What gym do you frequent?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    A local gym that my buddy owns...

I love it because it's not an open gym...most people have to be working with one of the trainers. There are a handful of us who have "executive" memberships. Usually there's no more than a few other people there training...I usually go Sunday, Tuesday, Friday...on Sunday, I'm usually there by myself...on Friday, it's usually just my wife and I and her trainer in the late afternoon.
  • idioblast
    idioblast Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    YMCA

Pros:
    Childcare
    Group Ex with Les Mills (BodyCombat!)
    Family friendly
    Sports for the kids
    Pool in most locations
    Three locations within 10-15 minutes of my house
    Discount for members on after-school care

Cons:
    Price, although I pay $65 a month for a family of 5. We all use it in some way and I personally think it is totally worth it.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    AnvilTime wrote: »
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Anytime Fitness

Pros: Can go anytime of the day. Cheap.
    Cons: Not big enough

^^^^ That

x3. I love that Anytime Fitness is open 24/7, plus when I travel I can go to ANY of their locations. I just have to bring my key fob.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I went to a bodybuilding gym and miss it dearly. It wasn't packed, had a screened garage door they opened when it was nice, great locker facilities, but I get financial aid from the YMCA and they have a pool so I go there now. I can also go to the other branch in the city over. So its nice when I go to school I go to one, when I work I go to the other. I second what @Tacklewasher said though, definitely not enough squat racks. Ticks me off that I see like 4 in the personal training area but only one person is ever being trained at a time it seems. Put at least one of them out here!!!
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    These apply to my locations. I know every location is different....

10 Gym:
    +Has squat racks (#1 reason I go here!!!)
    +My teenage kids feel comfortable working out here
    +Most of the time, plenty of equipment that I am not waiting
    +So much more equipment than the other 2 gyms
    +Has a sauna
    -Is not open until 5am on Monday morning and later on weekends
    -Cardio equipment is not in the best shape
    -Can get crowded in the evening

Planet Fitness:
    +Has well working cardio equipment
    +Open 24/7
    -No squat racks
    -No row machines
    -No sauna/steam room

YMCA:
    +Within walking distance of my work & another close to home
    +Has spin
    +Has a pool
    -Gym area is small
    -Crowded at lunch and after work
    -Doesn't open until 5am on workday mornings
    -No sauna/steam room

My insurance pays for 2 of these memberships, and I pay for 10 gym.
    10 Gym is my main/go to gym, PF is my monday morning gym, and YMCA I use at lunch sometimes(cardio only) and also for Spin class. I also see a trainer and he is at a private individual owned gym. It is smaller and never crowded (Just too far for everyday)
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Planet Fitness- pros: cost and vicinity to job / cons: cleanliness

Blink: pros: cost, staff, trainers, up to date equipment/ cons: kinda far from work, can get crowded

Home: pros: free, 24/7 /cons: needs serious equipment upgrade, roving pets and family members (but I love em :) )
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Zodikosis wrote: »
    I work out at home now, but in the past I used to go to Lifetime gym.

Pros:
    * Ridiculous number of amenities -- free shampoo & conditioner, free makeup remover, free lotion, free mouthwash, free tampons, free q-tips, etc, etc
    * Lockers with built-in locks, just need your club card to use them
    * Towel service -- this was huge for me as if I go in the morning, I'll definitely want to shower before work, but definitely don't want a damp towel hanging around in my car/gym bag all day stinking up the place
    * Hair dryers
    * Eucalyptus steam room - I still miss these
    * Nice pool
    * Hot tubs
    * Sauna
    * Tons of equipment, including squat racks and benches. Only time it gets really cramped is during after-work hours in January
    * Awesome rock walls and the equipment/supervision to use them (also has auto-belays)
    * Lots of good classes
    * Free childcare for like 2 hours or something if you need it (I didn't)

They also have a spa, hair salon, nail salon, cafe...though they aren't the cheapest nor the best options around.

Cons:
    * Easily one of the most expensive gym chains
    * Not that many locations to choose from

I would probably sign up again if I lived closer to one, but alas...

this but not im at pf

cons
    Easily one of the most expensive gym chains

bad attitude of employees - lousy service

AND

Easily one of the most expensive gym chains

• Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    24 Hour Fitness
    Pros: open 24/7
    Fairly quiet in the mornings
    Steam room
    Sauna
    Plenty of cardio and weights
    I can go to any of the several locations in my city
    Access to a pool
    Personal trainers and staff are friendly and helpful

Cons:
    The location that I frequent is a little run down, always a few cardio machines down. But, there are a lot of machines so it balances out.
    Steam room and sauna could use some updating
    It's a little pricey for a chain with mostly older gyms
    $20 for a day pass to bring a guest (not a huge issue but when my mother in law visits she likes to work out with me and that adds up)
    While the trainers are great and they offer a great intro package, any training beyond that is expensive

All in all, I like it. I'll probably renew my contract when it expires. Cheaper gyms in the area are always packed.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I want to swim so I joined the Y.

Cons. Not cheap and they don't have enough squat racks.

LOL. I joined the Y to swim also.

