Military over head press help.

Options
Hi I need help with these. I'm new to weight lifiting well sorta new I'm more of a calistentics person I just got a new set of weights today and when I attempted to do overhead press to work my triceps,shoulders,upper middle back,neck. I can never seem to feel or get my triceps and shoulders to work and feel the burn the only muscles that seem to work is my upper middle back and muscles around my neck. I do the best as I can as far as proper form and slow reps but even doing this is not working. What am I doing wrong? How can I fix this? Thanks

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    when you say 'shoulders' are you thinking of your deltoids [from shoulder joint down the first part of your arm], or more your mid traps [from shoulder joint moving towards your neck]? i'm not sure i know anything useful for you, but if it helps any, i don't think i ever felt ohp very much in the triceps and deltoids either. also not sure if you even can do an overhead press without using them, even if it doesn't feel like you are.

'upper back' kind of sounds to me like your lower traps. to be honest, most people are relatively weak in that part of their traps, so the fact that you're possibly feeling it there isn't necessarily a bad thing. it could just be your red-headed stepchild muscles are catching up to the ones that you've already been working on for a while.

triceps help with lockout, if i'm remembering properly (it's been a while since i lifted anything much atm). they straighten the elbow joint, basically. it might help if you try to think of yourself bracing your feet on the floor and pushing your hands 'through' the bar. and if i think about it, you might get some good mileage from making sure you control the eccentric part of each rep - that's when you're lowering the weight back down to the start point. don't get in the habit of thinking the rep's done when you have it locked out, and just kind of dropping it to begin the next rep.

just so you know, i'm just a regular person here. so i'm guessing really- though i do really like ohp when i am lifting regularly.

maybe if you can post a video more knowledgeable people will have more specific ideas on your form.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It's normal to feel weak in that area if you haven't been doing handstand pushups or other upward movements. Give it time to catch up. :+1:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about where you're "feeling" it, that's basically totally irrelevant. You'll feel it in your weakest areas typically, at least in the beginning. I'd worry more about correct technique, personally, so maybe video yourself if you're concerned.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    A few things...

- Use a closer grip, don't go to wide
    - Never go behind the neck, always in the front
    - Don't crunch your upper traps and neck
    - Keep your shoulders down and back by activating your lower traps...

Here is a great video...
    https://youtu.be/RUkfBaDvBUg
    Follow this guy, he is invaluable!
  • taylorblade
    taylorblade Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone I will see what I can do but whatever I do just seems to never work. Same with like bench pressing my chest or triceps will not work when doing bench press.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Without a vid of what your form is, it wouldn't be appropriate to guide you how to improve or fix your form we can't see.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone I will see what I can do but whatever I do just seems to never work. Same with like bench pressing my chest or triceps will not work when doing bench press.

... then you would never get the bar off of your chest. It's often hard to feel every muscle that is involved in a compound movement - even when they are working. Developing that mind/muscle connection is difficult sometimes, especially if you are pushing too close to your one rep max or there are significant imbalances.

You say your are a "calisthenics person" - are you expecting the same kind of burn? In my experience, lifting relatively heavy feels entirely different than light weight high rep or body weight type workouts. I'm not sure you should compare them in that way.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options

That's kinematically impossible. If your triceps and pecs weren't firing, you couldn't move the bar upwards at all. Perhaps they're just not developed enough for the loads you want to move.

It's hard to say what's going on without seeing you actually Press or Bench Press. If you want to post a video I'm sure many of us will critique. If not, some generalized tips...

1. Try and find a video on form for each lift
    2. Use a good program that will help develop each lift, do not try and create your own if you're new to this
    3. I've found that breathing is especially critical for each compound lift, but the Press is probably even most critical. Make sure you're breathing properly throughout the range of motion.