Replies

• sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    absolutely if doing the right type and intensity
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    HIIT is an advanced training technique and probably won't help much with weight loss, largely because it's very difficult to maintain for more than a few minutes and usually requires a lot of recovery time, which can lead to less movement through the rest of your day and, ironically, fewer calories burned. Remember that there are a lot more hours in the day than just your workout - and unfortunately, the "afterburn" effect is greatly exaggerated. Many workouts marketed as HIIT are more accurately described as circuit-training, and are great exercise but generally won't burn as many calories as a moderate intensity, steady-state cardio workout like jogging, elliptical, or biking. I think a good rule of thumb is that if a workout lasts more than 10 minutes and involves more than one exercise, it's probably not HIIT. If you enjoy what you're doing, though, stick with it! You're much better off with a workout you like than one you look for excuses to avoid. All that said, all the workouts in the world won't help you lose weight unless you also keep an eye on your diet. Good luck!

All of this! ^^

There is no weight loss advantage to HIIT and as livinglean mentioned above, weight/ fat loss is primarily about diet.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mita271 wrote: »
    Just wanted to know if HIIT workouts are recommended for weight loss
    I enjoy doing them just wanna make sure im doing the right thing

Circuit training is a decent approach to getting cardiovascular and some strength benefits in an accessible format.

Weight loss is about what your calorie intake looks like compared to your calorie expenditure. You don't need to train to lose weight, but it does have other benefits.

Fwiw I agree with Megamoose description of the approach, hence describing most of the classes marketed as HIIT as being circuits.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I only burn about 45 cals doing a 4 min tabata HIIT routine on my C2 rower and can't do anything else for at least 15 mins after.

Even if I did it twice in an hr, which I would NEVER do, I'd only burn about 90 cals.

So, it's worthless for weight loss but is supposedly good for aerobic and anaerobic conditioning.

On the other hand, I can easily burn 550 cals in 49-50 mins of rowing on my Concept2 rowing which is the most efficient method of burning cals and also getting a full body workout that I know of.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    HIIT (real HIIT, not any old interval training being misleadingly marketed as HIIT) would be a dreadful choice for someone either new or unconditioned to exercise or looking for large calorie burns.

It's short duration (if it isn't then it's not HIIT) and has a high level of fatigue.
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    What do you guys think would be suitable for my situation?
    I workout at home, no equipment whatsoever
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Do workouts you enjoy, for fitness.
    Eat in a calorie deficit
  • cc102296
    cc102296 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

try T25 or insanity. or if you have a jump rope, 1 minute on 25 secs off for 10 rounds
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I answered this question on your other thread. In short, if you enjoy the HIIT videos, there is nothing wrong with continuing to do those. If you want to switch to a body weight strength routine, there are some free ones under the sticky entitled Which Strength Program Should I Use?
    Here is another program by Nia Shanks
    http://www.niashanks.com/the-beautiful-badass-bodyweight-guide2/
    It's not free, but it's good.