Who else get weary of it all..............

Options

Replies

• pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    How long have you been in maintenance? I definately remember feeling that way during my first year, in recent years I haven't to think too much about it because I just do what I do, eat what I eat and I maintain effortlessly - at least that's how it now feels. So I think you'll definately not always feel like you do now.

Only since Sept of 2017. Glad to hear it hopefully will get easier with time
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    It will get easier, for me the first year was an adjusting period, hopefully you'll find it the same. Its worth the effort imo :smile:
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    I get it @pkweier - I am not that far into Maintenance (about 1.5 years now). The honeymoon period was over and sometimes I was just weary of it all. I missed the old days where I never looked at a label, where my husband and I would just hang out and play video games all day, where I didn’t feel like I was constantly saying “no” or finding substitutes for goodies...

With that said, when I nearly died earlier this year (not being dramatic), the experience forced me to take a step back and reevaluate what was important. Being healthy = totally important! Being a specific, arbitrary weight on the scale.... not so much. This further exasperated my feeling about Maintenance. I guess this is part of why so many people “give up” and regain the weight. It takes a lot of mental strength to have consistency not just day over day but month over month and year over year.

For me, personally... I ended up doing some soul searching and re-evaluated my “why.” As a result, I restructured some of my goals and the methods to get to my newly tweaked “why.” I’ve heard that nuance helps with the “stickiness” of a habit and I am starting to see that play out - my old goals still make me feel “weary” to think about, but those new goals are keeping me motivated. Perhaps it’s time to re-evaluate your “why”?

Good luck!

This post is brilliant!!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    pkweier wrote: »
    Does anyone else get weary of it all and just want to eat how ever much you want? I really struggled with that this week. I just wanted to be a couch potato. I did talk myself out of it and got outside and got my walking in. I did log and kept my eating in check.

I know part of it is the weather I'm tired of the cold and dreary weather and more snow predicted for Monday. This is the first year this type of weather is bothering me.

Do others feel the same?

Pam

ditto. it will pass.

• iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes. Every now and then I get so tired of tracking everything and having to be so conscious of food. When I get to that point, I will take two days off and just play pretend, meaning I just do whatever, with no cares. BUT, I have to be extremely careful that it's only two days, and not a week, or a month, or a year. I used to be bad at that, but have gotten much better. And those times of being sick of it all happen less and less often.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    As time goes by, you'll want those things less and less...

These days it's much more difficult for me to take a rest day then it is to kill myself in the gym for an hour+

It's much more difficult to go to a restaurant and order a cheeseburger than to order a salmon salad...

I'm getting better at not demanding so much from my body though, and getting older..

And I've probably ordered a cheeseburger from a restaurant twice in the last year, neither one was really all that enjoyable

I totally disagree there. That's why people gain the weight back... it doesn't necessarily go away. I joined MFP 5 years ago, and I still want to spend some days sitting on my couch watching TV (and I did, last week, because we had 9 inches of snow outside and my legs were too sore to get on the treadmill). I still want to order dessert when we eat out and to have a nice comforting meal of cheeseburger and fries (which I ordered on Saturday, but it WAS disappointing, but probably because it was from a pizza place).

Sure, in the Spring/Fall when it's nice out, I love going outside and be active, and really dislike spending the whole day stuck at home, but that's just not always the case. I do have a dog too, but my lack of desire to walk around piles of snow in the cold has kept me from walking her much this week too (to be fair, she barks at everything and it's not exactly relaxing either).

The only difference is that I do feel guilty when I get a rest day or go over my calories (which has been too often as well - thanks PMS and my mom bringing way too much chocolate). I could NEVER eat what I want and maintain easily, unless I walked 25k steps a day, and unfortunately my legs tend to get sore way before that nowadays.

People gain the weight back because they lost it for all the wrong reasons to begin with...

If you only "dieted" because you wanted to lose weight, rather than changed your habits because you wanted to become healthier...

Then yeah, you're probably going to struggle with your diet and exercise and may gain weight back...

I believe part of the reason why I was able to keep the weight of for so many years now is because, I started eating a healthy diet because I wanted to, not because I felt I had to...

This is not some sort of a gimmick that I've seen on TV, or some trendy diet... It's the person I've become

And it's all in your head my friend... Sure I can say I'd rather sit around and eat chocolate cake all day, and I would be right, but I choose to say I want to eat healthy today and workout, and you know what... I'm still right

How do you know?

Just because you've managed to stick to your new habits (how long were you overweight for? how overweight were you? all those things DO make a difference) doesn't mean that most people don't.

It kills me that so many people gain the weight, I'm not trying to sit on a high horse and finger wag... That's not what I'm about.

But I'm sorry, if you go on some type of fad/crash diet to lose weight... Rather than do this because you want to turn your life around... I'm still rooting for you, but with a 98% failure rate, I'm not going to bet the farm on you...

What I'm trying to say here is there is no feeling sorry for myself because I can't ear chocolate cake every day... There is only peace and learning to appreciate what makes me healthy every day...

