Best DNA kits?

Options
Gaygirl2120
Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
I’m interested in trying one of those DNA kits to learn more about my ethnicity. Has anyone tried them? Which ones are the most accurate?

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of them are accurate tbh
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I did 23andMe and found out I have a slight increased risk of getting Alzheimer's. I also found a cousin that no one wanted me to find out about. Use with caution!
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options
    Mom? It's that you?

You lost me with that.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options
    I did 23andMe and found out I have a slight increased risk of getting Alzheimer's. I also found a cousin that no one wanted me to find out about. Use with caution!

Oh wow! I think it’s fascinating that you can find family members you never knew existed.
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options
    Mom? It's that you?

This made me think of a book I read as a kid. A Little bird asking everything if it is his mother.

ETA: Sorry OP I've never tried one

I love that book,
  • Smilin40
    Smilin40 Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I came from a drunk night after my uncle brendys wedding so I’m good with were I came from.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Accuracy is debatable. I did ancestry.com's kit, but since my family is big into genealogy, there were no surprise additions. I did get surprised by the lack of some family tree twigs not showing up in me, but no one gets dna from all of their twigs. (None of my German and relatively little of my various Celtic strains showed up, though Scotland and Wales could technically have been contributors to my British DNA based on the whole Venn diagram overlap.)

At some point, I may send my raw data to other companies for assessment.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options

Some are saying that the health insurance companies will discriminate and refuse to insure people for predisposed genetic conditions.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Mom? It's that you?

This made me think of a book I read as a kid. A Little bird asking everything if it is his mother.

ETA: Sorry OP I've never tried one

I love that book,

Me too! "Are you my mother?"
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Please don't give your DNA away, as you are giving up things you don't even know about yet. Your rights. Discrimination. They are storing it for future "We dont know yets." The mad scientists, and the Mormons Book.
    We came from our parents, and their parents, and their parents. Why do we have to know if our decendant is Hitler, or Vladimir The Empaler?
    My concern now is, 23 and me is claiming to be able to tell women if they have breast cancer. But it doesn't include all types of breast cancer. So they are playing into the fears of women now, just to get their DNA samples. Don't do it.
    Just my thoughts.

Some valid points here, there is alot of ethics to consider with DNA analysis. It can be very helpful in the right hands, but potentially harmful too.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »

Oh wow! I think it’s fascinating that you can find family members you never knew existed.

I remember mom telling me that my oldest sister favored my fathers Aunt America.
    She then told me that my other sister favored herself.
    She then told me that my older brother favored out father.
    Then she looked at me and said, "I don't know where you came from."
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options
    Please don't give your DNA away, as you are giving up things you don't even know about yet. Your rights. Discrimination. They are storing it for future "We dont know yets." The mad scientists, and the Mormons Book.
    We came from our parents, and their parents, and their parents. Why do we have to know if our decendant is Hitler, or Vladimir The Empaler?
    My concern now is, 23 and me is claiming to be able to tell women if they have breast cancer. But it doesn't include all types of breast cancer. So they are playing into the fears of women now, just to get their DNA samples. Don't do it.
    Just my thoughts.

That’s actually the one I was thinking of trying the most 23andme. For me it’s important because I’m adopted so I want to know where I came from. But I can understand so I’m having no interest in that but for me personally it’s important.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have done both 23AndMe and MyHeritage. Every company tests different markers. I have heard good and bad about all of them, so am not recommending one over the other, but MyHeritage partners with FamilyTreeDNA, so I get more matches that way. I have connected with 2nd and 3rd cousins and that has helped me connect some dots. I have been doing genealogy for many, many years and the DNA tests really intrigued me. There are a lot of companies out there doing these tests now. I have no fear of sharing mine what-so-ever. If it helps me as well as others, I think that's great. No fear of Big Brother Watching, down the road. Nat'l Geographic does tests as well.
  • cvirca
    cvirca Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Helix has a portfolio of targeted genetic analysis. I used Arivale for weight and heart genetics. My Arivale one-time coach recommended I use MyFitnessPal. I love it so far. I finally feel in control and more informed about my food choices.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    wow i'm not willing to pay out 249 bucks just to see where i come from on my real dad side. he was just a sperm donor. on my mom side i'm Norwegian and Swedish
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    michael1976 the more expensive tests are more involved. You can get the autosomal tests for as little as $59 & shipping on sale from a few different co's. For me it's to connect with family.