Types of Fish

Options
13»

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    I just made a chowder last weekend that had haddock, cod, scallops, clams, and shrimp...yummy.

Can I have some?
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I don’t know if Tilapia is bad for you but it tastes like dirt to me, so yea, bad!

^QFT. Tilapia wins the "most disgusting fish" award IMO. Yuck.

The first couple times I tried it I would have said the same. It wasn't a flavor issue, it was a texture issue as it was just really mushy. I love crappie though too and have had crappie that was that way, especially catching them on their beds.

We by the pre-packaged Tilapia filets from Costco and I like them. We typically do them up by pan frying them in a little olive oil or broiling them lemon-pepper style and they are fine.

As for being bad for you, there CAN be inflammation issue if you were to eat a ton of it due to the amount of Omega-6 in it it but as part of a well rounded diet you should be fine. Knowing where your fish came from can make a difference too since it is farmed. Most of it is from China for obvious reasons (LOTS of space to farm) but it is farmed in well over 100 countries around the world.

For us, we don't do a lot of fish, even though we like most of them. I don't do raw so sashimi is out for me. For us it is typically salmon (farmed or wild caught) or tilapia but we do periodically get Atlantic Cod, pollock and on occasion we will pick up some halibut if we go to the fish market. Shrimp and scallops too.