Travellers and nature enthusiasts...I need you! Where my Canadian friends at eh?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bellavita31
    Bellavita31 Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    Ontario here
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Kootenays... Anywhere in around Nakusp/New Denver/Nelson. Full of free spirited souls - I bet you could make friends who would let you park a few days on their property in and around there!
  • CBD92
    CBD92 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Kootenays... Anywhere in around Nakusp/New Denver/Nelson. Full of free spirited souls - I bet you could make friends who would let you park a few days on their property in and around there!

That is amazing! Thanks so much for the tip. I've heard great things about the kootenays. Definitely looking forward to it now!
  • PattiBE
    PattiBE Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yoho is beautiful. Way less crowded than Banff. Jasper is great too.
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I live on the warm side of the Rockies in B.C. just west of Banff and Lake Louise. Head south on highway 93 thru Kootenay National Park. Camp at the Redstreak campgrounds in the park and use Radium Hot Springs as your playground. There is endless trails for hiking or just walking, kayak from Invermere to Radium renting your kayak in Invermere and pickup in Radium. Safe flat float in a kayak about a 3 hr trip.
    Mountain bike trails galore easy or hard depending on your skill level.
    Take a day trip to Nipika Mountain Resort best off the grid place around.
    Soak in the hot pools the little one will love it. Swim in Lake Windermere great beach’s and warm water.
    Not as touristy as Banff or Lake Louise and just as beautiful.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,854 Member
    Options
    These used to be called "Forestry sites" because they were maintained by the Ministry of Forests. Most of them are free. Scroll to the bottom of the page and there's a pdf with more info:
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/camping-hiking/sites-trails/program

The top end of Vancouver Island is beautiful and kind of remote. Check out Cape Scott and San Josef Bay.

Another great source of info are the backcountry road books. We keep one in our truck all the time. It has all the backcountry spots plus tells you what the road is like to get there i.e. not suitable for trailer, too muddy to access in the spring, etc. You can buy the book for a specific region, or download the maps.
  • CBD92
    Options
    These used to be called "Forestry sites" because they were maintained by the Ministry of Forests. Most of them are free. Scroll to the bottom of the page and there's a pdf with more info:
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/camping-hiking/sites-trails/program

The top end of Vancouver Island is beautiful and kind of remote. Check out Cape Scott and San Josef Bay.

Another great source of info are the backcountry road books. We keep one in our truck all the time. It has all the backcountry spots plus tells you what the road is like to get there i.e. not suitable for trailer, too muddy to access in the spring, etc. You can buy the book for a specific region, or download the maps.

This is amazing!! Thank you so much. I'm sure this will really help us out a lot.
  • CBD92
    Options
    jeepyj93 wrote: »
    I live on the warm side of the Rockies in B.C. just west of Banff and Lake Louise. Head south on highway 93 thru Kootenay National Park. Camp at the Redstreak campgrounds in the park and use Radium Hot Springs as your playground. There is endless trails for hiking or just walking, kayak from Invermere to Radium renting your kayak in Invermere and pickup in Radium. Safe flat float in a kayak about a 3 hr trip.
    Mountain bike trails galore easy or hard depending on your skill level.
    Take a day trip to Nipika Mountain Resort best off the grid place around.
    Soak in the hot pools the little one will love it. Swim in Lake Windermere great beach’s and warm water.
    Not as touristy as Banff or Lake Louise and just as beautiful.

That kayak trip sounds awesome! Do you think it'd be suitable to do with a toddler?
  • CBD92
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    This isn't camping, but If you're interested in First People's heritage, go to the anthropology museum at UBC in Vancouver. It's truly fascinating!

That's awesome! My son and his father are First Nations so that would be a great thing for my son to do. Thanks for the tip!!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'll put my thoughts down tonight but I've been all over BC and into AB. Used to offroad a lot but now I tow a 34' condo so more mainstream camping. Doing Banff/Lake Louise this summer.