Does training time and macros matter?

Options
I've been wondering about this for a while I eat around 1200 maybe 100 sometimes 100 more or less but my macros sugar, carbs, and protein are usually at extremes. My sugar and carb intake is almost always way over the goal and my protein is always way under I wonder if these are affecting my weight loss I feel like I've been maintaining when I should be losing. Should focus on my macros as well?

Also the length of my workouts particularly my strength training I've been doing M&S dumbbell program it says the work out should be 30 minutes I usually finish within 15 -20 mins excluding my warmup and I am struggling. Also, on days that I'm not training, I do 25-30 min HIIT, does that sound fine I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You will be losing weight eating 1200 calories. All exercise you actually do, is good.

1200 calories isn't much food, and it's a good idea to take care to get in quality food. We can eat sub-par for a while, and feel fine, but bad nutrition will catch up, and it's not going to be pretty. If it was me, I would cut down on the sugar and creamer, and eat more whole grains, fruit/veg, fish/meat. Your protein intake isn't dangerously low, but a bit inconsistent (hopefully just by inconsistent logging).
  • GirlVersusFat
    GirlVersusFat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You will be losing weight eating 1200 calories. All exercise you actually do, is good.

1200 calories isn't much food, and it's a good idea to take care to get in quality food. We can eat sub-par for a while, and feel fine, but bad nutrition will catch up, and it's not going to be pretty. If it was me, I would cut down on the sugar and creamer, and eat more whole grains, fruit/veg, fish/meat. Your protein intake isn't dangerously low, but a bit inconsistent (hopefully just by inconsistent logging).

Well I log, weigh, and measure everything, I thought I was generally eating healthy except for my coffee problem. I guess macros do matter but someone was telling me I need more protein so that I don't lose muscle, I guess I'll have focus on that too
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Matter in what way? Strictly speaking, you will still lose weight as long as it's really 1200 calories. It doesn't matter if those calories are just a giant pile of white sugar or a variety of fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and grains. So if all that matters is weight loss, then no, it doesn't matter.

However, it does matter for overall health and for satiety (and thus compliance). It's more challenging to stay at 1200 calories on junk because you'll probably be hungrier that way, and obviously 1200 calories' worth of vodka and Twinkies isn't as good for you as fruits/veggies/meat/etc.

It also probably matters for actual body composition, but I don't know enough to say much about that, so I won't.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    You will lose more muscle and less fat with your protein extremely low. You will lose about the same amount of weight, but your body composition will be different than had you gotten your macros correct.