Hoping to get positive results...need friends for support...

Options
Lynda177
Lynda177 Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2018 in Introduce Yourself
I've been getting bigger and bigger...my cardiologist said a week ago 'my heart was doing fine...stay on my meds...now we need to work on the weight'...
gained 12 pounds out of nowhere...needed to lose 30 before...it's getting worse...looking for new recipes to keep me at 1200 calories...I started yesterday and consumed twice as many...feeling very depressed now..

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Why 1200? That is very aggressive, especially if you are getting exercise. You may do better with just another 100-200 to allow for a taste of your favorites.

Would it help you to have an actual diet plan? Books like the South Beach Diet and the Mediterrean diet have meal plans and recipes to help you stay on track while you learn the combinations of foods that can keep you satisfied. They are based on the same general principles (good fats, good carbs, lean protein) and proven to help with heart health.

Did you overeat at meals or snacks? I have snacks on hand that fit my plan. I log my evening snack while logging my breakfast every morning. That way I have room for it AND I have it to look forward to, which makes it easier to say no to temptations throughout the day. Many people pre log their entire day. One reason this helps is that you have fewer decisions to make throughout the day. You aren't saying no to individual temptations, you are say YES to your plan.

There is no need to get depressed, as this is a learning process. Choose a lesson to focus on for today. It sounds like you logged everything yesterday - that is a great start! Would it help to add an extra serving of veg today?

• brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Why 1200? That is very aggressive...
    There is no need to get depressed, as this is a learning process. Choose a lesson to focus on for today. It sounds like you logged everything yesterday - that is a great start! ...

^^ This. You started, so give yourself credit! Losing weight is not about doing one day perfectly, it's about doing a TON of days, sustainably, consistently, at a calorie deficit. One day will not give you results. Lots of days strung together will, and stringing them together means an eating plan you can do every day for lots of days.

Only you can find out what that will look like. Many of us plan for treats, tastes of foods we love, even slip-ups where more than we wanted gets consumed. Some of us find we have to avoid certain foods at least for now, because a taste turns into 2000 calories. Many of us exercise for health, fitness, and to be honest, to increase our calorie burn so we can have a bigger budget. Some of us start out with an aggressive 2 lbs a week plan, and find it's impossible to stay with, get discouraged. Many of us have been successful with a 1 or even .5 a week loss plan.

It's better to have a less aggressive loss plan that you can stay with, than an aggressive loss plan that you can't. Bodies don't like starting to release weight, they think it's a famine ;) treat yourself gently, log and experiment, and STAY WITH IT!
  • whhuynh90
    whhuynh90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation. remind your self that this is a lifestyle change and will not occur over night. say you drink 5 sodas a day, cut down to 3 and so on. and if you like mayo, try switching to vegan mayonaise or hummus. also 1200 is a big jump and is hard for your body to get used too. Try cutting out say 200-500 calories and slowly decrease your caloric intake from there.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    What everyone said one day or even one week does not define you. It's a slow process most of it is mental and learning both food/nutrition and portion size. Keep logging best way to see trends also helps to write down your feelings when you eat are you bored, is it just dinner time, are you really hungry what are you doing. Don't ever be disappointed you're human as we all are if it was easy nobody would be here.
  • blackcatfitness
    blackcatfitness Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me
  • GetFit4Life2018
    GetFit4Life2018 Posts: 27 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I sent you an email. Feel free to add me. I get what you are going through. Hang in there! It will get better, just don't give up or you will be starting over again down the line.

By the way, how many calories do you eat a day (an estimate)?
  • soukyfitness
    soukyfitness Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1210 calories so I'm with you! It's always a struggle, I try to eat a small but healthy breakfast, a good lunch and a smaller dinner on the days I'm not active or working out!
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 calories a day. That is what I was given. It takes some planning, but YOU CAN DO IT! I weigh and measure the majority of my food everyday. I use my phone to scan the barcodes on my food and it is so helpful. I keep a bowl of fruit on the counter, and make sure I have things that are low calorie to eat. There have been days, I was under my count and days I was over. I didn't get upset about it and counted it. Days like that are going to happen...but you can make them few and far between. Today I was running errands and ordered a chicken sandwich through a fast food place (not the best choice) but I had them leave the mayo off and it ended up being ok calories wise. I started doing this in January and I love it. It has been the best "diet" plan for me and believe me I've tried a bunch of them. It also helps to set some mini-goals for yourself. One of mine is to wear a dress this summer. The message boards and having friends to cheer you on is great also! Keep with it!