Can't "feel" it...

Options
I have been on and off this weight loss journey for years! Usually, as soon as I start to lose weight, I can notice it in my body. this time around it's different. I have been going to the gym since last year February. I started off at around 228lbs. In October I changed my routine and started going in the mornings instead of the afternoons, to "get it out the way", and it has been great. Just a month ago I got back to using MFP again. I am now down 22lbs since my starting weight, and even though the scale says I have lost weight, and my new jeans say I have lost weight, I don't fee like I have lost weight!!
I do not see any changes in my body...m,y clothes are slightly bigger, yes, but I feel like my body looks the same...

Does this make sense? Has anyone else felt this way before?

I don't plan on quitting, I know eventually everything will catch up...it's just a weird feeling...

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    First off you are just a month into using MFP again and counting calories so its fairly early days.

The good news is you still are 22lbs lighter and I'm pretty sure that in the next few weeks the scale will show your progress. And you're losing inches if your clothes are lighter so that's terrific :smile:

It takes a long time to see progress both on the scales and in the mirror/clothes imo, but little by little you will get there. Keep logging, have patience - you will get there.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Seems like a visual illusion. I'd say going from 228 to 207 was definitely noticeable, especially around my torso and I'm 5'8". If you're shorter, your BMI would be higher and you might need to go below 200 to see noticable changes.
  • brw828
    brw828 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you tried taking progress pictures? It might be helpful to take a photo regularly, at the beginning of every month, for example, so you can go back and look at them side-by-side. It might be hard to see the changes in your body as they occur gradually when you look in the mirror every day, but if you have a photo of yourself now next to a photo before your weight loss, I bet you'd notice a lot of differences.
  • Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    First off you are just a month into using MFP again and counting calories so its fairly early days.

The good news is you still are 22lbs lighter and I'm pretty sure that in the next few weeks the scale will show your progress. And you're losing inches if your clothes are lighter so that's terrific :smile:

It takes a long time to see progress both on the scales and in the mirror/clothes imo, but little by little you will get there. Keep logging, have patience - you will get there.

Well, I did lose 6lbs within the first month, which is great! I am not worried about not losing the weight, it's just that after 22lbs, I thought I'd feel...different? I am seen the progress on both the scale and the clothes, just not feeling the changes in my body...
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    Seems like a visual illusion. I'd say going from 228 to 207 was definitely noticeable, especially around my torso and I'm 5'8". If you're shorter, your BMI would be higher and you might need to go below 200 to see noticable changes.

I am short, 5'3, and most of my weight is around my belly...I am 7lbs away from my first goal of 199...so hopefully once I break the 200's I will notice the change more...
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    brw828 wrote: »
    Have you tried taking progress pictures? It might be helpful to take a photo regularly, at the beginning of every month, for example, so you can go back and look at them side-by-side. It might be hard to see the changes in your body as they occur gradually when you look in the mirror every day, but if you have a photo of yourself now next to a photo before your weight loss, I bet you'd notice a lot of differences.

I have NOT taken any progress pictures. I do measure, as well as weigh, myself every month, and I see the numbers getting smaller....

But I may just have to take those pictures...even if it's a little...scary