Question for women about weight loss and periods

Options
I started losing weight about 1 month ago. I have lost 15lbs so far. I have been feeling great and been more energized, but I have had a problem- my period(maybe) has started acting funny. I will bleed for 2-3 days with a 2-3 day break and then start bleeding again. This only started when I began dieting. I am eating 1,300-1,500 cals a day, so I am eating plenty. I plan on asking my GYNO about this when I go to my yearly check-up in a couple of weeks. I was just curious is anyone else has encountered this while losing weight. My diary is open if you think looking and what I have been eating will help!

Replies

• feleciabowman08
    feleciabowman08 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    15lbs of loss in a month is very aggressive unless you have a lot of weight to lose. I'd talk to your doctor for sure if this is out of the norm. I have lost 59lbs in a years time and have not experienced this.

I have about 105lbs to lose total from my start weight. I have tried to make sure that I am eating plenty and getting a wide variety.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I out of the blue one day started eating a calorie deficit and working out religiously everyday.
    My body felt great, I had so much energy AND THEN..... All of the sudden, I would go for a run and I would bleed for about an hour or two after and then return to normal. This happened for a while (I was tracking it so that I could tell my gyno about all of it instead of a random occurrence)

For me - I talked to my gyno and he said that exercise increases your hormones and can throw your body off for a bit until it gets use to the new routine. Also, I sometimes skip my placebo pills and only have periods every 2 or 3 months on the pill. The week before the bleeding started was my anniversary and I skipped my period that was supposed to start. So my body was adamantly trying to make me have my period, plus I was throwing it off with the exercise and continuing to take the pill to try and stop it.

Ultimately, what I did was I went off the pill (told my husband so no surprises would happen). Let my body have a normal period and then went back to taking the pill again. So far it has not happened again and I'm back to having periods every 2-3 months again. My Dr. advised me that it's completely healthy to skip my periods, but to give my body a break every now and then and allow my body to have normal every month periods every once in a while.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Hormones are stored in your fat, so as you shed weight, those hormones get flushed out and weird things happen. When I'm losing weight consistently, I get lots of spotting. When I'm maintaining, no spotting and periods are like clockwork.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Last time I had those symptoms consistently, I had fibroids. I was also losing weight, but a D&C cleared up the issue.
  • feleciabowman08
    Options
    Thank you guys. I wasn't extremely worried and figured it could wait until my next normal appointment. I figure it was to do with weightloss!
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm on team fibroid also and this happens to me. It's not related to weight loss for me. It wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor about it if it keeps happening.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I recently started a Keto diet (around the same calories as you, maybe 1300-1400) and got my period after 3 weeks instead of the usual 4. So curious as well if there's a reason for it. I did South Beach Diet about 10 years ago and remember also having my period act a little funny, coming more frequently than usual--though I got pregnant almost instantly after we decided to try so it obviously did not impact my fertility.
  • feleciabowman08
    Options
    Last time I had those symptoms consistently, I had fibroids. I was also losing weight, but a D&C cleared up the issue.

I will ask my doctor about it when I go!
  • szkasha
    szkasha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Literally everything with mess with your hormones. :( I would for sure talk to your doctor.
  • janstewart62
    janstewart62 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks....I thought it was just me....I am 55 and thought I was done with all of that...I started back trying really hard since Feb and lost 12 pounds but started spotting like 20 years ago...plus I have been walking and getting my steps in ....over 10000 most days....now I don't feel so bad or that its a problem..!