Can you control your weight by "clean eating" alone?

Options
13»

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I didn't read the article, but with regards to the general theme of controlling weight without counting calories, I've been doing that for quite a few years now. The bulk of my diet is lean protein, fruits and vegetables and "whole" foods. For me, it's next to impossible to over eat those things. I still indulge on a treat here and there or some calorie dense foods, but I never have to stress or worry about it.

Could I just ask you how many calories (about) you eat in a day? This works for someone who can eat 2500 calories and up a day. A small woman with 1400 or less calories a day can't do this.

Honestly I don't know, certainly over 2000 because I'm pretty active.
    But it can be done for smaller women. Unless my friend is an outlier, she easily keeps the weight off without counting on a diet whole foods.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'll say again that I can keep weight off without counting (and I do eat a diet of mostly whole foods), but that's -- for me -- quite a bit different from saying that all that is required is eating whole foods, or that I couldn't gain eating whole foods. In fact, I did gain eating basically the same mix of foods (mostly whole foods, lots of vegetables) as I eat now. (And that started when I went from quite active to not very active.) I find homemade foods more palatable for the most part than other options (with exceptions like really good cheese, of course).

What I need to do to not gain eating any diet, including mostly whole foods, is to pay attention, generally eat according to a schedule and what I've learned are reasonable portion sizes for me, generally don't snack. Occasional restaurants are fine, be reasonable; if I want to do a restaurant meal and not care (as when I have Indian), do it more rarely.

This kind of mental monitoring (although not calorie counting) seems similar to what Brody is talking about in the article linked in the OP.
  • cbohling1987
    cbohling1987 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Lol you've never seen me at a buffet, or a dinner out. I've never been anywhere close to underweight and was once a decent amount overweight. If left to my own devices, eating a highly palatable, processed, calorie dense diet, I'll pack on the pounds in no time if no other controls are put in place.

I believe you, I just don't think that's the case for most people. It's certainly not the case for me.

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I still have to count calories or I gain weight. I consider peanut butter clean, but u can’t sit down with the jar and a spoon.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    The short answer is yes.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    And my short answer would be no, I couldn't.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So the short answer is... Maybe?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Well it is certainly possible to control and maintain a healthy weight without calorie counting through portion control and basically eating similar things often. Eating clean limits you so much I'd guess that it probably would be easier to not overeat kind of like how monks probably don't have a lot of issues with over eating. That said it is overly strict in my opinion and unnecessary. It's subjective whether you find only eating chicken breast and broccoli to be more or less of a pain than simply calorie counting so I try not to judge.

That said if you are overweight and have difficulty with portion control switching to "clean" eating won't automatically fix that.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    For me, weight control means counting calories. The moment I stop, I start to gain. But, it doesn't really bother me to do it, so I do. I also do fairly intense workouts several times a week and I must eat extra calories to compensate for them without overcompensating, so again, calorie counting really helps.

I have a friend that has told me they can control their weight by simply by "clean eating."

Here's a recent article that extols this approach, sort of. (At least it extols the virtues of not counting calories):

https://nyti.ms/2D3xzJe

I do note that the author describes some level of portion control and does watch her weight, cutting back on portions if it increases. Therefore, it sounds like she is "all but" calorie counting.

I can't control my weight with clean eating, as in lose from an already high weight, but I think it can help prevent me from gaining. I gain mostly on sweets. I have tried controlling sweets and I don't do that very well. I am in my 30' s so I will stick with staying away from sweets and eating mostly while foods.