate too much. If one is aware of portion sizes or has always been thin and never overeats then of course it's possible. It's just that a lot of people are clueless about how much they should be eating. If people knew this, we would not have an obesity epidemic. For me personally, it is much easier to count calories and know more or less what I'm eating in terms of calories, than it is to "guess" by eating a certain whole foods diet, "clean" (whatever that means), or low carb.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

You saying that "Swedes" are dirty??!?! :frowning:

Did you wash them “Swedes”?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I think it helps for sure, only because "real" food is a lot heavier than junk food. It's also a lot less exciting than, say, a donut. It becomes a cycle of eating only when you're hungry because you won't crave those foods in excess amounts, and those foods keeping you full for longer.

Throw everything I just said out the window if you've been on a cut for more than a year. God did I crave meat and potatoes 24/7. Would sometimes wake up in a cold sweat wanting a 7th meal even a month into my first bulk.

Thing is, there are many definitions of 'clean' food. As I type this, I'm eating dinner at the computer. A stirfry made up of fresh onion, frozen green beans, frozen cauliflower, frozen spinach, Soyganic smoked tofu, olive oil, and store-bought sweet-and-sour sauce with shirataki noodles. Is it healthy? I'd say so. Is it 'real'? Tastes real to me. Is it clean? Well, tofu is processed, as is the sauce. Oil is a processed food, as are frozen veggies, though I grant not "ultra" processed. So are the noodles. Is it heavier than junk food? Depends on your definition of junk food, I guess. And the quantities. But is it filling? Ohhhh, yeah!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

You saying that "Swedes" are dirty??!?! :frowning:

Did you wash them “Swedes”?

I always wash my "Swedes" behind the ears :wink:
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    a 4000 calorie salad with all vegetables is still 4000 calories might be nutritious repeat that 3 meals gets out of hand. All about portion control which is calorie control but if someone has the willpower to do another way more power to them. I know I can't and won't.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    a 4000 calorie salad with all vegetables is still 4000 calories might be nutritious repeat that 3 meals gets out of hand. All about portion control which is calorie control but if someone has the willpower to do another way more power to them. I know I can't and won't.

I want to see a 4000 calorie salad made out of all vegetables!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I want to see a 4000 calorie salad made out of all vegetables!

I want to see the person capable of eating that much volume.