It's cheaper than any other gym in the area with a pool. :neutral:

• Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Genesis Health Clubs

Pros:
    -Newly redone, is beautiful (all locations are getting revamped at some point I believe)
    -Plenty of squat racks/PLifting equipment
    -Open 24 hours, has a kids club open until 8:30pm
    -Literally make the best protein smoothies, I can't get enough
    -Some gperks rewards system I am still trying to kind of figure out
    -Four free personal training sessions when you sign up, trainer was experienced and let me ask the questions I need to get help on form/using machines
    -Half of lower gym has a turf with more racks, all kinds of different non basic equipment, lane for sprinting. Fun when I want to add accessory work

Cons:
    -Overly push personal training packages, which are $$$$$
    -Supplement pushing is annoying af
    -They check on me if I don't show up for awile ( haven't figured out if that is a pro or con fully yet)
    -Everyone on top of each other at 5pm, so I just avoid hell hour
    -Expensive month to month, I had to buy a two year membership to get decent rates

All in all though, I love my gym and I love being left alone to go kill it any time of night/day.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym much except to stretch or to work out Saturday night or Sundays. I joined 9Round & I couldn't be happier. It's a kickboxing themed workout & it's the hardest I've ever worked & I'm addicted.

There are 9 Rounds (hence the name) & the only constant is round 1 - the jump rope. You spend 3 minutes at each station & when the buzzer sounds @ 2:30, you increase your effort for the last 30 seconds. Then between each round there's a 30 second "active rest", which is a bunch of different exercises to keep you moving, like burpees, push ups, jumping jacks, etc. So you work out for about 35 minutes each time. It's strength & cardio

Cons: There aren't any locker rooms & no place to shower afterwards & it's a little expensive. Prices vary, but I started for one month @ $49, which includes 1 month, a pair of hand wraps, a water bottle, a heart rate monitor & a bag to carry it all in. I quickly paid the difference to $699 for a full year. There also might not be a location near where you live/work.

Pros: 1 - I work harder & burn more calories in 35 minutes than I do in over twice as long lifting at the gym. I burn 475-575 calories during each workout. 2 - It's never the same routine (other than the jump rope), I don't think I've repeated the same exercises at any of the rounds ever, so your body can't adapt & hit a plateau. 3 - There's ALWAYS a trainer to work with you & show you the exercises at each station. 4 - There's a new round starting every 3 minutes, so if you're running late, you won't miss anything. 5 - Their music is through Rockbot, so if you download the app, you can always put some of your favorite tunes in the queue. 6 - It's FUN! It doesn't matter if you're new or you've been there 50 times, you don't have to keep up with anybody, just push yourself. 7 - They have incentives. You get a free T-Shirt after your 50th & 100th workouts & they have weekly challenges where you might win a free pair of hand wraps or leaderboard challenges. I won the 1st leaderboard challenge & I won a bottle of supplements.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I go to my local Crunch where I live now.

Pros:
    Cost (about average but I got my first year on a special, so that helped)
    Location - about a mile from my house
    Available equipment and classes
    Cleanliness

Cons
    Hours - wish they'd open an hour earlier in the morning
    Size - this one is small, it's okay first thing in the morning, but can get pretty dang crowded at other times, haven't even bothered trying an afternoon/evening
    Amenities - I really wanted a gym with a pool, but none nearby had one (unless the price was outrageous)
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I have 2...

One in NY. It’s a pretty special facility. Then I also belong to equinox since I travel enough.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Equinox. It's the best.

I won’t ask which one you go to for privacy reasons....

I’ve only been to a couple in nyc but I never loved the energy.
    I honestly hate the crowd that frequents the Cali equinox gyms.
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Cal Fit

Pros: Extremely Close 2 min drive
    Next to the best ice creamery in town

Cons: Weekend Hours closing at 9. Those are the days I can stay up late
    Next to the best ice creamery in town
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    LA Fitness

Pros:
    Multiple convenient locations by my house and work
    Opens at 5 am so I can do AM workouts
    Not too crowded in the mornings--sometimes I have to get creative with my strength training or ask to work in, but it is few and far between
    Ample space
    Plenty of dumbbells, racks, and machines
    Locker rooms are some of the better I have seen
    Sauna, hot tub, lap pool
    Full length basketball court and 4 racquetball court
    Studio and spin room for classes--or some people will go in to box in the studio (equipment provided minus gloves)
    Free Wifi

Cons:
    Personal training is pretty expensive
    While the locker room is nice, the showers could use some improvement
    Some people with poor gym manners
    Equipment goes down and sometimes it can be down for a week or 2--but plenty others around
    The staff at the location by my work are sullen and not friendly in the mornings
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    My city (Chicago) has fitness centers in many parks. Very basic equipment but no one is ever in there. $150 a year. Worth it.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Planet Fitness

Pros: inexpensive, tanning, hydrobeds, massages chairs are included if you have their Black Card membership, lots of machines, good location for me (within walking distance of my house), open 24/7 and I believe every day of the year, with the Black Card membership you can use any location

Cons: sometimes overcrowded, staff isn't overly friendly (which is fine, but it wouldn't kill you to say hello as a member walks in), doesn't offer group classes, no child care
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    erockem wrote: »
    I want to swim so I joined the Y.

Cons. Not cheap and they don't have enough squat racks.

LOL. I joined the Y to swim also.

It's cheaper than any other gym in the area with a pool. :neutral:

I see the other place I can swim (the place I take lessons at) is cheaper than my Y. Just not closer.

My Y is ~$65 per month (Cdn). The place run by the city is $424.30 per year.

Now I'm wondering what they have for hours. They are a bit out of the way, but.....