Looking for some REAL advice! HELP!!!!!

Options
I have been trying to lose weight since december, and having a really hard time (12 and 15 day migraines, violent illness and extreme fatigue) because of constant changing levels of my medication. From January to mid July I lost 18 pounds, I was pretty frustrated and I realized that I needed to get back on track and start writing it all down and doing it "Right".

I have been tracking my food and exercise now for 31 days, I am using a pedometer and trying to add in as much other movement as I can. I have had a few bad days but since my meds have stayed constant over this last month I have been doing great!! I have not been great, but as a "First" month goes....It could be worse! I have a really hard time getting a zero balance on my calories! My days have worked out like this:

Days with Calories more than 100 over limit - 7 days (most 300 or more!)
Days with Calories less than 100 over limit - 4 days
Days with Calories less than 100 under limit - 6 days
Days with Calories more than 100 under limit - 14 days (the worst day was a headache day and I had over 600 calories left!)

So whats the problem......I haven't even lost (or gained so yay!) a single OUNCE!!!!!!!!!! I have had measurable losses in inches and overall look of face and way clothes hang though.

So the question is this.....am I just a "Newbie" screwing it up and finding my way? Am I doing something wrong? I am working very hard to reduce the number of prepackaged lunches I have etc but this is pretty hard with my schedule most days! Have a hit one of those dreaded plateau's I hear about????

Any constructive criticism and advice is welcomed!

Replies

• Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    Sounds like you're loosing fat, but gaining muscle. Since muscle weighs more than fat, the scale won't show a drastic change. Scales don't measure how fit you are, so don't get hung up on the numbers. Focus on how your body has been changing overall :)

Note: About muscle weighing more than fat, I realize that a pound is a pound(it sounded better in my head lol) I meant pertaining to the amount of space it takes up on your body. A lot of fat can weigh as much as a small amount of muscle. This leads to discouragement to a lot of people who focus on the scale.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    By looking at your diary, if I were you I would increase water A LOT!!!!!!! At least 10 cups a day, and watch your sodium intake too. That always seemed to help me a lot. Good Luck!
  • TheYoungRetiree
    TheYoungRetiree Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I never have a zero balance on calories but consider it a good day if I am within 100 on either side. I've only gone over twice, but kept them inside of the 100 over.

I know last week I had some issues and while I was underneath in calories all week, I was over in sodium almost every single day :/ That could be something for you to look into.

If your clothes are fitting better and you're feeling great, I would suggest measuring! You could be losing inches that the scale just doesn't "see".
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It looks like you aren't eating a whole lot of fiber. The amount MFP recommends is pretty low; I think 25-30 is what is generally recommended for women. And definitely try to reduce sodium and drink lots of water.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Sodium is too high (way too high), because you are eating mostly fast food.
    Protein: too low
    Carbs: too much
    Not enough vegetables or/and fruit.

I would suggest (since you asked) that you reduce your sodium intake, reduce your simple carbs, increase protein and add more fruit and vegetables to your daily meals.

We should still eat carbs but not the ones coming from pizza or white bread and white pasta. Go for beans, brown rice, sweet potato and whole grain pasta as much as possible.

Keep up with your exercise routine and don't give up. You will get there.

Good luck!
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    Hey there....Thanks for opening your diary. I took a peek and agree with what everyone else has suggested regards upping water consumption and taking a look at decreasing sodium. Dependent on the medications you are taking, they could be the type that assist you retain fluids or prohibit weight loss, so review them with your doctor and/or with a nutritionist to get a complete review and plan of attack.

FYI, a pound is a pound and muscle doesn't weigh any more than fat....muscle is just more compact and takes up less space and that is why it's a good idea to measure as well as weigh for progress.

If I can be of any help, please let me know!
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    By looking at your diary, if I were you I would increase water A LOT!!!!!!! At least 10 cups a day, and watch your sodium intake too. That always seemed to help me a lot. Good Luck!

My nutritionist and neurologist actually advise against drinking that much! I am drinking constantly throughout the day (there is no time I do not have a water bottle or cup in my hand) and they count the fluid I am drinking elsewhere as well as fluid intake. I typically drink a 16 oz skinny latte, 1 or 2 - 20oz cups of water or watered down iced tea, 1- 20 ounce bottles of water or watered down juice at home which is 56 or 76 ounces. They only allow me to drink this much because I am taking a medication that acts like a diuretic and they make sure I am not eating low sodium so as not to throw off my levels and cause hyponatremia.