As for my weight loss, it doesn't matter because I'm not everyone, but you started your post by saying that my line of thinking was why people gain weight back... And I'm sorry, but you're wrong, otherwise I might have

I would have to agree and disagree. I lost much of my weight the "unhealthy" way. I did not eat enough and exercised wayyyy toooo much. I had been over weight/obese my entire life. I made so called healthy changes as far as exercise, but became nearly afraid of all "unclean" food. I did not learn about certain proper nutritional aspects until about 9 months ago. Basically when I started maintainance. Now I lost started losing weight for myself and my now ex-wife, but a year into it we divorced. The rest was for me. I now make so called healthier choices with some flexibility, but I think there is more to it than that. Bf set point on me is really high, so keeping it off is going to be much more of a fight than some. Franci is right, some of us that were heavier longer will have to fight harder. Is 98% failure right? I sure hope not. From my reading, it's more like 65%. I do wonder if it's a change back to old habits, or biology. I tend to think it's both. As far as being weary of my newer lifestyle, some days it's hard to watch the people around me just eat what they want without thinking about the macro splits, but on those days, I look at an old picture of myself and remember what it is like to be a prisoner in my own body. Usually that enough to get my "kitten" in gear and keep moving. I have heard it gets easier over time. I do hope so.

You're story sounds all too familiar Man... I've been there and in many ways I still am, but I will say and people can disagree with this if they want but for myself anyway, it has gotten easier and I believe it will for you to...

Now to clarify, when I say "the wrong reasons", I'm not talking about why you started your journey. I know everyone is doing this for themselves and family and those are as noble of reasons as it gets... I'm talking about all the things you decided to do to help you reach your goals...

I believe you should eat for health, or at least not to poison yourself... Not because CICO, iifym, ketosis, blah, blah, blah... People can woo me to death for saying it but I'm always going to stand hear and say regardless that eating a healthy, sensible, balanced diet, will always trump cico...

If you choose to not eat McDonald's today because you want to stay under your caloric goal, I believe your doing it for the wrong reasons... If you choose to not eat McDonald's today because you would rather eat something that is better, or at least not as bad for you... I'll put my money on you

I choose to forgo McDonald's for several reasons. Calories, food quality, and I can make healthier options. So it is a combo of all of them.
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I’ve kept my weight the same now for ten years by watching my calories. If everyone did this their would be far fewer overweight people. And I don’t find it hard, because I always include treats in my plan. Anyone overweight did not track their calories!! Or they were not aware of how many they were eating. Who knew that their could be over 5 hundred calories in a muffin. I didn’t know till restaurants started posting it on their menus
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    iowalinda wrote: »
    Those treats always seem to taste better in my imagination than in my mouth. When I am tempted, I remind myself that I usually regret it when I splurge :)

That's kinda true here ad well. The 3 bite rule? Except when three bites is all it takes sometimes to finish! Lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    pkweier wrote: »
    Does anyone else get weary of it all and just want to eat how ever much you want? I really struggled with that this week. I just wanted to be a couch potato. I did talk myself out of it and got outside and got my walking in. I did log and kept my eating in check.

I know part of it is the weather I'm tired of the cold and dreary weather and more snow predicted for Monday. This is the first year this type of weather is bothering me.

Do others feel the same?

Pam

I've been more or less in maintenance going on 5 years. I usually put on 8-10 Lbs over the winter and then take it off in the spring...mostly due to it begin dark in the morning and dark when I get home after work (and cold) and my primary form of exercise is road cycling so my activity level drops a lot in the winter.

I've been at this long enough now that I don't press the issue. I still get in some exercise in the winter, but it can be kind of hit or miss...certainly isn't as regular because I don't really like working on my indoor cycle trainer...but I know that as soon as daylight savings time rolls around I'll be back out on the road more. For me, it's just a matter of it is what it is.

I don't typically focus much on the number on the scale...I'm more concerned with my health so even with my weight gain in the winter I'm still at a healthy BF%...just a bit fluffier than I am the rest of the year.

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    I get it @pkweier - I am not that far into Maintenance (about 1.5 years now). The honeymoon period was over and sometimes I was just weary of it all. I missed the old days where I never looked at a label, where my husband and I would just hang out and play video games all day, where I didn’t feel like I was constantly saying “no” or finding substitutes for goodies...

With that said, when I nearly died earlier this year (not being dramatic), the experience forced me to take a step back and reevaluate what was important. Being healthy = totally important! Being a specific, arbitrary weight on the scale.... not so much. This further exasperated my feeling about Maintenance. I guess this is part of why so many people “give up” and regain the weight. It takes a lot of mental strength to have consistency not just day over day but month over month and year over year.

For me, personally... I ended up doing some soul searching and re-evaluated my “why.” As a result, I restructured some of my goals and the methods to get to my newly tweaked “why.” I’ve heard that nuance helps with the “stickiness” of a habit and I am starting to see that play out - my old goals still make me feel “weary” to think about, but those new goals are keeping me motivated. Perhaps it’s time to re-evaluate your “why”?

Good luck!

Hey, I definitely wouldn't consider a year and a half of maintenance "not that far". That's a nice length of time to be in maintenance. Many don't make it even that far.
  • pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    @tmaths thank you for such a great response
    I've lost 195 pounds took me from January 1 2016 till I called maintenance this past September. I'm feeling better and it has helped to see others who have the same feeling and how they managed to keep on going.

I want to thank everyone who responded I appreciated your insight.