I tried Halo Top for the first time today and...

Options

Replies

• Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Salted caramel is awesome!! I'm about to try the waffle and pancakes flavor when I get home will keep y'all updated!!

DONT DO THE WAFFLE AND PANCAKES lol
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think it is personal preference! I like the cookies n cream, but I don’t think it tastes like cookies n cream ice cream at all. I didn’t like the mint! Or chocolate almond crunch!

My favorite is the peanut butter cup or pistachio! I haven’t seen the candy bar anywhere, but I’m curious to try it!

The candy bar is tasty. It's not nearly as chocolatey as the chocolate, but it has that bit of peanut in it. It's a nice blend, I think. Personally, I'd rather get the chocolate and the peanut butter and mix 'em.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I hated the smores one because it also had a coconut taste to it! If you're willing to give it a shot, pancakes and waffles is the best halo top flavor tbh. People also talk a lot about Breyers Delights.

Waffles and pancakes is the one that ended in the trash after one bite.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I hated the smores one because it also had a coconut taste to it! If you're willing to give it a shot, pancakes and waffles is the best halo top flavor tbh. People also talk a lot about Breyers Delights.

Yeah that ones DISGUSTING! I was surprised how bad it was.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My favourites are, in order of preference:

Candy Bar
    Peanut butter
    Sea Salt caramel
    Smores
    Chocolate

I wish it wasnt so expensive, I get 2 bowls from 1 tub. That's $5 a bowl/130g.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @Lesscookies what did you think of the pancake waffle flavour? We don't have that one in Australia yet, but i am keen to try it when it does get here.
  • HeidiMSM
    HeidiMSM Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just tried Halo Top in Canada. Expensive, $6.99 for a container plus 13% tax! Bought Caramel Macchiato, Salted Caramel & Peanut Butter. All were okay. Not that many flavours to choose from, no basic chocolate even. For price and taste it would be better to just eat regular ice cream if you can limit yourself to l/2 c. serving. I can't so thought I'd give the Halo Top a try. Will try another flavour if it comes on sale or if I can find a coupon.

• HelloAmbie
    HelloAmbie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That is the first/only flavor I tried, and I never want to try another one again
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the only one I like is Peanut Butter Cup, and considering the point is you get to eat more of it than your typical pint, it's expensive. I also have to watch the sugar alcohols, because if I eat too much it tears up my stomach. I'd rather make room for ice cream. But godspeed to folks who like it, if you do it's a great option!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Yep. I decided I'd rather have a small portion of real ice cream.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah that ones DISGUSTING! I was surprised how bad it was.

I’ve heard so many people say this, that it makes me want to try it. I don’t know why!
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    the consistency and the bitterness makes me a devil on halo
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You guys are killing me. I so want to try the pancakes and waffles one. If this one flavor could just be good... Please, Halo Top Gods. Please be merciful.

I really enjoyed the lemon cake one--but take that with a grain of salt because I seem to dislike most "cake" flavors in other, more conventional brands. The vanilla bean and chocolate were acceptable. I also enjoyed the strawberry one more than I thought I would, but it suffers from the same problem as the lemon cake flavor. (I don't tend to like other strawberry flavored ice creams).

If the s'mores, pistachio, black cherry, mochi green tea, and blueberry crumble ones could be decent*... that'd be greaaaaaat.

*I would call the cinnamon roll and oatmeal cookie flavors just "decent," as well.

ETA: I'm sure most people would prefer "real ice cream" to the Halo Top substitute... but a single serving of, say, Jeni's Splendid Churro ice cream clocks in at 270 calories/serving. I don't know about you, but I have a much easier time fitting in a 90 calorie/serving helping of Halo.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Halo Top girl,can't get past the taste and stomach probs
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    HelloAmbie wrote: »
    That is the first/only flavor I tried, and I never want to try another one again

I’m with you!!!
  • xxerniexx
    xxerniexx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i wasn't impressed with the birthday cake one, couldn't finish it. it was bad!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    I'm so sad!

I got the cookies 'n creme flavor, and it's awful. There's almost this coconut-y flavor to it for some reason?? I literally had to check the expiration date on the pint to make sure it hadn't gone bad or something. Maybe it's just because I've been spoiled by good ol' Blue Bell all my life?

any recommendations for flavors that are more.....tolerable?

Cookies and creme is disgusting, I agree. I love the plain ones like chocolate and vanilla. I LOVE the cookie dough one, pistachio, candy bar, and red velvet. Not a fan of the mint or smores and the pancake and waffles one is way too sweet for my liking. I've tried them all. :smile:

This. Also Birthday Cake is p good.

IMPORTANT: did you let it melt a little bit first? Makes a HUGE difference.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I've tried pretty much all of them. I think the only one I didn't like was mint. Chocolate peanut butter is probably my favorite.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »

This. Also Birthday Cake is p good.

IMPORTANT: did you let it melt a little bit first? Makes a HUGE difference.

no, i didn't! I'll try letting it sit out for a while and give it another go tonight lol

I take mine out 15-20 minutes before i plan to eat it. The consistency is better and you don't snap the spoon trying to scoop it out lol