Questions about weighing in "stone"

Options

Replies

• ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Confusion is only because it's not what you are used to. I have to convert pounds into Stones in order to visualize how much someone weighs although I have a general idea from 200 onwards.

It's no different than Feet and Inches just that no one goes around saying they are 70 inches rather than 5' 10"
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    In both Australia and Canada we measure in kilograms. :)

Not in Canada. Canadians use lbs for body weight. I’ve never come across anyone who uses kilograms here, except they will convert lbs to kgs on drivers licences.

Really? I did. When I lived in Canada, we switched to metric when at some point in the 1970s and I used metric from that point on. Did Canada switch back to imperial since 2009? I haven't had that impression each time I've visited .........

Yes, we switched to metric, but no one uses kgs for body weight. The only place I’ve ever seen it is drivers licences, they will convert your weight and height to metric, but no one actually uses those for measurements. For height we use feet and inches and weight is lbs. Even doctors offices weigh you in lbs, at least all of the doctors my husband and I have gone to. I couldn’t even tell you my height and weight in metric. I have no idea. Everything else is metric, though. Well, most things.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options

Not in Canada. Canadians use lbs for body weight. I’ve never come across anyone who uses kilograms here, except they will convert lbs to kgs on drivers licences.

Really? I did. When I lived in Canada, we switched to metric when at some point in the 1970s and I used metric from that point on. Did Canada switch back to imperial since 2009? I haven't had that impression each time I've visited .........

we definitely use pounds for bodyweight in Canada, other than for surgery I notice they've always made note of my weight in kg - other than that, everything and everything else I see discussed in pounds.

Hmmm ... maybe you live in a different part of Canada than I did.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    The only really confusing part is if you see

14.2 stone determining whether the person meant 14.2 stone or 14 stone 2(pounds).

I recall that issue came up with a digital scale some months back.
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The only really confusing part is if you see

14.2 stone determining whether the person meant 14.2 stone or 14 stone 2(pounds).

I recall that issue came up with a digital scale some months back.
    Exactly this!! Is there a way to shorthand this? Like feet and inches (“ ‘)?
  • rjdubock0609
    rjdubock0609 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think usually people would just write 14st 2 (or maybe 2lb). I don't think I've ever seen symbols to indicate it like feet and inches.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think usually people would just write 14st 2 (or maybe 2lb). I don't think I've ever seen symbols to indicate it like feet and inches.

In written form that is correct but digital scales don't have that ability, mine say 14.2 for 14 st 2lbs even though that is not correct based on decimal system

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    ap1972 wrote: »

In written form that is correct but digital scales don't have that ability, mine say 14.2 for 14 st 2lbs even though that is not correct based on decimal system

One would think(incorrectly) that a digital scale intended to display stone would have a subscript S available instead of a decimal, as most modern LCD are not limited to particular patterns
    xxxxxxxxx
    x       x
    x   xxxxx
    xxx   xxx
    x       x
    xxxxxxxxx

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

we definitely use pounds for bodyweight in Canada, other than for surgery I notice they've always made note of my weight in kg - other than that, everything and everything else I see discussed in pounds.

Hmmm ... maybe you live in a different part of Canada than I did.

I'm out west and the only place I see KG is my license (and it's way wrong) and Garmin, because it won't do a mix and I want my distance in KM.

Even the gym the weights are in lbs.

• Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I've only rarely heard people use stones for big dogs - just to give a comparison between a particular dog and a human "Wow - my Great Dane weighs 10 stone!".
    A vet would weigh animals in kilos. A Doctor would weigh a person in kilos but might convert to stones & pounds for clarity to the patient.

I quite like the use of stones for body weight. Apart from being what I've grown up with as it's a gross measurement it can take away some of the obsession around small weight fluctuations and be a bit more realistic in that we don't weigh to the same pound every day. If someone wanted to know my weight I would say "12 stone" and people would (I hope!) interpret that as around 12 stone. Ditto twelve and a half stone for example.

In the gym dumbbells and free weights are in kilos. The equivalent to your 45 plates would be 20 kilos plates (44lbs). I don't mentally convert kilos to pounds when I lift, I'm benching 100kg not 220lbs.

The shift to metric measurements is faster in official use than in everyday language, a lot is age-related of course. We buy the fuel for our cars in litres but in my mind I work out fuel consumption in miles per gallon.

The closest thing to universal use of weights and measurements in Britain is a pint of beer.
    But remember our pints are bigger (20 fl oz) compared to a US pint (16 fl oz).

I'm the same. I know I weigh around 10st right now, and ultimately I'd like to be closer to 9st, and that's enough for me.

This is, incidentally, why I weigh myself in kilos. I have a general idea of where a given number might tie into my past weight and/or my goal, but it doesn't have the same emotional connotations as pounds. I think this is because I grew up with a lot of American media, and there seems to be this unspoken rule on TV that 120lb is the "ideal" weight for women (I swear, every main character ever has 120lb listed on her driver's licence :tongue: ), so I have subconscious ideas about various weights in pounds that I don't have with the same weights in kg.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Im i n the uk and both my doctors and our vets weigh in Kg.

however most weight loss groups (slimming world, weight watchers etc) all use st and bs

I use lbs though at the min as every lb I lose gets me a £ from the husband in my money bank to buy new clothes when I get where I want to be :D
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    I can assure you that when I paid $1.99 for the grapes that were on sale, I didn't get 1kg!

Suspiciously what I got was what was on the big part of the sign, and it came to just about 0.4536 of what was on the tiny letter part of the sign!

But it was weighed in grams!!! :wink:

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    generally the UK uses kg or lbs now
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Aside from differences in units of volume, one reason it's incorrect to call American measures "Imperial" as many do is that we lack this particular Imperial measure of weight.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    Aside from differences in units of volume, one reason it's incorrect to call American measures "Imperial" as many do is that we lack this particular Imperial measure of weight.

And your gallons are not Imperial gallons. I still think of fuel mileage in Imperial MPG. Cannot wrap my head around L/100KM.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

Yes, we switched to metric, but no one uses kgs for body weight. The only place I’ve ever seen it is drivers licences, they will convert your weight and height to metric, but no one actually uses those for measurements. For height we use feet and inches and weight is lbs. Even doctors offices weigh you in lbs, at least all of the doctors my husband and I have gone to. I couldn’t even tell you my height and weight in metric. I have no idea. Everything else is metric, though. Well, most things.

My children's birth cards at the hospital were all written in grams (not even kilograms) so a 7 lb newborn would be recorded as 3200g, which we know is 3.2kg

My Identification Card shows my height as 177cm, which of course I usually state as 5' 10"
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

My children's birth cards at the hospital were all written in grams (not even kilograms) so a 7 lb newborn would be recorded as 3200g, which we know is 3.2kg

My Identification Card shows my height as 177cm, which of course I usually state as 5' 10"

Yeah, most official documents here use metric measurements, but that’s the only time I see it used. My husband has a medical condition that makes him not able to keep weight on, so he’s weighed at the hospital/doctors office very regularly. Always in lbs, no matter what hospital/clinic/doctor. I guess it’s different for babies!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    In the UK we do use both, but I think it's very much a generational thing.
    I use both because, although brought up with imperial, metric is easier to use for technical things because "decimal system". I still have relatives who calculate prices into "old money" predating our decimal currency :smiley:
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Interesting how things differ. Routine checkups in a doctor’s office in America measures height and weight in the Imperial system. But if calculating certain medications like IV chemo or some other drugs, the metric system is used.