I'm afraid to weigh myself

Options
13»

Replies

• mscoutable
    mscoutable Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For me, it was important to know how much I weighed at my highest. Even though it is tough, I think you can make it benefit yourself in the long run.

I felt ashamed when I first saw my weight, but I have had a different attitude since knowing. It is easier for me to say no to food and make better choices because that number is always in the back of my head. I don't want to be there ever again! I may not like that number, but I'm glad it helped motivate me to get to where I am now.
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You could always weigh yourself in kg instead of pounds (or whatever measurement doesn’t actually mean anything to you). That way you have your starting weight and can accurately log your losses etc without “knowing” how much you weigh.

Ultimately though, I think you really do need to weigh yourself so you know where you are. I was horrified the first time I stepped on the scale. Ashamed and disgusted. But the joy and pride you experience as you watch that number creep lower as the weeks go by is incredible. Give yourself an accurate starting point and you’ll feel that self esteem go up exponentially as your weight loss journey progresses. Set up your goals, stick to them by logging everything as accurately as you possibly can, and watch what happens! Wishing you the absolute best of luck!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Just get it over with and then you know the score and can work towards lowering that number.
  • RecognitionT
    RecognitionT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just get it over with and then you know the score and can work towards lowering that number.

This.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I know everyone generally says just get on the scale (and congrats I see you already weighed in) but I just wanted to add this. When I started my weight loss journey the last time it was after years and years of binge dieting I was always horrified of the scale even if I thought I had lost weight. I would dread getting on and if I saw a number that was high it would set me off into a cycle of under eating, overexercising and then binging. Not everyone has the same relationship with the scale but for a long time that was mine.

The scale number no longer really bothers me after years of maintenance but for anyone that has a really bad relationship with seeing their weight number I found the quantum scale extremely helpful and started using it from day one of my weight loss journey instead of a regular scale. It never shows you your actual weight, only the cumulative total of what you gained or lost from your initial weigh in (ex -15 or +2). This helped me to just focus on my progress and even if I had gains along the way it changed my mindset to thinking how far i've come not how far I still had to go. I'm totally not trying to be an advertisement here, I don't even use it anymore but I found it insanely helpful at that time in my life where I still had a bad relationship with food weight and body image.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    billbrieck wrote: »
    From your picture, you are beautiful right now! A number on the scale won't change that, and it may help to motivate you to take better care of your health and your body.

This is a seven-year-old post. It's a little late to try to give the OP a pep talk.

But it also means that new people are actually using the search function, which is definitely something to encourage! I love zombie posts!
  • yvonne_beavis
    yvonne_beavis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I didn't know what I weighed till the Dr asked me to step on the scales, in front of a visiting trainee as well! It wasn't a nice moment, but you can take it two ways. Be horrified and just turn your back on it, or decide that that's enough and things are going to change. Once you have decided that, you won't look back, but if you don't even know your starting point, it will be hard to know when you are successful. Whatever you weigh, that's just one thing about you, it doesn't define you. Think of weight loss as a task or a challenge, not a punishment for being you. I wish you the best of luck.