Trying to maintain but tempted with snacking all the time

Options
So I have two kids and I have to get them snacks that they enjoy..I have healthy snacks for myself and I've tried getting them to eat them as well but no go. So my question do you have any tips on how to avoid dipping into the cheezits box Or sneaking a cookie..Or 2..

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I try to allow myself some macros for when I like to snack at night. Just a couple hundred cals worth, also helps me sleep with some carbs on the belly.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Couldn’t you fit 100 calories worth into your day?
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,831 Member
    Options
    Just practice some of the things you did to lose.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    One cookie could easily fit into most peoples daily allotment if they wanted to have it.
    Maybe set aside 100 calories like mentioned above and then you can enjoy a cookie with your kids.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    A lot of cookies and crackers you can buy individually or in a variety pack. That is one way to go about it. That way you have to think about it a minute before opening a package rather than grab a bunch out of a bag or box. It gives you time to ask yourself if you really want it or not.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with snacking. Preplan for what you love the most and enjoy!
  • harleygirl3690
    harleygirl3690 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree buy the small snack bags so it is less tempting! I am that girl if I have just 1 it is all over! One day maybe it won't be so hard but that is why I'm doing low carbs as I don't have that control.
  • Adamanda5
    Adamanda5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I choose kid snacks that I dislike, but know the kids love (I know I’m a weirdo, but Cheezits and Chewy bars fall into the zero temptation category for me). I also encourage them to eat fruit, and keep cuties, small apples, and bananas around. My kids even like to snack on hard-boiled eggs, cottage cheese, or olives!
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    Planning in advance helps me. With Cheez-its, I would portion out a 2 or 3 servings and would give the box for my husband to hide. It's tough for me to eat just 1 serving and stop once I've started.

For me, most of the time it's better not to have any so I rarely buy it.

What really works for me is eating bigger meals. I'm a volume kind of girl so snacking by itself doesn't do much.

If I had those Cheez-its I would have it apart of a meal which helps to fill me up.

Learning my eating pattern and finding that balance of enjoying what I want sporadically has been very helpful with losing and maintaining my weight.

This.... learning my eating pattern . and what keeps me satisfied is truly key to losing. Planning ahead and prelogging helps me keep this train on the track. Having a fun meal out once a weekend to look forward to that fits in my calories ( Sunday night) keeps me motivated.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I know that certain are cheaper in bulk, but I have to agree, if I want something, I usually buy a single serve pack and enjoy. Its not that I can't resist temptation @ this time, but I really don't eat enough of one snack food to buy a whole box. It would just go bad.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Cheezits are like crack as far as I'm concerned. My only advice is to not eat even one. I found it easier to do that than to stop once started.

^^This. For chips, fries, m&ms, etc, the best thing for me is to just not start.

That being said, I do try to limit how much of those foods we have at home, anyway. Like someone else said, I also provide the kids with some snacks that appeal to them, but not to me (such as goldfish, pretzels, cheese sticks, granola bars). I also include lower calorie snacks like fruit/carrots/hummus, which I'm fine with including in my own calorie allotment.

I do go through phases where I'm more inclined or less inclined to want to snack. Eating higher protein helps me snack less.

ETA: Also as someone else mentioned, pre-logging my food also helps!! That way if I do want to snack on something I hadn't planned on, I can see that I'll need to remove something else from my day to fit in the snack.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    My daughter made me a piggy box .. nicely decorated with pictures of pigs and signage saying "no Daddies allowed"

In it goes the cereal, crisps, snakcs, raisins, peanut butter ... basically anything I find myself eating out the cupboard.

she then hides the box in her room over the weekend .... if she wants anything she asks and then goes and gets it ... and it stops me from snacking completely. I keep going to the cupboard, standing with my hand out looking .. and realising all there is to eat is stuff that I need to cook.

We still have snacks in the house ... I just cant get to them