Water intake

Options
I drink about a gallon of water a day but I am still feeling dehydrated. I try to drink all my water before 7 pm so I’m not having to pee in the middle of the night. Should I increase my intake?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I drink about a gallon of water a day but I am still feeling dehydrated. I try to drink all my water before 7 pm so I’m not having to pee in the middle of the night. Should I increase my intake?

You are probably drinking too much water and flushing your electrolytes, especially if you are not consuming higher amounts of sodium, potassium and magnesium. What does your sodium intake look like?
  • RecognitionT
    RecognitionT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    From what I've read recently, anything less than 0.75-1 L per hour is more or less safe for proper processing... that's 4.7-6.3 gallons that's considered "safe".

I've personally been drinking 24-30 cups a day (well over a gallon) for satiation reasons.

If you're feeling dehydrated, drink more. Restricting yourself from drinking water past 7 PM is silly. If you really are sold on keeping your intake where it is at a gallon a day, then spread it out more evenly throughout the day... even if it means having to use the washroom in the middle of the night.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    1 gallon is not alot, I agree with @RecognitionT, if you're thirsty I wouldn't worry about drinking more. I too get up in the night to use the washroom but I never have trouble going back to sleep so it's not an issue for me. I drink between 8 and 12 8oz. glasses a day. No problem with my electrolytes from it.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,105 Member
    Options
    The colour of your pee will tell you if you are actually dehydrated. This has a relatively handy guide
    http://www.urinecolors.com/themes/uctheme/assets/dehydration-chart.pdf
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    From what I've read recently, anything less than 0.75-1 L per hour is more or less safe for proper processing... that's 4.7-6.3 gallons that's considered "safe".

I've personally been drinking 24-30 cups a day (well over a gallon) for satiation reasons.

If you're feeling dehydrated, drink more. Restricting yourself from drinking water past 7 PM is silly. If you really are sold on keeping your intake where it is at a gallon a day, then spread it out more evenly throughout the day... even if it means having to use the washroom in the middle of the night.

Being overhydrated(and in electrolyte imbalance) can cause thirst or the sensation of dehydration. Continuing along that path is dry drowning.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Being overhydrated(and in electrolyte imbalance) can cause thirst or the sensation of dehydration. Continuing along that path is dry drowning.

Exactly, there is a reason why they don't give you water at a hospital to hydrate you. They give you sodium chloride.
  • Sakura_Tree
    Sakura_Tree Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    being thirsty all the time is a warning sign of diabetes. but if your in good shape then there may be another reason.