New to Low Carb looking for Low Carb buddies!

Options
2»

Replies

• hnyzthms
    hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I am wanting to start low carb and really need some advice on meals.

I work as nurse so I am advice for meals I can do to take with me to work. I usually take sandwich so I am only looking for light meals that are easy and not time consuming

In fact any help/advice i would be grateful of to help me start my low carb journey. Also feel free to add me as a friend xx
  • LoriAnne0621
    LoriAnne0621 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hello,

Please add me if you want a low-carb friend who has been low-carbing for years.

Just a note to those who are type 2 diabetic. I was able to control my blood sugar with this diet and once I weighed less than a 190 lbs my type 2 diabetes just went away. Even when testing at a doctor's office! Such a nice surprise.

Also I reached my goal on this diet back in 2006 after being on for 3 years. I maintained for 6 months and then slowly started adding carbs back to my diet. It was a long slow process of easing my body into normal food, it took about 2 years. After which my body responded the way a normal person's does. I was able to eat what I wanted keeping portions small and keep the weight off for 10 years. Surgery on my feet and couple bouts of pneumonia all but stopped my exercise and my weight went back up.

Back on the low-carb way of eating until I am back down where I am comfortable. I had forgotten how uncomfortable an extra 45 lbs can be!

HW (2003) 317
    CW 177.8
    GW 132

• LoriAnne0621
    Options
    hnyzthms wrote: »
    Hi all

I work as nurse so I am advice for meals I can do to take with me to work. I usually take sandwich so I am only looking for light meals that are easy and not time consuming

In fact any help/advice i would be grateful of to help me start my low carb journey. Also feel free to add me as a friend xx

Hi, I don't work currently but back when I did, I often took a can of tuna and a little miracle whip to work. I had a fridge so the miracle whip just stayed there. I would just open the tuna, dump into a bowl and add the MW and eat with a spoon. It was filling and lo-cal.

Every Friday I would treat myself to fried chicken or chicken livers from the local fast food chicken place. I remember I was trying to save for a vacation and 2 livers and a water cost me only .80 cents. low in carbs, a treat and good on the wallet.

When I felt I needed variety I would make extra of whatever meat I had the night before. I usually ate meat only and water at lunch. It makes it easier to do dinner if you have some carbs left.
  • agrube1968
    agrube1968 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I added you all. If you need something that's low carb and high protein try the Premier Protein shakes; they are delicious! I have tried the banana crème, the caramel and the cookies and crème and they are all great. Sams has them on sale right now too!
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    hnyzthms wrote: »
    Hi all

Hi, I am also a nurse. I usually pack a salad and some sort of protein to have with it. For snacks I pack some berries and/or nuts. I also take an almond milk drink with me. Alternatively when cooking the night before, make a little extra and take that with you.

Hope this helps.
  • allenic10
    allenic10 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been eating low carb for a few months now due to gestational diabetes, and have lost about 20lbs in my third trimester! (Doctor approved.) Things to remember: cheating has a bigger impact on a low carb diet than on some other eating plans. Low carb often means higher fat/higher calorie (not always, if you can keep to lean meats and green vegetables... but in my experience, red meat, eggs, and cheese have been common low carb staples). When you’re consuming high fat AND high carbs, it is very easy to actually gain weight.
    Also, the first couple weeks are usually the hardest. It takes your body awhile to adjust, and you can experience flu-like symptoms. (Search Keto Flu for more info.) But eventually you will start to feel better, so push through and don’t give up! Low carb can definitely help you lose weight if you stick with it. Good luck!
  • LoriAnne0621
    Options
    really glad to see everyone so positive. I finally reached day 3 on low carb (this go round) Day 3 in my experience is when hunger and carving disappears and you start to feel more energetic. I don't even think about the cookies or ice cream that my hubby is eating next to me every night. I also dropped 1.8 lbs, yay! I looked up a bunch of recipes on the 'low carb yum' site. I was surprised how many things they are making out of eggs! Eggs are not my favorite though I eat them a couple times a week. But these recipes were for a type of bread called cloud bread, a frozen custard, pudding, and even fudge! and lots more.

If you are looking for variety try google. It can lead to lots of great recipes!
  • agrube1968
    Options
    Love that so many people are joining me on my low carb lifestyle! The more the merrier!!
  • agrube1968
    Options
    Would love to have even more buddies. I went off the diet for a week or so; my mother recently passed away and it was too hard to deal with that and try to keep strict to my diet. I started back today with low carb and so far so good. I just have to learn how to deal with my emotions and not turn to food in my grief!