Replies

• ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Garlic, mustards, vinegar (most of the time, sometimes I do), salt, pepper, in fact most spices. Coffee and tea (I drink them black).
  • Fizzypopization
    Fizzypopization Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Anything under 5 cals. Sometimes i dont log pickles because there isn't much calories and it just counts against my sodium. I don't believe that sodium is a problem and the daily limit kind of hogwash.
  • MrsBAT
    MrsBAT Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lemons/lemon juice, sometimes mustard, most fresh herbs, green onions, celery, added salt or any other spices, cooking spray... Basically, anything with 0 calories or close to it, I don't bother with. I do log my coffee, though, for some reason. I think I logged it waaaay back when I first joined and was logging every single thing ever, and it just became a habit (and when I have bad coffee, I add creamer, so the coffee log reminds me to not forget to log the creamer).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If I don't log tomatoes my deficit would be short of 200 calories. The only foods I don't log are herbs and non-significant amounts of spices. Sometimes I lazy log vegetables if there are many of them in my dish (I weigh the whole thing and log it as a single vegetable).
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    oreos don't count right :) I don't log condiments or for my salad I made a recipe entry for salad that gets usual ingredients but if I swap zucchini for broccoli one day I don't sweat that.
  • Rutzenj0712
    Rutzenj0712 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work nights as a nurse. If it's a busy night and I'm walking around like crazy, I don't log my coffee creamer.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't log salt and pepper. There are a few other spices I looked up at some point and figured the calories were irrelevant so I skip those too. But regarding actual mouthfuls of food, even if I had a mid-day or evening snack that was zero calories I log it as its own zero-calorie meal because I like knowing I did it so I am mindful about whether I'm actually hungry or eating out of boredom or something. And re: coffee, tea, and water, I like knowing how much caffeine I've had and how hydrated I am. These are not calorific and therefore fat loss-related, just other stuff I'm glad to be able to track on this site.

ETA: It just occurred to me that the reason behind this enquiry might be about how much effort one was willing to put into their logging vs. the need for accuracy. To that end I should add that I'm one of either the shameful minority or silent majority—don't know which—who eyeballs food or just uses cup measurements. I do this despite the risk of wild inaccuracy because in my case I knew I would never weigh food for the rest of my life, and I did not want to do any version of a 'diet' where I changed my behaviour after reaching goal weight (i.e., I wanted a lifestyle shift instead). Luckily enough it has worked in my case so far and I've mostly lost as predicted (faster than predicted in the first couple of months). That may change as the difference between my deficit and maintenance calories gets smaller near goal weight, but that's where I'm at right now.

TL;DR: I log everything except some spices, but not because I am looking for my calorie total to be precise.
  • Kida181
    Kida181 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Spices, water, gum, diet sodas, black coffee, tea, vitamins.
    Low calorie veggies I will log but I don't really measure them.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Cooking spray, lettuce, diet drinks and sometimes spices.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't log diet sodas at all, and I don't weigh protein powder. The rest of the non-liquids I weigh.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    I don't log diet sodas at all, and I don't weigh protein powder. The rest of the non-liquids I weigh.

I would weigh the powder if I were you. You maybe cutting yourself short on protein if you don't. The scoop that comes with ON Gold Standard, for example, does about 20 grams and the serving the 1 scoop serving size is listed at 31 grams.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I rarely logged raw or steamed green, non-starchy and non-sweet vegetables (lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cucumber, etc.). Ditto aromatics used to cook a dish (onions, pepper, garlic, celery, carrots).

If I had a very large portion of green salad or used aromatics in my cooking, I would generally call it 100 calories and be done with it.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't usually log sparkling water or crushed pepper. I log my candy weird, I eat 1-2 peanut butter m&ms most weeks days from a candy dish, it's part of a weird social habit I've developed at work. I refuse to log 1-2 m&ms so on Friday I log that I ate half a pack and figure it'll even itself out on my weekly average. I'm in maintenance though and I've been tracking for years so I feel like I have a pretty good general idea of what range I need to stay in and what that looks like.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Supplements and nuun, if under 10-15 calories.
    I guess I really should log electrolytes on long training days. That can be, like, 75 calories.

Oh yeah. And coffee. Don't log that either. (No one needs to know!)
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Gum should be logged if swallowed or by the person that steps on it.
  • _annyleigh
    _annyleigh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I usually don't log things that are under 5 calories (this isn't on purpose or a rule for myself, it just happens that way). I definitely don't log breath mints or gum. I don't log cooking spray or vitamins, and I don't log spices. If I eat one baby carrot or something as low-calorie as that, I don't log unless I have enough for it to make sense. I try to log as accurately as I can otherwise.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I don't count veggies, mostly the green ones (broc, spinach, kale, etc.) unless I cook in a fat (olive or coconut oil)
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The secret cookie jar under my bed that mFP doesn't know about......

....oh crap.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    There were times I didn't bother logging vegetables. My calorie target was high enough it was hard to imagine I could possibly overeat my target due to something like lettuce or broccoli and I was eating enough that tracking individual nutrients didn't seem worth it either.