Flooding your system with water and having a low sodium diet is actually very harmful and can cause very serious renal problems. You should consult your doctor if your doing so. I am closely monitored and still have to have rounds of monthly bloodtests to ensure all my levels are good!
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Can you take part of the weekend to cook at least your lunches (or whatever meal you tend not to be home for) ahead of time? Try to plan in advance as much as possible so that you're not taken by surprise while you're out. I used to hate going shopping and then realize I'm hungry while I'm out, buy something "quick and easy", eat it, and then have to live with the negative consequences of not being prepared. Now, I carry a protein bar with me so that I have something to tie me over (without ruining my nutrition plan) until I get home.

We also plan our menu for the week out ahead of time. It's so much easier to just come home and know exactly what I'm supposed to make for dinner instead of staring at a bunch of frozen food wondering what will work the fastest - thawing some meat or calling for a take out order.:wink:

Also agree with mistibergman's comment about the water and the sodium and with Jackie's comment about looking at the overall picture instead of just at the scale.
  • Twasney
    Options
    Sounds like you're loosing fat, but gaining muscle. Since muscle weighs more than fat, the scale won't show a drastic change. Scales don;t measure hoe fit you are, so don't get hung up on the numbers. Focus on how your body has been changing overall :)

Thanks Jackie!! its hard to ignore that damn scale!!!!
  • Twasney
    Options
    I never have a zero balance on calories but consider it a good day if I am within 100 on either side. I've only gone over twice, but kept them inside of the 100 over.

I know last week I had some issues and while I was underneath in calories all week, I was over in sodium almost every single day :/ That could be something for you to look into.

If your clothes are fitting better and you're feeling great, I would suggest measuring! You could be losing inches that the scale just doesn't "see".

Thanks....I will be aiming for that space on either side of the zero!
  • Twasney
    Options
    It looks like you aren't eating a whole lot of fiber. The amount MFP recommends is pretty low; I think 25-30 is what is generally recommended for women. And definitely try to reduce sodium and drink lots of water.

Do you have some good ideas for fibre that are not super high calorie?? I would definetly like to be eating more fibre!
  • Twasney
    Options
    Sodium is too high (way too high), because you are eating mostly fast food.
    Protein: too low
    Carbs: too much
    Not enough vegetables or/and fruit.

I would suggest (since you asked) that you reduce your sodium intake, reduce your simple carbs, increase protein and add more fruit and vegetables to your daily meals.

We should still eat carbs but not the ones coming from pizza or white bread and white pasta. Go for beans, brown rice, sweet potato and whole grain pasta as much as possible.

Keep up with your exercise routine and don't give up. You will get there.

Good luck!

Awesome advice!!! I think I have to be more careful about picking the EXACT item I am eating in the food list too, I make a lot of substitutions if the calories are right and it looks close!!! BAD TARA!!!! I think this may be upping what your all saying about the sodium....because other than the packaged lunches and such I dont' eat that much and make sure to choose the lower options!! as per my previous reply though....I am instructed by my nutritionist not to eat a "low sodium diet"
  • Twasney
    Options
    Hey there....Thanks for opening your diary. I took a peek and agree with what everyone else has suggested regards upping water consumption and taking a look at decreasing sodium. Dependent on the medications you are taking, they could be the type that assist you retain fluids or prohibit weight loss, so review them with your doctor and/or with a nutritionist to get a complete review and plan of attack.

FYI, a pound is a pound and muscle doesn't weigh any more than fat....muscle is just more compact and takes up less space and that is why it's a good idea to measure as well as weigh for progress.

If I can be of any help, please let me know!

Thanks and your right...my meds are crappy LOL...they are actually a diuretic though! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to review my log and offer up some great advice! Here is to a great next month!!
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Do you have some good ideas for fibre that are not super high calorie?? I would definetly like to be eating more fibre!

[/quote]

Veggies
    Beans & Legumes
    Nuts
    Whole wheat products (higher carb & cal content though)
  • Twasney
    Options
    Can you take part of the weekend to cook at least your lunches (or whatever meal you tend not to be home for) ahead of time? Try to plan in advance as much as possible so that you're not taken by surprise while you're out. I used to hate going shopping and then realize I'm hungry while I'm out, buy something "quick and easy", eat it, and then have to live with the negative consequences of not being prepared. Now, I carry a protein bar with me so that I have something to tie me over (without ruining my nutrition plan) until I get home.

We also plan our menu for the week out ahead of time. It's so much easier to just come home and know exactly what I'm supposed to make for dinner instead of staring at a bunch of frozen food wondering what will work the fastest - thawing some meat or calling for a take out order.:wink:

Also agree with mistibergman's comment about the water and the sodium and with Jackie's comment about looking at the overall picture instead of just at the scale.

OH MY GOD GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!!!! thats exactly what I think about when I look at the damn fridge! I was doing way better in the winter, I would make big low fat stews, soups etc and then freeze them in both family size and individual size so that when time was bad I could heat up something I knew was good for me!

