One Meal a Day?

Options
alazio
alazio Posts: 44 Member
Has anyone tried saving all or most of their calories for one large meal everyday? Just curious to hear from people who have tried it...good experience/bad experience? Still doing it or not sustainable? I easily stay on track with calories until about 5pm. 5pm-10pm is a beast for me, want to eat everything in sight. So I'm wondering if I should honor this tendency by being very restrictive (maybe <500 cal) up until 5pm, and then eat a big satisfying evening meal.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if it works, then go for it.

i like breakfast personally!
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I get very hungry in the evening no matter how I split up my calories, so I do keep the bulk of my calories for the evening. I eat between 1700-1800 and I keep a lot of those calories for supper and a big-ish post workout snack. Whatever works for you!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I will do this on Saturdays, but it only works for me because I am so busy with errands, exercise, cleaning that I am running around trying to do things and don't think about food. On workdays and less busy days, I am definitely more peckish (especially boring times at work) and think about food too much to save calories up.

Also it is worth thinking about, do you want to eat everything in sight because you are starving (aka you would even eat foods you hate because you are so hungry) or do you just crave many foods.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm transitioning into an OMAD way of eating right now and it's what I plan to do to maintain my weight instead of calorie counting. I don't want to count calories forever, so I'd like to do OMAD as well as monitoring my weight daily.

I don't find it hard to fast during the day, I just drink lots of tea.

I do it for the same reason as you - I get ravenous in the evening and really love having a large, filling dinner.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I am in maintenance and save the bulk of my calories for later in the day. I eat a small breakfast (250-300 calories), a small lunch (250-300), and still have 1100-1200 left for dinner, dessert, and wine. I don't feel deprived at all.

This works for me, but wouldn't for everyone. Find out what works best for you....something you can stick to and not be miserable.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I do something along these lines, because I do roughly 18:6 intermittent fasting. I break my fast when I get home from work around 4 or 5, usually with iced coffee and a protein bar because it's also my pre-workout meal. I usually have no less than 800-1000 calories for dinner, and the rest of my calories go into snacks or desserts. I eat more on weekends so sometimes my calories break down into two meals and snacks. Really, you just have to find what works for you.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    My husband can go with only eating once a day. I personally cannot. I need smaller portion things spread out through the day to help keep me at a steady satisfied feeling. If I get overly hungry, I get hangry and want to eat everything in front of me. It's not a pretty picture. D:
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I would be so hangry if I only ate once per day! My husband often only eats one meal, but I couldn’t do it.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    alazio wrote: »
    Has anyone tried saving all or most of their calories for one large meal everyday? Just curious to hear from people who have tried it...good experience/bad experience? Still doing it or not sustainable? I easily stay on track with calories until about 5pm. 5pm-10pm is a beast for me, want to eat everything in sight. So I'm wondering if I should honor this tendency by being very restrictive (maybe <500 cal) up until 5pm, and then eat a big satisfying evening meal.

It's a personal preference. For my metabolism, it would be too much food for one meal (I eat 3200 calories per day), but if you're a woman eating at low calories and prefer a big meal opposed to 3-4 meals, then go for it.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    just remember you still need to be logging so you dont over eat,
    Iv been eating OMAD for a long time and still managed to pile on the weight so dont just asume that having one meal keeps your calories in check. it really doesnt
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have low calorie days on Tuesday and Thursday do I can eat more at the weekends... I normally eat omad on these days as it’s nice having a decent 1000 calorie meal at the end of the day rather than a couple of unsatisfing meals ... works well for me. Reached my goal weight, without issue and now in maintenance
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    As others have said, my husband does this (or more like 18/6), but I get hangry and obsessive about food. I do better just skipping breakfast and waiting until 1pm to eat. Not sure if hormones have something to do with it, since OMAD seems to be easier for men, anecdotally.
  • alazio
    alazio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Update: I'm on day 3 of trying this strategy, and I'm really liking it so far! I've stuck to my goal of <1500 cals each day, which I haven't been able to do in a long time :-)