Coworkers baffled me...

Options
Mikkimeow
Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone. I am about a year into getting into fitness and health, currently focusing on slower, sustained weight loss and lifting 3x week, cardio 3x a week.

I just realized how different my mindset is than it was a year or so ago. My company did a New Year's 8 week health challenge. I participated just for fun, and didn't expect much out of it. I continued meal prepping and working out and drinking plenty of water. I watched as everyone else that participated ate like crap and ordered out every day and wondered why they couldn't lose weight. Just as a bad, I had coworkers do the craziest stuff. Cleanses, detoxes, tried cutting sugar/drinking/smoking all at once only to crash. When I ended up losing 20 during the challenge (that Christmas weight gain was REAL), a bunch of people asked me how... So many were like genuinely in disbelief when I told them I eat around 2200 calories a day and work out three times a week. Even more were unsure when I said that I don't restrict my eating. If I want pizza, I get pizza. I just don't eat an entire pizza in one sitting now.

A year ago I would have thought I couldn't lose that way. I just had to develop the willpower and understanding of food to lose.

Anyway, there are so many misconceptions out there about what being healthy means and how to take care of your body. There is of course no one right way to get in shape, but wow I can't believe I used to be someone that thought I needed a five day juice cleanse or an all meat, no carb no fat (yes I really did that) diet to drop the pounds.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I feel like people do know at a base level, but they feel counting calories is too tedious/hard.

I used to track calories on paper before there was online food journaling and it WAS hard/tedious.

I find it hard to believe they don't know it's about calories - but then - wait, just read the top four pages of Recent Posts in this forum...so, maybe I'm wrong. It happens.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    I think this is an epidemic in most offices. I changed my life 4 years ago. Stopped ordering out. Exercise increased to 4-5 days a week. Lost 40 pounds and people asked how I did it. They always thought there was a "trick" or "secret" to it. They also had to make it an issue when lunch was catered and I wouldn't partake because I bring my own and I don't want to derail my success. I figure at some point they will choose for themselves when its their time to make a real change and not rely on MLMs or quick weight loss schemes.

I'm having this same problem right now, but not from my staff. I'm having trouble explaining it to the vendors that cater the luncheons, bring bagels, doughnuts, cookies, etc. I'm always asked, "Really? You don't want a free meal/doughnut/bagel/cookie? Are you sure? We have plenty, just one won't hurt you. . . " and on and on.

I'm learning to just not care what anyone else thinks, eat the lunch/snacks that I packed and smile a little more each week when I step on the scale.

I don't know if this helps, but on days lunch is catered, if I know about it, I pack a big lunch and plenty of "allowable" snacks (I have a smaller dinner that night) and eat before the food arrives. If I'm full I'm less tempted.

I had a luncheon last week and they brought ChickfilA. The rep was baffled at how I wouldn't eat it and kept making comments like "I've never met anyone who could resist Chickfila". I guess he has now. It's just rude when people make an issue. I don't make an issue out of them partaking in bad habits then wondering why they aren't losing.

The rep would be baffled with me too because I don't like Chickfila either. I think that their food is loaded with sodium and nothing to crave about (imop).
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I think this is an epidemic in most offices. I changed my life 4 years ago. Stopped ordering out. Exercise increased to 4-5 days a week. Lost 40 pounds and people asked how I did it. They always thought there was a "trick" or "secret" to it. They also had to make it an issue when lunch was catered and I wouldn't partake because I bring my own and I don't want to derail my success. I figure at some point they will choose for themselves when its their time to make a real change and not rely on MLMs or quick weight loss schemes.

I'm having this same problem right now, but not from my staff. I'm having trouble explaining it to the vendors that cater the luncheons, bring bagels, doughnuts, cookies, etc. I'm always asked, "Really? You don't want a free meal/doughnut/bagel/cookie? Are you sure? We have plenty, just one won't hurt you. . . " and on and on.

I'm learning to just not care what anyone else thinks, eat the lunch/snacks that I packed and smile a little more each week when I step on the scale.

I don't know if this helps, but on days lunch is catered, if I know about it, I pack a big lunch and plenty of "allowable" snacks (I have a smaller dinner that night) and eat before the food arrives. If I'm full I'm less tempted.

I had a luncheon last week and they brought ChickfilA. The rep was baffled at how I wouldn't eat it and kept making comments like "I've never met anyone who could resist Chickfila". I guess he has now. It's just rude when people make an issue. I don't make an issue out of them partaking in bad habits then wondering why they aren't losing.

Really? Chikfila is OK, I guess, but it's nothing special. :|
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    "Eat less and exercise" is something many folks just don't want to believe. It's amazing how much resistance there is over the idea, but such is the weight loss industry that they've brainwashed a lot of people.

A lot of people are okay with the "exercise" part because fitting in a half hour walk--or even weight session--a few times a week seems a lot easier than counting calories and meal planning.