Drink Driving

Options
rugratz2015
rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
Who do you think should be held responsible if someone has 6 pints (large beer) then gets behind the wheel - me personally I think it’s the fool behind the wheel but others think it’s the publicans (bartender) responsibility - what do you think?

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Drinker first, but I do think bartenders know when to cut someone off and if they don't, they share a part of that blame imo.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The drinker of course. They should be responsible enough to plan their night. A great bartender would call a cab or the cops if the person goes against advice.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Okie. :lol:
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The drinker every time. We are all capable of planning an evening out and keeping tabs on what we are doing. It doesn’t take a genius to work out the situation after 1 pint and decide whether to have that 2nd. After that, don’t drive.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    It is the driver's responsibility to know their limits. If there's a passenger, it is their responsibility to either not ride with and more importantly attempt to prevent said person from driving. Or, if others are around, to prevent someone from driving away drunk.

I question the legality of holding a bartender, or establishment, guilty of serving alcohol to a drunk person. While I do think they can use their judgement on when to cut them off. I believe that the idea to go after a server, or establishment, is to just get more money for the lawyers first and those who were injured second.

People need to hold themselves more accountable for their choices and actions. I've been on scene numerous times for alcohol related vehicle incidents. Some end in the driver being pulled over without incident. Others are minor, and nothing more than property damage. But, I have also been on some where it's extremely gruesome to see and work on.

Some may argue that it's a victimless crime if a person speeds, or drives home drunk without incident on an empty road. But, there's always the "what if" factor. But, when the "what if" happens, so many people are affected that said person might not realize.
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Bartender doesn’t need to babysit a grown man/woman
    You can’t be responsible enough to stop yourself seek help or don’t drink at all
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    The person that gets behind the wheel after drinking too much should be held accountable.

As for the Bartender, not sure he/she should be legally liable, but he/she should be responsible and cut someone off is they are obviously hammered.

If a person is out drinking with friends, I would hope that the friends would step forward and be responsible.

If a person is out drinking alone. Don't. Stay home and get drunk on the couch while you binge watch Netflix. If you have no friends to go out with, you're already a candidate for binge drinking.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    the people doing the drinking and it should be a criminal offense - not traffic issue.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who works in the industry, it is part of our job to not serve obviously intoxicated individuals. But if you ask me, you can't catch everyone, I don't know you BAC. So aside from using my best judgement, I have very little control.
    People need to take responsibility for their actions.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what makes Uber/Lyft and the like so great. Bartender's shouldn't serve someone who is visibly intoxicated, but the the responsibility lies with the drinker.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The responsibility is on the driver. Yes I think the bartender should eventually cut off an intoxicated patron, but you don't have to be wasted to be an impaired driver, and there is no effective way to determine if each person that might be a bit tipsy is about to get into the drivers seat or the back of an uber when your bartending at a packed club.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    https://www.servingitright.com/

this is in bc Canada you need this certificate to serve booze. it all falls on the establishments. i think this works fine. the server and bartender are the first line of defense. it hard to explain