Thank you for the reminder to get off my butt and back into the kitchen!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    This might be somewhat restrictive advice and may not be feasible at all for you, but try to cut out all grains. I've heard of so many people having debilitating migraines whose cause was simply grains (more likely, specifically gluten). I've heard of many many people who have gotten rid of them with just that change. If you absolutely *need* starch, stick to potatoes (sweet preferably), and potentially rice and corn.

Yes, getting in the kitchen and cooking your own meals will go a long way. Looking at your diary, you seem to be eating out a lot.

If you're wanting to see encouraging weight loss, I'd recommend these 2 simple steps:
    - Get your carbs under 100g per day (mostly from fruits and veggies)
    - Get plenty of protein and fat.

And again, I'd really recommend trying to cut out grains (3 weeks should be sufficient to see changes) to see if they may be causing your migraines.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My fix for sticking with the food choices I should be having (vs. those that are convenient) is to have the same thing, with some variation, each weekday for breakfast and for lunch. Weekends I mix it up a bit because I'm not at work and can do some more creative options, such as a larger brunch vs. breakfast and lunch. Yes, I am a wild and crazy person!

Each weekend I go to Costco and buy a colorful assortment of fresh vegetables that are good in salads--snack size cucumbers, pea pods, red, orange and yellow bell peppers, a big tub of mixed greens, and a big bowl of pre-made fruit salad. Once a month I get a 24-pack of Light and Fit yogurt (80 calories). I hard cook a few eggs and cut and freezeleft-over portions of grilled chicken or other protein from dinner into 2-3 oz package. I get a good variety of flavorful salad toppings, such as muffalata, yogurt/cucumber/dill sauce, etc.

Then, depending on how busy my week is going to be, I either make several large salads on Sunday night (leaving out the protein source until the day I use the salad), or make one the night before. Take-out containers from Noodles or McDonald's salads are perferct for this. I also pre-portion 2 c servings of mixed fruit. When I leave for work, I grab a yogurt, the fruit and the salad, add the protein source, and the dressing or topping. I often put in my work lunch bag a hard cooked egg or some high quality, tasty cheese. I haven't actually done the math, but I would estimate that my lunch salad probably costs about $1.00, so I'm saving money as well as calories.

I weigh or measure everything I eat at home, and have added a few recipes so I have those ready to go as well. I'm moderately lactose intolerant so I can't drink much milk, but have discovered that vanilla soy milk is a very good protein source and makes a tasty shake when blended with ice cream. It satisfied my sweet tooth and adds a protein boost, which I was told to increase.

The portion size is really really important and choosing the correct version of the food in the database. When possible, I use MFP's UPC scanner on my smartphone to scan the actual food item. Even then, the portion size can easily trip you up. My weight loss isn't great, but it's happening, which is the key.My clothes fit better, I'm able to wear most of the ones I had packed away from my last low weight, and as I've posted before, when I feel discourage by the amount of weight loss I look at the pound of lard in my pantry leftover from Christmas baking and visualize 5 or 10 of those slabs coming off my body. It immediately makes me feel a lot better.

I have hypothyroidism, so it's an ongoing challenge to achieve weight loss even at 1200 calories/day, so I do have other "mind games" I use to keep me feeling positive when after 1-2 weeks, all I show is a quarter pound lost. Stick at it and be 100% honest about everything little thing that goes into your mouth. It's amazing how little tastes and corners of crackers, etc., add up!
  • Twasney
    Options
    This might be somewhat restrictive advice and may not be feasible at all for you, but try to cut out all grains. I've heard of so many people having debilitating migraines whose cause was simply grains (more likely, specifically gluten). I've heard of many many people who have gotten rid of them with just that change. If you absolutely *need* starch, stick to potatoes (sweet preferably), and potentially rice and corn.

Great advice, sadly my migraines are caused by a disease called Pseudo Tumor Cerebri, where my body produces too much spinal fluid which puts pressure on my brain and optic nerves. Side effects include vision disturbances, nausea, migraines, neck pain and back pain.

I have an awesome team of doctors and my nutritionist is pretty against exclusion dieting! But she does want me to cut out the white stuff and stick to the whole grains!!

thanks for the encouragement and I will be getting back into the kitchen for sure! I have mastered it for breakfasts, on to lunches and dinners now!
  • lynne6157
    Options
    don't be so concerned with what the scale says as we woman know our weight can fluctuate every day because of fluid retention, whether or not it is that time of month etc. If your clothes are fitting better and you are losing inches then you are fine. I wouldn't even bother with the scale, since it really be so different every time you get on it, but go by how you look and how your clothes are fitting
  • Twasney
    Options
    awesome advice geekymom!! Thanks for the great list of ideas!