Hispanics/Latinos...

Options
2»

Replies

• XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    I don't stay away from any Mexican food except the 7-layer burrito at Taco Bell. My abuelita used to say that was the devil's work.

Hahah.. that sounds....like the >:) himself! I'm not a big fan of taco bell, yuck! lol
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    victor73 wrote: »
    I've learned to avoid the dairy in Hispanic foods. Instead of sour cream and cheese on foods, opt for cilantro and pico de gallo. I still eat corn tortillas and in fact one of my favorite breakfasts is breakfast tacos with one egg, a serving of meatless breakfast crumbles, and top it with broccoli slaw and salsa. As far as everything else, just think moderation - when I was younger, I could polish off a heaping bowl of rice and beans, but now, I'm happy with 1 cup each of rice and beans or lentils.

That's true, eating in moderation.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    XxQueenMxX wrote: »
    Mmmm all the meat and cheese :p I just make taco salads ... beef or chicken, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes. black olives, salsa ... So filling

I ate lettuce wrap tacos twice last week! Minus the sour cream. I'm trying to stay off dairy as much as possible. May start substituting with greek yogurt but haven't dared to try it.

Lettuce wraps are yummy too! Is there a reason you are avoiding dairy?
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    Mmmm all the meat and cheese :p I just make taco salads ... beef or chicken, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes. black olives, salsa ... So filling

I ate lettuce wrap tacos twice last week! Minus the sour cream. I'm trying to stay off dairy as much as possible. May start substituting with greek yogurt but haven't dared to try it.

Lettuce wraps are yummy too! Is there a reason you are avoiding dairy?

Yes because i'm starting to become a bit lactose intolerant. I get bloated and gassy :(
    I had asada fries yesterday...they had cheese and sour cream (bad decision), after a whole week of eating good and no dairy, I felt like throwing up. I feel like the more I dont consume it, the more sensitive I become.
  • lopeze3
    lopeze3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just stay away from corn tortillas and bread.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My family is from Mexico, when I show up to my abuelita's place, I am always assaulted with fresh frijoles, tortillas, sopa, picadillo, posole if its the weekend... its hard. Really hard. Mostly I just stick to portion sizes and plan the rest of my day around it.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I do want to say, there is a big misconception that hispanic food is unhealthy. I remember growing up on pica de gallo, fresh corn, homemade tortillas with roasted poblanos and ancho peppers, tons of eggs, sliced fruit, corn tortillas with queso fresco and shredded chicken . It was really the portion sizing that messed me up. There was no one serving. It was always, "Quieres mas, mija?" :D:D:D:D
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    j7shlu85e7dg.jpg
    Dinner from the other night, my tips for eating Mexican food and keeping it healthy...

Shrimp tacos...

- Don't bread and deep fry your meat, grill it and use a modest amount of coconut oil, or boil your chicken
    - No salt, just seasoning
    - Use dark greens, I like raw spinach, onions, and cilantro
    - 1 slice of cheese in each taco, don't shred it, modesty..
    - Sauce, just drizzle it on, you just want to taste it, no need to cover your food in sauce
    - Don't fry the tortillas, just heat them
    - I like white corn organic la tortilla factory tortillas, 80 calories each and 4g of protein... You won't find better
    - Eat two, no more... This is key, learn to be satisfied with just 2, not 3... And use modest portions in your tacos, these only have like 4 or 5pcs of shrimp in each
    - Sour cream is a once in a while treat for me, but you can use Greek yogurt with some lemon mixed in it, taste the same if not better
    - Cheese, don't shred from a block, just use a slice, or break a slice in half and use half on each taco
    - Beans, use no salt added whole black beans and smash them yourself
    - Use brown rice, don't fry, less is more on the salt
    - Avoid the chips and salsa, tell the water no thanks
    - Restaurants, eat half, save half
    - Use avocado instead of sour cream when you can
    - Go meatless most days

Funny story, when my wife and I first started cooking together she made mashed potatoes and asked me where the potato masher was...

