Lady Lifters

Options
Recently there has been a lot of hype, at least in my personal bubble, and debate on the "sexiness" or "rightness" of female power lifters and body builders. Personally, I think it's damn awesome to go against the norm and be a female lifter of any sort. (NOTE: This is not a debate forum).

Personally, I love lifting and have a great support group. I am very grateful for this, and I hope to create a forum on here to help support other female lifters (and females in general in the health and fitness realm!) to keep doing you, boo boo ;):D

Males welcome, always, only if you'll be supportive!

Power to ya, ladies

Replies

• miwwertz
    miwwertz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What's up ladies (and gents!)! Welcome welcome.

A little introduction, so I'm not a total stranger, I am a college student studying entrepreneurship and minoring in nutrition with a goal of becoming a health/nutrition, fitness and life coach. Helping people reach their goals and live a better life is one of the most rewarding feelings I think I have ever felt and I can only hope to help more people!

My current fitness goals include 100lbs x 5 on bench (185lbs x 1 as a final goal), 200lbs x 2 on squat (235lbs x 2 final), 235lbs x 3 deadlift (315lbs x 3 final), 1 full pull up (20 final), 5 consecutive strict pushups (30 final), and a cut weight of 150lbs (bulking weight of 175 come winter, am 165.4 now!). All by the end of the summer (August 31st)

Am struggling with not-so-dormant-anymore arthritis in both knees, and possible tendonitis in my left. As well as a sugar addiction!!! Haha

Am excited to meet you all!! Get at it
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd felt this way in college. I started lifting in my 30s and have come far but still have a lot left in my tank. Best of luck to you!
  • miwwertz
    Options
    miwwertz wrote: »
    Recently there has been a lot of hype, at least in my personal bubble,

You need a better bubble.

What would make it better?
  • miwwertz
    Options
    I wish I'd felt this way in college. I started lifting in my 30s and have come far but still have a lot left in my tank. Best of luck to you!

It's great to hear you are getting at it, it's never too late to do so :) and thank you!!
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    miwwertz wrote: »
    What's up ladies (and gents!)! Welcome welcome.

A little introduction, so I'm not a total stranger, I am a college student studying entrepreneurship and minoring in nutrition with a goal of becoming a health/nutrition, fitness and life coach. Helping people reach their goals and live a better life is one of the most rewarding feelings I think I have ever felt and I can only hope to help more people!

My current fitness goals include 100lbs x 5 on bench (185lbs x 1 as a final goal), 200lbs x 2 on squat (235lbs x 2 final), 235lbs x 3 deadlift (315lbs x 3 final), 1 full pull up (20 final), 5 consecutive strict pushups (30 final), and a cut weight of 150lbs (bulking weight of 175 come winter, am 165.4 now!). All by the end of the summer (August 31st)

Am struggling with not-so-dormant-anymore arthritis in both knees, and possible tendonitis in my left. As well as a sugar addiction!!! Haha

Am excited to meet you all!! Get at it

It sounds like you have some great, measurable short and long term goals set! There are some groups for women who lift that are already set up here that you might find cool to check out such as the one below :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/771-women-strength-training
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Hi miwwertz, you might want to check out the "gaining weight" forum as well- most of the serious lifters discuss programming and progress in there, and you will get excellent advice from the very amazing lady lifters.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I gotta ask. Why do you limit yourself by setting an end goal? I personally have no ceiling for my lifts, but I have set out to hit a 400 squat for July. If you set a number to reach but always strive for more after you reach it, you'll be able to stay much more motivated.

But yes, female lifters. Gorgeous. You can be petite and still look powerful and determined. Plus, I think it's just awesome that women are breaking the old norm and heading out in pursuit of some seriously heavy lifts.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I lift. It's great for your body in so many ways. I love feeling strong. I can also bench press your short term goal of 100x5
  • ivan040593
    ivan040593 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am a 2nd year powerlifter. I am learning new things about lifting almost every day. Those are some great goals. I think more woman should lift. I even hope to meet a woman that powerlifts some day.
  • pooey718
    pooey718 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have recently taken up lifting (last 2 months) and love it. I am learning a lot.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I'm a female powerlifter, and I'm sexy AH (totally not up for debate).

I also don't understand "end goals." I'm only going to stop at death...or 40.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I try to do one "pay it forward" comment to a woman at my gym each workout.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I’m a fellow female lifter :smile: I’m loving the feeling of awesomeness that comes with it. Also as a nurse in an aged care facility I strongly advise weight lifting to as many people as I can. It does wonders for our bones as well.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9927006/
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

By that logic, I didn’t start lifting until the afterlife.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

By that logic, I didn’t start lifting until the afterlife.

Yeah, I started at 39. I'm about to turn 44. "I'm not dead yet!" :wink:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I like this thread! Almost 50 and proud to be a lifter too!! :smile: