Sleep - How Much Do You Need and How Much Do You Get?

Options

Replies

• Build4Longevity
    Build4Longevity Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    I usually get 7 straight, but I wonder when they recommend 7 to 9 hours of sleep, do they mean consecutively or it can be split throughout the day?

7-9hrs range each day.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I usually get 7 straight, but I wonder when they recommend 7 to 9 hours of sleep, do they mean consecutively or it can be split throughout the day?

7-9hrs range each day.
    But i doesn't have to be consecutive....for example you sleep let's say 3 hours (from 1pm to 4pm) and sleep for 4 hours (from 9pm to 1am).

• Build4Longevity
    Build4Longevity Posts: 23 Member
    Options

7-9hrs range each day.
    But i doesn't have to be consecutive....for example you sleep let's say 3 hours (from 1pm to 4pm) and sleep for 4 hours (from 9pm to 1am).

That's fine if you want to split it up. However, the main thing we should watch for is our energy level each day. If your energy level is up and consistent each day, then you are are getting enough sleep. If you find yourself nodding off in a meeting, low energy etc., you are not getting enough sleep. Naps are good if you can get one each day. Particularly for those of us who gets 6hrs or less. Keep in mind the amount of sleep and alertness/energy level varies from person to person. There are people that only need 6hrs of sleep each day and there energy level is through the roof. However, most of us do need 7-9 hrs a daily, but it doesn't have to be straight 7-9hrs each day. It can be broken up each day. For example sleep 6hrs here and add 2hrs nap later. The only problem with that is the nap may keep you up later and end up not getting enough sleep the next day. That depends on when you take that nap.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    More, Not enough.

7-8, 6ish
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I need 7-8 and get 8 most nights. Sometimes on the weekend I'll sleep 10 hours though, and feel great.

• Merlotmom16
    Merlotmom16 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I need a solid 7-8. If I go through a period where I get less or it is a less restful sleep then I can usually catch up with a longer period of 9-10 hours over the weekend. My body seems to know what I need and when. I love not setting an alarm and just waking up when I am refreshed.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I need 8-9 most nights (of actual sleep). I can have a night, maybe two with less than that here and there an be okay, but if it lasts any longer I just can't function - been that way since kindergarten, I'm 39 now, doubt it will change LOL.

On any less (say, 7.5/night) I start getting VERY cranky, short tempered, so tired I can damn near fall asleep standing up, and it's all I can do to not fall asleep at my desk. Bump up over that magic 8 hours a night and I'm golden....energetic, very even tempered, not fighting off sleep...
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I need 8 hours to be well rested and feel fabulous. During my TOM I'm restless all night and only get about 6-7 and some nights I get about 5 hours and my body does not like that. If I get less than 6 hours of sleep I make it up by taking a nap in the day time or go to bed as early as 8-9pm.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I function on 6, am happier with 7 to 8. Lately I've been sleeping 12-2, then about 5-7:30, a walking zombi.
    One night this week, my neighbor put his dogs inside overnight. 8 good hours that night and a beautiful, productive day the next day.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I aim to get 8 a night, but I average just about 7 in reality. On the weekends I usually get 9, which feels AMAZING. Though on vacation I start feeling groggy with too many days at 9+ hours in a row so I guess 7-8 really is my ideal.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I really need 8-9, but usually get 6-7 during weeknights. I can function, but am often tired, especially if work is full-on. I get about 9-10 hours on the weekends, so I guess I make up for it then!
  • drmarctagon
    drmarctagon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't really "sleep" in. I wake up around the same time of day every day. 4AM on work days, 5AM on weekends. Maybe once a month, I'll "sleep in" until like 8 or 9.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I function best on about 9 hours

Unfortunately I have a daughter with a sleep disorder who sleeps 2 hours a time tops and a baby boy who some nights wakes every 30 minutes to feed so I'm lucky if I get 5 hours of broken sleep
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    5-6 but I often nap 1-2 during the day in front of the TV. ;)
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I need at least 8 hours, but I feel my best when I get 10 or 11.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Currently need 9, +/- 1/2 hour. It’s a training thing.
    When I’m not seriously training I’m fine on 5.5-6.

Anywhere from 6-8 currently is killing me. Unsustainable.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    7 is good but usually only happens on my days off or Sunday nights when I work later on Mondays. Usually it's about 5.5-6.
  • elsayegh25
    elsayegh25 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    as much as i can :D basically not less than 6 !
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I can go on 6-7hrs most days during my off season. During higher volume training times in spring and summer, I need 8 hrs or more.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I need 9-10 but only get about 8. I do this on purpose because I have circadian rhythm disorder and if I get enough sleep I can't fall asleep the same time the night after but
    2-3h later and I start circling around the clock.