Protein powders: are they worth it?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    There was a study recently concerning eggs and muscle, which radioactively tagged and tracked the proteins in eggs eaten after a workout, and found that more of them ended up in muscle when whole eggs were eaten than when just egg whites were eaten, even though the subjects ate the same amount of protein total. The researchers don't know why, although there are theories. Something about a whole egg apparently triggers muscle building in a way that egg whites don't.

In other words, there are a lot of things nutritionists still don't understand about how food works inside the body. In general, foods work better than things that aren't food. There are several vitamins which are more easily absorbed in conjunction with other vitamins, which are conveniently found together in common foods, and not found together in supplements.

There's not much research yet on how well protein powders work, but there's already some evidence that the body can only absorb a limited amount of protein at a time, and the rest is excreted. Eating protein in the form of, you guessed it, food, seems to circumvent these limits.

In the absence of evidence that protein powders work as well as protein rich foods, I'm gonna stick with food.

Post the studies.

Otherwise:

https://atlargenutrition.com/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

https://bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html/
  • AnvilHead
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Most recent meta-analysis by Schoenfeld and Aragon (2018): https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-018-0215-1

Offers guidelines as to optimal amounts of protein intake and timing for MPS, but says further research is needed to quantify a specific upper threshold for per-meal protein intake (in terms of stimulating MPS).
  • Fitnessinyour40s
    Fitnessinyour40s Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes they work and are intended for supplementation, to fill macro nutrient gaps. I personally prefer getting my protein source from real food.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    If you actually break it down to price per grams of protein, protein powders aren't that expensive. A lb of chicken breast where I live costs anywhere from 3 to 4 dollars. So that's around 106g of protein for the whole pound. I prefer protein that taste good so I pay a little more for my preferred protein @54.99 a 5lb tub. At 4 scoops to keep things around the same im getting 100g of protein, costs me about $4. In line with chicken breast. I also bought a 11lb bag of myprotein for $50. Which is 199.5 servings and costs me roughly $.25 per serving. Now to keep things in line for around 100g of protein im paying $1.31.

Personally, I don't use protein powders that often. However the convenience of them is why I buy them. Throw some powder in a shaker cup while im on the go. Quick and easy for when I don't have time to prepare something and cheaper compared to eating out. I consider protein powders food and to me it isn't that expensive compared to other foods that I buy regularly.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Having been weight training for a number of years, I've tended to use protein powders post work. But recently I've come to the conclusion that they're quite expensive so I make a shake from milk, porridge oats, a banana and a spoon of Whole Earth peanut butter. A lot cheaper but still containing a good amount of protein.
    What's other folks thoughts?

That doesn't really seem like a protein shake...more carbs and fat than anything.

A protein shake is just a supplement to aid in hitting more lofty protein targets...nothing more, nothing less. I supplement occasionally, but I can hit my targets with food most days.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    My quick and dirty take on protein powders. If you know that you are going to be short on your protein goal for the day, you may want to make you a shake to make up the deficit. But I wouldn't use them as they were regular meals.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It works for me, so I do it. Of course sometimes I drink chocolate milk or just eat a banana.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    My quick and dirty take on protein powders. If you know that you are going to be short on your protein goal for the day, you may want to make you a shake to make up the deficit. But I wouldn't use them as they were regular meals.

1) They're not intended to be regular meals. A meal replacement shake (as opposed to a protein shake) has more evenly balanced nutrition. They're intended to supplement your protein intake if you're not getting enough from the rest of your diet, with minimal calories from other macronutrients.

2) I wouldn't use any shake as a regular meal because I don't find them particularly satiating. If I'm actually hungry, a protein shake (or any drink/liquid) doesn't do much of anything as far as satisfying my hunger.
  • for_ever_young66
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

1) They're not intended to be regular meals. A meal replacement shake (as opposed to a protein shake) has more evenly balanced nutrition. They're intended to supplement your protein intake if you're not getting enough from the rest of your diet, with minimal calories from other macronutrients.

2) I wouldn't use any shake as a regular meal because I don't find them particularly satiating. If I'm actually hungry, a protein shake (or any drink/liquid) doesn't do much of anything as far as satisfying my hunger.

I do peek in diaries on occasion and you'd be surprised at the number of those who do.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

I do peek in diaries on occasion and you'd be surprised at the number of those who do.

There's nothing wrong with consuming protein powder alone, as long you fill the rest of the macros you need, it's not the end of the world. Protein powder is a food, if a person enjoys it more than chicken or turkey....who cares?
  • for_ever_young66
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with consuming protein powder alone, as long you fill the rest of the macros you need, it's not the end of the world. Protein powder is a food, if a person enjoys it more than chicken or turkey....who cares?

Just having a discussion. No need to get testy.
  • fb47
    Options

Not getting testy, I just don't see the big deal if someone prefers protein powder over food.
  • for_ever_young66
    Options

Not getting testy, I just don't see the big deal if someone prefers protein powder over food.

Hmmmm. But you said in a prior post that protein powder is food.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,973 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder because it is pretty darn helpful in hitting my macros without going over on my calories (and getting to eat more than just meat day to day). Plus, it's fast, easy, and doesn't require much prep or cleanup, something my crazy schedule appreciates!

I just have a shake post workout though, as my breakfast. I don't use it on days I don't workout.
  • fb47
    edited March 2018
    Options

Hmmmm. But you said in a prior post that protein powder is food.

It is, I probably should've termed it as "Other foods".
  • AnvilHead
    Options

I'm not surprised by anything in regards to the things people do nutrition-wise. Amazed sometimes (in a facepalm, eye-rolly kind of way), but not surprised.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm not surprised by anything in regards to the things people do nutrition-wise. Amazed sometimes (in a facepalm, eye-rolly kind of way), but not surprised.

True. I'd also say that everything depends on whose diaries you peek in, it's unlikely to be an average sampling.
  • fb47
    edited March 2018
    Options

I cringe more when I see 1200 calories diets with no fruits and veggies in there. Not sure what is more scary, the fact that a high percentage of women eat at 1200 calories despite doing a *kitten* load of exercises or the fact that they eat no micronutrients and little fiber for the number of calories they eat.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I cringe more when I see 1200 calories diets with no fruits and veggies in there. Not sure what is more scary, the fact that a high percentage of women eat at 1200 calories despite doing a *kitten* load of exercises or the fact that they eat no micronutrients and little fiber for the number of calories they eat.

Or do they buy into the WW way and just don't log fruit and veggies. Hard to tell sometimes.