Best DNA kits?

Options
2»

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    PAnn1 wrote: »
    michael1976 the more expensive tests are more involved. You can get the autosomal tests for as little as $59 & shipping on sale from a few different co's. For me it's to connect with family.

that's worth it thanks for sharing
  • CDAVCROSSFIT
    CDAVCROSSFIT Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I’ve got royalty and loyalty inside my DNA.
  • cc102296
    cc102296 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i have no answer to your question but DAMN you are a beauty
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    I did 23andMe and found out I have a slight increased risk of getting Alzheimer's. I also found a cousin that no one wanted me to find out about. Use with caution!

Oh wow! I think it’s fascinating that you can find family members you never knew existed.
    Please don't give your DNA away, as you are giving up things you don't even know about yet. Your rights. Discrimination. They are storing it for future "We dont know yets." The mad scientists, and the Mormons Book.
    We came from our parents, and their parents, and their parents. Why do we have to know if our decendant is Hitler, or Vladimir The Empaler?
    My concern now is, 23 and me is claiming to be able to tell women if they have breast cancer. But it doesn't include all types of breast cancer. So they are playing into the fears of women now, just to get their DNA samples. Don't do it.
    Just my thoughts.

That’s actually the one I was thinking of trying the most 23andme. For me it’s important because I’m adopted so I want to know where I came from. But I can understand so I’m having no interest in that but for me personally it’s important.

Be prepared that you may be opening Pandora's Box.
  • Fisah17
    Fisah17 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Mom? It's that you?

This made me think of a book I read as a kid. A Little bird asking everything if it is his mother.

ETA: Sorry OP I've never tried one

Lol, it's a Dr. Seuss book "Are you my mother?"
  • hopefuldreamfairy
    hopefuldreamfairy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    23andme hands down. I've done 23andme, Ancestry, & MyHeritage. Ask me anything. 23andme has recently introduced a new tool where instead of showing which 31 regions your DNA may be from; it now will have 150 countries in total. It'll be released to new customers before the existing ones (so unfortunately I have to wait). It's much better than Ancestry in terms of identifying which particular countries or regions your DNA traces back to. I'm mixed black, white and Asian and it has given me the most detailed results out of all the DNA kits. It also has the health option for an extra price and it'll determine whether you carry any variants for about 40-50 diseases, it'll determine your likelihood for various genetic traits, your mtdna haplogroup (you maternal ancestor from 20-50,000 years ago), which DNA segments and their ancestral background (if they decide to share with you) you share with matched relatives. You also see how your ancestral DNA looks on your chromosomes and you get a timeline of where your ancestors are from. You can also use your 23andMe results on sites such as WeGene, Promethease, and MyHeritage to gain a better understanding of how your DNA influences your health. Promethease offers an extensive list of diseases you have, may be a carrier for or your likelihood for it. It's absolutely amazing and worth the $5. You can also used GEDmatch and some other sites to analyze your DNA with their tools.

godognuwm1qw.png

bpbzukg51rhb.png
    ax6ewek60etg.png
    7hjjil1rnw56.png

2zhx4hipdqeq.png
    njcuv35dn3q9.png

• Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    23andme hands down. I've done 23andme, Ancestry, & MyHeritage. Ask me anything. 23andme has recently introduced a new tool where instead of showing which 31 regions your DNA may be from; it now will have 150 countries in total. It'll be released to new customers before the existing ones (so unfortunately I have to wait). It's much better than Ancestry in terms of identifying which particular countries or regions your DNA traces back to. I'm mixed black, white and Asian and it has given me the most detailed results out of all the DNA kits. It also has the health option for an extra price and it'll determine whether you carry any variants for about 40-50 diseases, it'll determine your likelihood for various genetic traits, your mtdna haplogroup (you maternal ancestor from 20-50,000 years ago), which DNA segments and their ancestral background (if they decide to share with you) you share with matched relatives. You also see how your ancestral DNA looks on your chromosomes and you get a timeline of where your ancestors are from. You can also use your 23andMe results on sites such as WeGene, Promethease, and MyHeritage to gain a better understanding of how your DNA influences your health. Promethease offers an extensive list of diseases you have, may be a carrier for or your likelihood for it. It's absolutely amazing and worth the $5. You can also used GEDmatch and some other sites to analyze your DNA with their tools.

godognuwm1qw.png

bpbzukg51rhb.png
    ax6ewek60etg.png
    7hjjil1rnw56.png

2zhx4hipdqeq.png
    njcuv35dn3q9.png

Thank you so much! That was the one I was leaning towards. So I think I’m going to try it. I’m very interested in seeing the results
  • hopefuldreamfairy
    hopefuldreamfairy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You're welcome! It's a really exciting experience, I've also learned a great deal about my family history from relatives on my maternal side compared to the nothing I knew beforehand. Best of luck!
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    We used 23 and me and it matched up perfectly to what we already knew so I would say that it was accurate for me.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I'm a Mutt.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone who offered helpful information and experiences about this
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Please don't give your DNA away, as you are giving up things you don't even know about yet. Your rights. Discrimination. They are storing it for future "We dont know yets." The mad scientists, and the Mormons Book.
    We came from our parents, and their parents, and their parents. Why do we have to know if our decendant is Hitler, or Vladimir The Empaler?
    My concern now is, 23 and me is claiming to be able to tell women if they have breast cancer. But it doesn't include all types of breast cancer. So they are playing into the fears of women now, just to get their DNA samples. Don't do it.
    Just my thoughts.

