What's for breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• krissmb
    krissmb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    g4s0opfmyfr8.jpeg

Savoury steel cut oats! If you have the time they will fill you for hourrssss. I use:
    - 1/4 c PC Blue Menu 100% WG Steel Cut Oats
    - 30-50g Roasted sweet potato or butternut squash (small cubes)
    - 15-20g Baby spinach (chopped rough)
    - Splash of Soy milk or cream
    - 1 tsp Vegan margarine or butter
    - 1 soft poached egg
    - Salt/ground pep to taste

Slow cook the oats on the stove (to your thickness which is about 20-25mins for me), add in the roasted veg and spinach about 5 minutes before them being done. Add a splash of soy milk or cream (watch the fats) and margarine/butter. When almost done, poach a soft egg, plate the oats, add the egg on top and salt/pep. Deeeeeelicous!!
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I start off every day with 1 Thomas English Whole Wheat Muffin (100cals) then 2 slices of low sodium turkey bacon, two eggs (from my own chickens) 1 tbs simply all fruit spread and then coffee with splenda. I'm at 330 cals and it always makes me feel ready to go for the day. Really fills me up.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Tuna and avacado on a piece of toast
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    1/4 steel cut oatmeal w water/milk to cook. Top w 1/4c frozen blueberries. Canadian bacon, boiled egg. Herbal tea.

Funny in Canada we call that Peameal bacon! It's soooo yummy!!
  • Phaewryn
    Phaewryn Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I make these early in the week for grab-and-go breakfast:

Quinoa Veggie Protein Egg Bites, makes 9 (in a regular muffin tin)

vd1uhjcppg53.png

Ingredients:
    4 Large Eggs
    0.25 cup (46g) Quinoa (prepared in water and cooled)
    85 grams Carrots, diced
    5 ounces of Rainbow Bell Peppers, chopped
    1/4 cup Whey Protein Concentrate
    4 tbsp Mild Southwestern Salsa (the kind with black beans and corn in it)
    1 tsp Minced Garlic
    1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
    1/4 tsp Cajun Seasoning
    1 tsp Mrs Dash type seasoning
    1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
    1 tsp Saffron Rice Seasoning (yellow rice seasoning)
    1 tbsp, Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Prepare quinoa in advance and allow to cool. Dice carrots and saute in the tablespoon of olive oil, covering to allow to steam til just no longer crunchy. Transfer to bowl and put in freezer to cool. Crack 2 eggs into a bullet blender and add the whey protein powder, blend til smooth and blended. Transfer to mixing bowl, scraping sides of bullet cup clean. (if you don't have a bullet blender just whisk it in as best you can) Add the 2 other eggs, and all the other ingredients and stir til mixed. Spray nonstick muffin tins with some nonstick spray. In regular-sized muffin tins this make 9 muffins and each muffin is almost exactly 90 calories. Fill the muffin cups til almost full using a big spoon and being sure stir the mixture so you get an even egg to solids ratio in each cup, and bake at 325 until the centers are no longer liquid (it's egg, so it's pretty easy to eyeball or just poke it with a toothpick and if it comes out mostly dry they are done). I never time anything, sorry, I think it maybe takes like 15 minutes? Just hover in the kitchen - I swear it's not too long! Remove from oven and transfer to a plate to cool, then store in a zip-lock baggie in the fridge. They keep a long time in the fridge (all week) or you can freeze them too.

These are quite mild, if you wanted you could use a hot salsa or add more spices. It's also easy to scale the recipe up to make more.

Total Fat 4 g
    Saturated Fat 1 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 87 mg
    Sodium 107 mg (you can get this lower by leaving out the saffron rice seasoning which is high in salt)
    Potassium 68 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 6 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sugars 2 g
    Protein 6 g

They are fine cold, good at room temperature, but better if you have the time to warm them up (it only takes like 5-10 minutes in the oven just on the rack at 350, or seconds in the microwave). I've also made them with a crust on the bottom which would give you some more calories/carbs, and you can add cheese too. You could probably double the whey protein powder as well as you can't taste it at all in these. If you add a crust they are more or less tiny little quiches. They are totally finger food. At 90 calories, you can choose how many to allow yourself for breakfast. I usually eat two plus a big coffee with half & half in it. If you needed a bit more ooophf, these could be eaten with a bowl of oat bran (or oatmeal, I just prefer the easy chugging no-chewing nature of oat bran) and get you all the way to lunch no problem. You can carry these around in a baggie and eat them anywhere.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Really need some ideas to start my day off and have energy that will last.

Cereal, boiled egg, toast, tea.

That's what I have almost every day.
  • bezlooney
    bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Eggs for me works! This is make ahead friendly
    http://www.looneyforfood.com/crustless-spinach-quiche/