I was was like wtf is a potato masher... She pulled a utensil out of my drawer and said, it's this...

To which I replied... Oohhh, you mean the bean smasher :lol:

She was like, wtf is a bean smasher :lol:
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    My family is from Mexico, when I show up to my abuelita's place, I am always assaulted with fresh frijoles, tortillas, sopa, picadillo, posole if its the weekend... its hard. Really hard. Mostly I just stick to portion sizes and plan the rest of my day around it.

LOL....I'm going to visit my abuelitas next month in Mexico City, I am soooo excited for the over feeding I will receive.
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    I do want to say, there is a big misconception that hispanic food is unhealthy. I remember growing up on pica de gallo, fresh corn, homemade tortillas with roasted poblanos and ancho peppers, tons of eggs, sliced fruit, corn tortillas with queso fresco and shredded chicken . It was really the portion sizing that messed me up. There was no one serving. It was always, "Quieres mas, mija?" :D:D:D:D
    Oh I know!! You can definitely find alternatives and cook it in a healthier way. But there are some things that like you said, you just cant stop eating. LOL or the "Otro platito?"..."andale, apoco ya te llenaste?"
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options

LOL....I'm going to visit my abuelitas next month in Mexico City, I am soooo excited for the over feeding I will receive.

Yeah this is a hard one... They always look so disappointed when you don't want freaking 3rds lol...

Usually I eat a small plate to start and if I need to go back for seconds to make them happy, I just get a smaller amount and try hide it and then lie and say I ate more than I did and make sure they know I thought it was delicious...
  • XxQueenMxX
    Options
    j7shlu85e7dg.jpg
    Dinner from the other night, my tips for eating Mexican food and keeping it healthy...

Shrimp tacos...

- Don't bread and deep fry your meat, grill it and use a modest amount of coconut oil, or boil your chicken
    - No salt, just seasoning
    - Use dark greens, I like raw spinach, onions, and cilantro
    - 1 slice of cheese in each taco, don't shred it, modesty..
    - Sauce, just drizzle it on, you just want to taste it, no need to cover your food in sauce
    - Don't fry the tortillas, just heat them
    - I like white corn organic la tortilla factory tortillas, 80 calories each and 4g of protein... You won't find better
    - Eat two, no more... This is key, learn to be satisfied with just 2, not 3... And use modest portions in your tacos, these only have like 4 or 5pcs of shrimp in each
    - Sour cream is a once in a while treat for me, but you can use Greek yogurt with some lemon mixed in it, taste the same if not better
    - Cheese, don't shred from a block, just use a slice, or break a slice in half and use half on each taco
    - Beans, use no salt added whole black beans and smash them yourself
    - Use brown rice, don't fry, less is more on the salt
    - Avoid the chips and salsa, tell the water no thanks
    - Restaurants, eat half, save half
    - Use avocado instead of sour cream when you can
    - Go meatless most days

Funny story, when my wife and I first started cooking together she made mashed potatoes and asked me where the potato masher was...

I was was like wtf is a potato masher... She pulled a utensil out of my drawer and said, it's this...

To which I replied... Oohhh, you mean the bean smasher :lol:

She was like, wtf is a bean smasher :lol:

LOL!!

Those tacos look great!!! I will definitely make them this week!! My husband loves shrimp, and I'm trying to learn more tasty healthy meals to make us, I think he will definitely love these. I always have unsalted black beans at home, it saves me so much time instead of making them. As far as the greek yogurt, IDK why i'm afraid to try it, but I think I will give it a shot. We do eat brown rice about once or twice a week, I make mexican rice and white rice with corn for my kids tho, which I also do eat sometimes but very little.
    Thanks!
  • ddmm2013
    ddmm2013 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Love Latino food!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I avoid the Mexican food by having Tex-Mex.