Elliptical - Love it, but....

Options
my feet get tingly after about 20 min. I was wearing running shoes and thought maybe they did not have enough cushioning, so I bought a pair of cross trainers. They are no better. I have iffy knees so I get a better work-out on the elliptical vs. treadmill or walking outside. I assume this happens because you do not lift your feet when on an elliptical, thus more pressure on the bottom of the foot and reduction in circulation. This is not an issue I have with other activities. It's also causing me to reduce my time on the elliptical. For now, I am trying 15 minutes on elliptical followed by 30 minutes of weights and then finishing up with another 15 on the elliptical. I would really like to be able to go for 45 minutes on the elliptical though. Any suggestions to alleviate this?

Replies

• elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Make sure your shoes aren't tied too tightly. Once I loosened up my shoestrings, the numbness went away.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I did think of that last night and plan to adjust tonight.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I get that when I run too, though mainly just my 'ring' toe, on both feet.... DUnno what causes it, though, cause I get it on the treadmill too...
  • iwillbeoneday
    iwillbeoneday Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have the exact problem. It use to bug me but I've managed to get use to it so can workout for 45-60 mins on the elliptical. What i do is when it becomes numb, I kind of do a walking type of sride. Instead of leaving my feet on it, i lift them up like kind of doing "high knees". As soon as I gain feeling, I put them pack on like normal.
  • SarahBC
    SarahBC Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I get the same feeling, I just make the machine go backwards for a minute until it goes away and then keep going
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem on the elliptical machine. But now I have started using more of a rolling motion through my foot. I don't keep my feet flat on the treads, but I roll from heel to toe with every "stride". It's helped a lot. Also, I am doing an interval workout. I sprint for about a minute every 2.5 to 3 minutes then cycle back down to regular pace, rather than keeping a static pace the whole time. Not sure which has worked more, but I don't have the problem with my feet falling asleep any longer. :)
  • complejo
    complejo Posts: 36
    Options
    Yeah, I find that if I keep my feet completely flat they start going to sleep... well one of them... I try to "move around" so to speak every now and then. Maybe lean my body forward for a bit, go backwards, or just re adjust the placement of my foot on the machine and it helps.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I found a good solution to this issue. I pulled out my old sketchers shape up shoes. The sole is rounded to suppposedly to help with balance and muscle tone. I'm not sure how much it did for those, but it does help on the elliptical. I think it's because the shape of the sole causes you to roll your foot from front to back instead of keeping them flat.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I had this issue as well.

If you are like me you are working yourself up onto the balls of your feet. You need to work harder at keeping your food flat, make yourself touch your heel on the step while you are using it even to the point that you are on your heels and off your toes.

You will find if you start paying attention to your foot placement and get off your toes the problem will cure itself.
  • Missy0104
    Options
    I got that on the Arc Trainer too and found that my toes were pushed forward into my sneaker and my toes go numb. I had to keep moving my feet to keep the toes from getting pushed forward with each rotation.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing! I always thought it was how I was standing or how I walked or something lol.. I also learned that sometimes when that happens it means you dont drink enough water. but if that were your case I would think it would happen with every activity.. not just the elliptical.. and numb/tingly feet seem to be a common thing for people using the elliptical! I LOVE the elliptical! I lost 30 lbs doing just an hour on the elliptical a day.. sometimes I would go twice but not everyday.