I feel like I’m not getting anywhere anymore.

Options
I’m losing motivation. At the beginning of the year I was 180 pounds. I’ve lost almost 20 pounds but can’t seem to lose anymore. I know it takes time but I’m counting calories, working out, I cut out pop that I used to drink like crazy and still no real changes. I don’t know what to do. If anyone has suggestions, It would be appreciated. I really want to lose 20 more pounds. Thank you.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weightloss naturally slows down as you lose weight, so you may have to implement one or more changes: More accurate food logging and/or a lower calorie intake. Go to setup, enter your new stats, and set your weekly weightloss goal to 1 pound. That is the easy part. The hard part is the patience you need in order to deal with the slower weightloss rate, while still doing exactly the same as before, but even more accurately.

To be able to implement those changes, and not give up, and regain, you need a food and exercise plan that feels good to stick to, day in and day out. Exactly what that should include/exclude, is up to you. What do you need to do in order to not go over your calorie target? What can you easily do every day - what can you automatize into practical routines? What makes you happy? What can you absolutely not live without? What can you abstain from without feeling deprived? How much and how often do you need certain things? These are the priorities you have to make.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Are you really weighing all your food and logging accurately? Are you measuring liquid?
    Drinking pop is fine if you can fit it in your calorie allotment. I have one cup of 8 ounces about 3 days per week.
    Weight loss comes down to creating a calorie deficit.calories in calories out.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Change things up so that you don't get bored. When was the last time you tried a new workout? A new vegetable? A new recipe?
  • brkln93
    brkln93 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Are you really weighing all your food and logging accurately? Are you measuring liquid?
    Drinking pop is fine if you can fit it in your calorie allotment. I have one cup of 8 ounces about 3 days per week.
    Weight loss comes down to creating a calorie deficit.calories in calories out.
    Yeah I’ve been more strict with my eating habits. I have a food scale that I’ve been using. I haven’t had pop since December. I feel if I drink it I’ll keep doing it so I just don’t let myself have it. I don’t crave it anymore.
  • brkln93
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    brkln93 wrote: »
    I’m losing motivation. At the beginning of the year I was 180 pounds. I’ve lost almost 20 pounds but can’t seem to lose anymore. I know it takes time but I’m counting calories, working out, I cut out pop that I used to drink like crazy and still no real changes. I don’t know what to do. If anyone has suggestions, It would be appreciated. I really want to lose 20 more pounds. Thank you.

So you've lost 20 lbs in about 10 weeks, that's 2 lbs per week and a very aggressive rate of loss if you only had 40 lbs to lose. You should be expecting around 1 lb loss per week, and it's perfectly normal to have weeks where you don't lose weight.

You need to take a deep breathe and a step back and start to think about the big picture. Too many people lose weight by eating and exercising for the short term, making themselves miserable for a few months, then giving up 3/4 of the way through, rebounding, and gaining it all back. Don't be one of those people.

Set your goal to 1 lb per week. Start using a food scale as often as possible. Double check that the entries you are using in the database are correct. Make sure you are fitting the foods you love into your calorie goal - you want to learn how to eat to maintain your goal weight for the rest of your life. Start focusing more on creating healthy habits that will just be how you live your life, rather than depending on motivation to eat and exercise in a way you don't like. Be patient, and good luck!
    Thank you. I’ll give it a try. It’s just hard to stay positive when I’m not seeing results.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

So you've lost 20 lbs in about 10 weeks, that's 2 lbs per week and a very aggressive rate of loss if you only had 40 lbs to lose. You should be expecting around 1 lb loss per week, and it's perfectly normal to have weeks where you don't lose weight.

You need to take a deep breathe and a step back and start to think about the big picture. Too many people lose weight by eating and exercising for the short term, making themselves miserable for a few months, then giving up 3/4 of the way through, rebounding, and gaining it all back. Don't be one of those people.

Set your goal to 1 lb per week. Start using a food scale as often as possible. Double check that the entries you are using in the database are correct. Make sure you are fitting the foods you love into your calorie goal - you want to learn how to eat to maintain your goal weight for the rest of your life. Start focusing more on creating healthy habits that will just be how you live your life, rather than depending on motivation to eat and exercise in a way you don't like. Be patient, and good luck!
    Thank you. I’ll give it a try. It’s just hard to stay positive when I’m not seeing results.

But you are seeing results. You lost 20 lbs in a little over 2 months. How are you going to handle maintenance when there are no results to see? You have to change that mindset or you are going to keep gaining it back.

Are you eating now the way you want to eat for the rest of your life? Or are you on a diet that you can't wait to stop once you hit your goal weight? You need to figure out a way to eat at the right calorie level for the rest of your life that you enjoy and is realistic so you don't need motivation. Motivation is temporary. No one is always motivated. Use your food diary not just to log your calories but to figure out what yummy foods work well for your body and fit your calories. Break the cycle, and hang in there
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    Agree, you’ve seen very good results. Now, at the first hiccup your brain is trying to tell you it’s hopeless. Tell your brain to quiet down and be patient.
  • brkln93
    Options

But you are seeing results. You lost 20 lbs in a little over 2 months. How are you going to handle maintenance when there are no results to see? You have to change that mindset or you are going to keep gaining it back.

Are you eating now the way you want to eat for the rest of your life? Or are you on a diet that you can't wait to stop once you hit your goal weight? You need to figure out a way to eat at the right calorie level for the rest of your life that you enjoy and is realistic so you don't need motivation. Motivation is temporary. No one is always motivated. Use your food diary not just to log your calories but to figure out what yummy foods work well for your body and fit your calories. Break the cycle, and hang in there
    Thank you. I appreciate good feedback.