33rd Time's The Charm

Okay, so maybe I haven't taken this weightloss journey 33 times, but definitely 10 from the time I was 14 to now. (I'll be 40 in May.) I'd lose 20, 40, 60 even 75 lbs and gain it all back. My body paid a terrible price.

My wakeup call came in January 2017, when I went to get off the couch and had to roll off instead. My legs weren't strong enough to do it. I needed to do something...and stick with it! So, I downloaded the MFP app and began really watching those calories. Then for my 20th wedding anniversary, my husband got me a Fitbit and the matching scale. Wow! I thought as a warehouse supervisor, I was getting a lot of running around in. Wrong. I was about 2,000 steps off from their starting 8,000 step suggestion.

I knew me. If I went gun ho, I'd burn out. So, I made smaller changes and set attainable goals. Get under 200. Check. Find alternatives to my beloved Cheetos (I can't even finish a lunch/snack bag of them now!) Check. Get under 175 and start walking outside of work. Check and check!

It wasn't easy--at all. I remember a few months in, my 18 year old walked into the bathroom to find me crying because I was gaining weight. Sweet boy that he is, he gave me a hug and gently reminded me that being more active meant building muscle. "Don't aim for skinny, Mom. Don't aim for gym rat either. Aim for not giving up."

It's been a year now and a recent knee surgery has put me a tiny bit off track, but I'm down to the weight I was when I met my husband. I have 5 lbs to go and a 5k to train for. I loathe running, always have (Kudos to all of you runners who put sneaker to pavement each day!!) but nowhere does it say I have to run it. I just need to get my butt out there and do it.

I'm excited about my success and I credit most of it to my husband and children who pushed me every single day to keep going.

Start weight: 208
Goal #1: 150 DONE
Goal#2: 135
Current weight: 140

Replies

• GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Wow, WTG
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Elliptical and bike (& swimming) can be way easier on your knees. Lifting is good too.
    Well done with lifestyle changes!
  • cherylpena75
    cherylpena75 Posts: 19 Member
    Incredible story!!
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    What a wonderful son. I need this motivation today. Thank you so much for sharing.
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Congrats on your success!
  • Morglem
    Morglem Posts: 377 Member
    Wow! Amazing! Congratulations! I just started back myself for the 100th time :)
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    What a wise young man you've got there! Congrats!
  • Catho36
    Catho36 Posts: 107 Member
    Thanks for sharing, way to go! Consistency is key, progress over perfection have been my mantras as well. You have done amazing, you got this x
  • kpendleton19
    kpendleton19 Posts: 24 Member
    "Aim for not giving up" my new motto!
  • Frankie_Fan
    Frankie_Fan Posts: 562 Member
    Congrats! Thanks for sharing with us! :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited February 2018
    If your son was standing here right now, I’d give him a huge hug and kiss. That might be the best advice Ive heard on this site. Ever. Thank you for sharing his powerful message.

“Aim for not giving up”
  • TraciStivers
    TraciStivers Posts: 116 Member
    You go, Momma! That’s AWESOME. I’m also aiming for 135. You are an inspiration.
  • mcbeef29
    mcbeef29 Posts: 74 Member
    Congratulations, and great story! Way to go and keep going!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    You've done great :smile: be proud of your achievements :smile:
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    I second the Elliptical! Its the same motion as running without the pounding on your knees. Great work!! And great boy you are raising, there...

So much more to life than just body size.... Health, Fitness, Family... go for it. You can have it all!
  • HowUdish
    HowUdish Posts: 36 Member
    Congrats! Your journey is an inspiration to us all. Keep up the great work!
  • dimrub
    dimrub Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2018
    Way to go, you're on the right path, just keep it there till you realize you can't go back! And listen, about that running thing. I'm 43, and all my life I knew for sure that I can't run, and won't run, and if I tried it - I wouldn't enjoy it. Asthma and flat feet provided a perfect excuse, strengthened by non-athletic parents. Indeed, until last autumn, the few half-assed attempts at running ended in fiasco - strengthening that conviction even further. And here I am now, running 10k in 53 minutes, and preparing for a 15k race next month, with the goal of doing half a marathon this summer, and a full marathon probably some time next year, and, the strangest part of it - enjoying every freaking moment of it! I'm not saying your experience will necessary be similar to mine, but give it a chance. In my case there were a few books that really inspired me to take this up - maybe this will work for you too.

Oh, and huge HUGE kudos to your family - it's such a boost to have people around you who understand what you're going through and support you in it! Make sure they're there during your first running race, strategically placed along the course, cheering you up - you'll be amazed what difference it will make for your run!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Show you the power of never giving up - congrats to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!