Doing things right (i think) and not really losing weight

Options
I have been working on losing weight for almost a year, I have lost over 60lb but things are stalling out. I only eat around 2500 calories a day and go to the gym every day (most of the time). My weight keeps going up and down and seems to hover between 390 and 398. I do rather well about sticking to my calories but I don't know why I am not losing more weight.

Some stats: I am 32 years old, 6'4 with a large frame. The things I am trying right now are drinking more water, getting more sleep and working out harder.

Am I eating too much? am I not eating enough? the 2500 calories a day were calculated by my fitness pal.

Help?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stalled?
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Congrats on your past weight loss!! Are you using a food scale to measure your intake? Also how long has it been since you last lost weight?
  • jardane1
    jardane1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I would say two months or so.
  • jardane1
    Options
    Congrats on your past weight loss!! Are you using a food scale to measure your intake? Also how long has it been since you last lost weight?

yes, I weight everything with a food scale.
  • jardane1
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Also, have you ever recalculated your calories, or have you been on 2500 the whole time? If you've never recalculated, it might be time to plug your current stats into MFP and see if you need to lower your intake to continue losing at the same rate.

2500 is the recalculated amount
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you changed your physical routine lately. Ironically, either answer could cause a problem.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?

g7jvlsqr9o2f.jpg
  • jardane1
    Options
    Have you changed your physical routine lately. Ironically, either answer could cause a problem.

I have been rather consistent that is what is the weird part.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    jardane1 wrote: »

I would say two months or so.

How confident are you about this? All of your other answers feel very definite, but this one doesn't.
  • Lesscookies12
    edited March 2018
    Options
    What did you set your loss goal as? 0.5, 1 pound ? 2 pounds? How do you track drinks? Do you ever scan products? Do you ever not track what you're eating? Is your diary open? If not please open it so we can view it and give some advice.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have been working on losing weight for almost a year, I have lost over 60lb but things are stalling out. I only eat around 2500 calories a day and go to the gym every day (most of the time). My weight keeps going up and down and seems to hover between 390 and 398. I do rather well about sticking to my calories but I don't know why I am not losing more weight.

Some stats: I am 32 years old, 6'4 with a large frame. The things I am trying right now are drinking more water, getting more sleep and working out harder.

Am I eating too much? am I not eating enough? the 2500 calories a day were calculated by my fitness pal.

Help?

Most likely a logging issue. I lost weight comfortably at about 2100-2300 calories per day being moderately active and I started at 240. Went down to 195. Back up now to about 205 (on purpose for lifting etc.)

I'm 20+ years older than you and only 5'11".

If you did nothing active at all and ate 2500 per day, you should be losing close to 2 pounds per week on average. If you have stalled for awhile, then I'm wondering if you are measuring your food closely enough. By that I mean everything to gram or the closest tenth of an ounce. Tighten that up and give it a few weeks.
  • jardane1
    Options
    Can you open your diary?

g7jvlsqr9o2f.jpg

Its open as far as I can tell and I am at the "see a doctor" stage, everything I am doing is right. I am tracking what I eat accurately, don't eat back my burned exercise calories.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Help?

Most likely a logging issue. I lost weight comfortably at about 2100-2300 calories per day being moderately active and I started at 240. Went down to 195. Back up now to about 205 (on purpose for lifting etc.)

If you did nothing active at all and ate 2500 per day, you should be losing close to 2 pounds per week on average. If you have stalled for awhile, then I'm wondering if you are measuring your food closely enough. By that I mean everything to gram or the closest tenth of an ounce. Tighten that up and give it a few weeks.

Agreed. I started at 330+ at 52 and 6'. Just kept mostly to the MFP guidelines and am down to ~205. 2500 is about right, but probably not what you are eating.
  • jardane1
    Options
    What did you set your loss goal as? 0.5, 1 pound ? 2 pounds? How do you track drinks? Do you ever scan products? Do you ever not track what you're eating? Is your diary open? If not please open it so we can view it and give some advice.

I scan everything I eat and weight it closely, water may be a factor because only this week have I been pushing my self to drink a lot of water.
  • Lesscookies12
    Options

I scan everything I eat and weight it closely, water may be a factor because only this week have I been pushing my self to drink a lot of water.

You said you haven't lost weight in 2 months I'm thinking it's probably not the water. You diary doesn't show up in your profile can you set it to public?
  • jardane1
    Options

Help?

Agreed. I started at 330+ at 52 and 6'. Just kept mostly to the MFP guidelines and am down to ~205. 2500 is about right, but probably not what you are eating.

I honestly am tracking very closely and only go over very rarely, I am not overeating that is what is frustrating. I tend to eat the same thing most days. My account is open so you can see what i am eating.
  • jardane1
    Options

You said you haven't lost weight in 2 months I'm thinking it's probably not the water. You diary doesn't show up in your profile can you set it to public?

it's not that I don't lose but it will go up and down, my weight log looks like an EKG lol