What gym do you frequent?

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I went to a local gym because I needed babysitting. The Y had it, but the area was TINY and my kids didn't like the ladies that worked there...

It was way too expensive though so I just bought a treadmill and canceled (I have dumbbells too), now that my kids are old enough that I can leave them alone for 2 hours while I work out upstairs.

It was nice though, pool, classes etc, 20 minute walk if I wanted to, next to my dentist and the place where I take my car for oil changes, but not enough benches and they frowned at using the heavy lifting area if you were not with a trainer... But honestly, I just didn't want to wait in line anyway... and yeah, $70 a month, yikes.

I do miss having Solitaire on the treadmill, but at least I can watch stuff on my tablet still.

They also had 2 free training session every 6 weeks (but again, frowned about heavy lifting and pushed machines/body weight stuff), and nurse appointments that used an inaccurate device to calculate your body fat...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Everybody Fitness (local chain that bought out the one I joined)

Pros:
    -cheap
    -free weights

Cons:
    -they close early on weekends (if I want to work out after work on Saturday I have to go straight there)
    -older equipment from when it was Ballys 10+ years ago
    -the weights on the women's side are seriously lacking (Smith machine, one bench, sled, then machines)
  • deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use the local high school weight room

pros:
    cheap
    usually empty
    close to home
    I can drop my kiddo off at wrestling practice and its literally the room next door, so I don't have to sit in a smelly wrestling room full of boys lol

cons:
    its always a mess because the teens never clean up
    its full of machines and not much in free weights
    old equipment
    only open m/w/f from 6-8 but that works for me so its all good
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Anytime Fitness
    Pro: Cost, Cleanliness, Lots of space, not overly crowded, new owner just got some brand new equipment and added things like battle ropes and TRX straps, open 24/7

Cons: Only one power rack, but I can usually work around that, no pool

Local Community Center
    Pro: Cost (because I get a discount for working in the same city), pool, lots of equipment - basically joined for the pool
    Cons: weights and cardio is crowded all the time, classes when an average 8-5 job person could go are not ideal

9Rounds
    Pro: the trainers push me pretty hard, great cardio workout in 30-40 minutes, different everyday, no class times (can start every 3.5 minutes)
    Cons: cost, not open on Sundays (generally doesn't bother me though), no showers

• AlainaKayy
    AlainaKayy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone for your answers!
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    AlainaKayy wrote: »
    Any pros or cons?

YMCA. It has everything.

My YMCA has pool, Jacuzzi spa, steam room, dry sauna, resistance machines, top of the line cardio machines , free weights, indoor track, large gym, all sorts of classes, child care, trainers, and more.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    What gym do you frequent?

Mainly the one in my basement ... because it is convenient.

Occasionally the university gym ... more equipment, nice to get out once in a while, relatively inexpensive
  • CharlesS6730
    CharlesS6730 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The advantage of working for a fitness company (Bowflex) is our employee Gym. It includes locker rooms and showers. Plus my desk is about 100ft from the entry of the gym so I may pop in there between projects for a little lifting and some cardio on lunch.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    AlainaKayy wrote: »
    Any pros or cons?

YMCA. It has everything.

My YMCA has pool, Jacuzzi spa, steam room, dry sauna, resistance machines, top of the line cardio machines , free weights, indoor track, large gym, all sorts of classes, child care, trainers, and more.

The pool, hot tub, and pre-cor machines sold me on my local Y!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Been a member of 3.

Planet Fitness - i loved. the one i went to (and i know some are different) was always immaculately clean, the equipment working properly (or repaired quickly when it did break down) and the staff was knowledgeable and friendly. only reason i left was because it was no longer on my 'path' and 30 minutes away. cons - for me, none.

Anytime Fitness. HATED it. Dirty, staff was NEVER there (they worked something like 11-3. really????), bathrooms were gross, trash bins always overflowing, the same boken equipment that was there when i joined, was still broken when I left. oh, you want good too. ummmm 24/7 and lots of locations i guess.

NOW, I am at a local gym. I really enjoy it. Very clean, staff is friendly, lots of classes (I dont use them but they seem popular), large weight section and mix of machines and free weights, also 24/7. Cons - none that I can think of.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    XSports here in Chicago. 9.99 a month. A great weight room and lots of cardio equipments!
  • CircleJerkk
    CircleJerkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness
    Pros: cheap, can bring a friend, tanning, open 24 hours 5 days per week (good for those of us who work the night shift)

Cons: sometimes it's really packed and can be hard to find parking, but I just avoid those hours.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I also go to Anytime Fitness and it is small BUT my town is small, so it's never been a problem. Exactly one time I went early on a weekend to treadmill run and all five were occupied, but we all seem to manage to work around each other the rest of the time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Y
    I go for swimming, also do weights, but it's 35 min drive.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    LA Fitness. Only gym within a 10-minute drive of my house that has a pool. And a pool is the primary reason for joining.