That’s actually the one I was thinking of trying the most 23andme. For me it’s important because I’m adopted so I want to know where I came from. But I can understand so I’m having no interest in that but for me personally it’s important.

If you are adopted and hope to identify your birth parents, your best bet is to cast your net as widely as possible and try all three major companies, 23 and me, familytreedna, and Ancestry. If you have to pick just one in this situation, Ancestry wins with no others even close, simply because of their giant database of other users, and because you can upload their test to familytreedna for a discount. Also upload your Ancestry test to the free service Gedmatch.com.

If you are concerned with health, 23 and me is the winner, but there are also other companies which will work with your Ancestry.com test data for free.

As far as identifying your "ethnicity," this part of the test is largely baloney. Any test will accurately identify which continent your ancestors came from, but you probably know that already by your looks. No test is able to accurately separate and identify DNA within continents, with a handful of exceptions. There has simply been too much intermarriage and movement - Germans and French and British people do not appear greatly different at a genetic level in any way which is consistent. NO DNA TEST IS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER AT THIS, THEY ALL USE THE SAME PROCESS AND ALL FAIL EQUALLY. 23 and me's more detailed information (about ethnicity, not medical information which is a different subject) is simply more detailed guessing. It is not valid.

Reading the Ancestry forums, I have seen all sorts of results with adoptees and testing. The most dramatic was a woman tested and instantly her birth mother popped up as a match. Then her birth mother refused all contact with her and she was heartbroken - because her name was an internet handle with no identifying information, she was left with nothing more to go on than before. But the typical user gets a long list of fourth cousins with one or two closer cousins who have no clue how the user might be related. Then after some detective work the user may narrow it down to a couple of possibilities. Then one or the other of those possibilities might agree to contact someone for testing, and in some cases birth parents are found. Some people never find much of anything, and some like the woman above find their birth parents instantly. If you decide to do this, you need to be open to what might happen.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I’m interested in trying one of those DNA kits to learn more about my ethnicity. Has anyone tried them? Which ones are the most accurate?

I have also heard stories that once your DNA is in the database they can sell it to anyone. So no thanks I dont need to know that badly.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    I’m interested in trying one of those DNA kits to learn more about my ethnicity. Has anyone tried them? Which ones are the most accurate?

I have also heard stories that once your DNA is in the database they can sell it to anyone. So no thanks I dont need to know that badly.

This is what I think about too, so I hesitate to try it

Yeh you apply for something and get denied and dont know why. Like life insurance
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options
    Just my thoughts.

If you are adopted and hope to identify your birth parents, your best bet is to cast your net as widely as possible and try all three major companies, 23 and me, familytreedna, and Ancestry. If you have to pick just one in this situation, Ancestry wins with no others even close, simply because of their giant database of other users, and because you can upload their test to familytreedna for a discount. Also upload your Ancestry test to the free service Gedmatch.com.

If you are concerned with health, 23 and me is the winner, but there are also other companies which will work with your Ancestry.com test data for free.

As far as identifying your "ethnicity," this part of the test is largely baloney. Any test will accurately identify which continent your ancestors came from, but you probably know that already by your looks. No test is able to accurately separate and identify DNA within continents, with a handful of exceptions. There has simply been too much intermarriage and movement - Germans and French and British people do not appear greatly different at a genetic level in any way which is consistent. NO DNA TEST IS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER AT THIS, THEY ALL USE THE SAME PROCESS AND ALL FAIL EQUALLY. 23 and me's more detailed information (about ethnicity, not medical information which is a different subject) is simply more detailed guessing. It is not valid.

Reading the Ancestry forums, I have seen all sorts of results with adoptees and testing. The most dramatic was a woman tested and instantly her birth mother popped up as a match. Then her birth mother refused all contact with her and she was heartbroken - because her name was an internet handle with no identifying information, she was left with nothing more to go on than before. But the typical user gets a long list of fourth cousins with one or two closer cousins who have no clue how the user might be related. Then after some detective work the user may narrow it down to a couple of possibilities. Then one or the other of those possibilities might agree to contact someone for testing, and in some cases birth parents are found. Some people never find much of anything, and some like the woman above find their birth parents instantly. If you decide to do this, you need to be open to what might happen.

Thank you so much for sharing this with me. I might look into some of those forums. I know both my birth parents have passed sadly. I am open to meeting family members if that is an option though. I just want to learn more about myself basically.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in the health report offered by 23andme. I wanna know if I'm gonna end up talking to microwaves like my uncles.
  • CircleJerkk
    CircleJerkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I used 23andme. It's pretty cool, very detailed. I know people who used ancestry and their reports weren't as detailed as mine was