Calories from steps

Options
Do you count calories from steps?

I walked a little over 8000 steps today. Google says that's about 300 calories burned. Is that accurate?

I wear Samsung watch but my steps don't synch with mfp.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you can't sync to MFP, log the purposeful walking/running you did as exercise. Anything else will be accounted for in your chosen activity level.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't.My steps are accounted for in my activity level.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I walked a little over 8000 steps today. Google says that's about 300 calories burned. Is that accurate?

I go by what samsung health gives me as I don't have a syncable device.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    The formula they used to calculate calories burned during a walkis pretty accurate, I've tested it. What you need to watch out for is if your tracker is correctly calibrate because if you are over counting steps, and I've seen many who walk upwards to 50,000 steps a day due to poor calibration then calories burned will be off.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    300 seems about right.
  • tamonkay
    tamonkay Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use a gear s3 to track my steps through Samsung health, and I set it to sync with my mfp account to give me more calories. I have my activity level set at sedentary because on days I work, I get about 12-14,000 steps vs my days off when I'm lucky to get 5000. I eat back 25-50% of the exercise calories I get from steps. It's working so far, and it's nice to have more calories on the days I work and am moving all day!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Calories are totally FICTITIOUS. READ PROF STRASSLERXS ARTICLE ON ENERGY. ENERGY IS ONLY FICTION, A NUMBER

Whoa! Jumping on other people threads, that’s a new one shouty guy!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Hello stinky hiney woman

You have the best user names.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set at sedentary bevause every day is different. Steps get counted in with exercise on my Fitbit.

Me too, sedentary setting and counting steps. How many calories you get usually depends on your age/gender/size. I am 61, 145 pounds and female. 8000 steps gives me around 100 calories.

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't use the calories burned on my steps as it's inaccurate. My watch gives my TDEE with my steps and I know for sure that isn't right. I just see it in my % activity for the day.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I don't use the calories burned on my steps as it's inaccurate. My watch gives my TDEE with my steps and I know for sure that isn't right. I just see it in my % activity for the day.

Why do you think it’s not right?
  • endermako
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Because it's saying when my polar watch syncs with MFP it tries to make my steps equal however many calories were equal to my TDEE that day. So it will pull over not just step calories but everything.
  • endermako
    Options

Because it's saying when my polar watch syncs with MFP it tries to make my steps equal however many calories were equal to my TDEE that day. So it will pull over not just step calories but everything.

I'm not a polar watch user, so I might be wrong - but if it is an activity tracker, like a FitBit, then when it syncs with MFP it is supposed to bring over all your activity, not just exercise, not just steps - but an estimate of how many calories you've actually burned so far that day. Then the adjustment between MFP and the device is the difference b/w how many calories MFP thinks you would burn, based on stats that you entered, and what your device says you actually burned. So it pulls in your TDEE from the device, and your adjustment allows you to eat up to that, or up to the goal you've set (TDEE- your deficit).

A lot of people distrust their devices and the sync because they believe they couldn't possibly be burning that many calories, or couldn't possibly eat that many calories and still lose weight. Many of us have found that trusting the devices and the systems leads to great results in that you can eat more and still lose weight, as long as your other information and logging is accurate.

But again, my experience is with FitBit, others might know if a Polar watch is accurate or not when working with MFP.

You are correct that is exactly what it's doing, but it puts it all in my steps (calories burned) for just steps. I wish there was a better place to put it.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set at sedentary bevause every day is different. Steps get counted in with exercise on my Fitbit.

Same!