I don't want to hurt myself!

Options
I have been working out pretty hard and am really feeling the results. I make sure I warm up and stretch but today I hurt so much I am worried if I exercise at the same rate I might hurt myself. Should I alternate and do something with a litlle lower impact on the days when I feel like this, or should I just plunge forward?:frown:

Replies

• plumpgirl
    Options
    I have been working out pretty hard and am really feeling the results. I make sure I warm up and stretch but today I hurt so much I am worried if I exercise at the same rate I might hurt myself. Should I alternate and do something with a litlle lower impact on the days when I feel like this, or should I just plunge forward?:frown:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Well make sure you are taking at least one day off every week so no more than 6 days on without taking a break! I'd say if it's sore pain than you can push through it but if it's hurt pain than do something that has less impact because you don't want to injure yourself more, maybe the elliptical!

~Leash
  • xXmimiXx
    xXmimiXx Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    What have you been doing in your workouts? Maybe if we look at what you're doing, you might discover that for one workout (especially if you're working out 6 days a week) you're attempting too much?

:flowerforyou:
  • marc4
    marc4 Posts: 79
    Options
    I have those days also, today being one of them so today I will be doing an aqua fit class. Its low impact and you barely feel like your working out.......

:wink:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

If your just starting out you may have to just plunge forward I had soreness as well and still do if I boost my routine but I take a tylenol and push through it. It goes away after a day or two. But make sure you can talk ok when working out..If you find you cant even keep a beat with a song then I would say slow down a bit...rate your soreness 1-10 at a 7 I probably would do low impact.
  • plumpgirl
    Options
    What have you been doing in your workouts? Maybe if we look at what you're doing, you might discover that for one workout (especially if you're working out 6 days a week) you're attempting too much?

I mostly do things like tae bo. But my hips and knees are having a hard time with all the jumping around. Maybe I should try pilates once in a while?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    there's a difference between injury-pain and soreness-pain. if you are sore from working muscles that aren't used to it, the soreness should ease after about 10-15 minutes of working and warming up those muscles. injury is a sharper pain, doesn't ease and (sometimes)shows other symptoms (bruising, swelling, etc).
    when I go for a run, my legs feel sore, but then when I run the next day, within the first 5 minutes of the run, my legs warm up and feel okay again.
    stretching is good, both before and after for muscles that are not used to the effort you are asking of them. also a little tylenol can be helpful.