Wake-up Call

Options
Hey, I'm L. I'm 22 years old, and in the worst shape of my life. There are some contributing factors that led to me being 374 lbs as I write this, including genetics, chronic depression and eating issues. Mostly what it boils down to is for basically my whole life I've never paid attention to the quality of food that I eat, or the amount, and exercise is practically a foreign concept.

I'm trying to have a positive outlook on trying to lose weight, because I know that if I get discouraged I'll quit, like I've quit so many "diets" before. I have so much trouble getting started that I've just been coasting, gaining even more weight and making it harder and harder to exercise. I'm not beating up on myself, I'm just identifying the problem so that I can attempt to solve it. I have largely created the situation in which I find myself, and if I'm going to get better, I need to thoroughly explore everything that's led to this point.

In the summer of last year, I became unemployed, for complex reasons. Ever since then, I've basically existed as a ghost in my own life, just sleeping, eating, and occasionally summoning the energy to do something besides breathe. Honestly, my days blurred together so much, it's shocking to me that it's been almost a year since I stopped working.

About a week ago, I got a new job. On my first day, I went out and started walking to work. I had been so inactive, and gained so much weight since not working, that it was physically PAINFUL just to walk the 13 blocks or so to my job. I arrived, huffing and puffing, sweating, and humiliated. I used to walk three miles to work and back every day without even breaking a sweat.

So that was the glass-shattering moment for me, I guess. More than desire or vanity, or any other reason, I NEED to lose weight. If I don't start making active progress, I might not even be able to walk at ALL. I think this new job will help push me into being more active, but more than anything I need to address my issues with food.

I'm hoping that by using this tracker, I can build better habits and learn to make better choices as a matter of habit, rather than active effort.

So, here goes. Three days in, let's do this.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Good for you recognizing the need and taking action! I wish I had addressed my problems when I was your age instead of waiting more than twice that long! You're in the right place. Log everything, eat an appropriate number of calories according to what MFP gives you, and be patient. Set short term goals at first so you get some victories under your belt. You got this!
  • forumromanus77
    forumromanus77 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) My first mini-goal is to have a seven day "streak," and meet at least my calorie goal or lower for seven days.
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm L. I'm 22 years old, and in the worst shape of my life. There are some contributing factors that led to me being 374 lbs as I write this, including genetics, chronic depression and eating issues. Mostly what it boils down to is for basically my whole life I've never paid attention to the quality of food that I eat, or the amount, and exercise is practically a foreign concept.

I'm trying to have a positive outlook on trying to lose weight, because I know that if I get discouraged I'll quit, like I've quit so many "diets" before. I have so much trouble getting started that I've just been coasting, gaining even more weight and making it harder and harder to exercise. I'm not beating up on myself, I'm just identifying the problem so that I can attempt to solve it. I have largely created the situation in which I find myself, and if I'm going to get better, I need to thoroughly explore everything that's led to this point.

In the summer of last year, I became unemployed, for complex reasons. Ever since then, I've basically existed as a ghost in my own life, just sleeping, eating, and occasionally summoning the energy to do something besides breathe. Honestly, my days blurred together so much, it's shocking to me that it's been almost a year since I stopped working.

About a week ago, I got a new job. On my first day, I went out and started walking to work. I had been so inactive, and gained so much weight since not working, that it was physically PAINFUL just to walk the 13 blocks or so to my job. I arrived, huffing and puffing, sweating, and humiliated. I used to walk three miles to work and back every day without even breaking a sweat.

So that was the glass-shattering moment for me, I guess. More than desire or vanity, or any other reason, I NEED to lose weight. If I don't start making active progress, I might not even be able to walk at ALL. I think this new job will help push me into being more active, but more than anything I need to address my issues with food.

I'm hoping that by using this tracker, I can build better habits and learn to make better choices as a matter of habit, rather than active effort.

So, here goes. Three days in, let's do this.

Wow... I'm very inspired hearing this!

Don't ever give up, and also never fall for any of those "crash" diets again. They just set you up for failure, and lifestyle changes are the only way true weight loss will work. Have you gone to your doctor to get any blood tests done just to see a panel?

What scared me into losing weight was when I got blood tests done. My ldl cholesterol was dangerously high from lifestyle AND gentics. My doctor striaght up said: "If you don't fix this... well, you're on the road to heart disease and heart attacks." That scared me so much, so I started exercising and eating better.

You can do this. We're all in this together, and there's more people around the corner to help you. I'd recommend a therapist, too. They can help you with any emotional issues you're experiencing.

Good luck to you.
  • forumromanus77
    Options
    I'm in an awkward place insurance-wise (I'm still technically supposed to be on my mom's, but her company keeps kicking me off, and I can't afford my own plan right now.) I suspect there might be some hormonal/metabolism issue that contributes to my problem, and as soon as I can I want to get checked out. In the mean time, I'm going to take the steps that I can right now.
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm in an awkward place insurance-wise (I'm still technically supposed to be on my mom's, but her company keeps kicking me off, and I can't afford my own plan right now.) I suspect there might be some hormonal/metabolism issue that contributes to my problem, and as soon as I can I want to get checked out. In the mean time, I'm going to take the steps that I can right now.

Oh, I'm sorry you're going through all this right now. :( It's hard.

I want to see you here every day, so you can be surrounded by others that can help you through your journey. I'm rooting for you :).
  • forumromanus77
    Options
    Thank you, that is very encouraging. I'm always a little nervous starting these things. <3