Oatmeal tastes like cardboard

Options

Replies

• kristiwoodworth
    Options
    First of all, try eating some good quality, non-instant oatmeal. I like McCain's Irish Steel Cut. It takes longer to cook but has a lot of flavor and texture. Then I add frozen blueberries, which sort of mix into the oatmeal, turning it all purple but giving it some good flavor. Then sometimes I add a few walnuts, or almonds, which add calories, but good nutrition, good fat. Maybe try dried cranberries or raisins. And I use almond milk instead of milk or cream. If you watch your portion sizes, you can have all this good stuff without blowing your calorie count, and be full until lunch. Good luck!
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I cook my oatmeal with fat-free milk instead of water so it is a little creamy (and the milk adds some protein), and I like to add cinnamon, ginger and a sliced banana. I put the spices on the oats, toss them around, add the milk and nuke it. The banana goes in after it comes out. I LOVE this breakfast--can't make myself eat anything else--and it sticks to my ribs. Note, if you decide to nuke your oatmeal, make sure you use an extra large bowl so it won't boil over in your microwave.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    For a 1/2 cup of oats, I add 2 TBSP of natural peanut butter and 2 tsp of sugar. That's right, sugar! It's my dirty little secret. But it's pretty much the only added sugar I have all day.

Sometimes I do a banana instead of the sugar - even better.

Peanut butter and oats though.. try it. They were meant to be together!

I agree with my guru..I just had a bowl with peanut butter and brown sugar as a snack..it was yummy:)
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    Cinnimon, nut meg, add some truvia sugar....add your own raisins and any kind of fruit you want to it.
  • errantfirefly
    Options
    only if you have the luxery of time:

prepare as usual

place in a oven safe dish

sprinkle with brown sugar

add some raisins or dried cranberries

broil until sugar is carmelized

it gives it a new crunch/twist on the boring
  • reesesrunner
    Options
    You can always try mashing half a banana in it. Also, chopped walnuts/pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg, are other ideas. I always put a blob of peanut butter on top. :)

I eat this for lunch every day and it stays the course a solid 3-4 hours. I make it the night before or in the morning and bring along some fresh fruit as well. I love it eating it at room temp.

I've learned to love it. :)

I think we're so used to eating processed and overly-sweetened foods, that we've lost the ability to appreciate food as it was meant to be eaten.. fresh, raw, and whole.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, nutmeg, a bit of pumpkin puree, nut butter, mashed banana, blueberries, dark chocolate chips, maple syrup...there are so many things you can do with it! I have oats almost every day. (-:
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I like to add honey and a splash of milk to mine. =)
  • kaalin
    kaalin Posts: 9
    Options
    I like the Quaker Healthy Weight Maples and brown sugar variety. Its got a little protein power in it to keep you full longer. Super tasty and I splash a bit of half n half on top. No more than 1 oz or 2. :)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    sometimes I throw a chopped apple in while the oats cook. That way the sweetness from the apple flavors the oats. It works REALLY well with blueberries too. I also add milk or maple syrup or honey.

Just remember a healthy food + a healthy food = a healthy food.
  • zapatasbloodjv
    Options
    I like coaches oats

with some raisins, scoop of whey protein, and sugar free maple syrup
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I love the texture of steel cut oats, I add either raisins or apples with cinnamon and truvia(I used to do brown sugar but switched) and a bit of skim milk....yummmy!
  • officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Betteroats Oat fit is really good and has no sugar. It has a subtle taste to it...might help ease you into it. I really enjoy it.
  • megan6709
    megan6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with yogurt. I don't really like yogurt but I don't get enough calcium and I want the probiotics, so the oatmeal is the good stuff for me. I do the instant stuff, as you can make it as thick or as runny as you like. A girl I went to class with usually ate instant oatmeal uncooked, straight from the packet (and I think she probably weighs 105 lbs soaking wet). You could try just putting the oatmeal (instant kind) into yogurt - you would get the benefits of oatmeal and it tastes/is textured more like granola.

~Megan
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oat are delicious, but take time to prepare. Most mornings I add the following to a bowl for real instant oats, not the packaged junk:

Old Fashioned Organic Oats (real oats, not instant or quick)
    1 date
    Cut up apple, however much you want
    1/2-1 tbsp PURE maple syrup
    1 tbsp walnuts
    Cinnamon

Add boiling water to cover, mix, cover with a plate for about 5 minutes. Voila - instant oatmeal that's healthy (recipe from The Kind Diet book). On mornings you are okay with adding good fat and calories - add just peanut butter.
  • pawprint_net
    Options
    I used to HATE oatmeal - so I was off it for years - but I tried it again recently and didn't find it that bad - tastes change.

That changing aspect is pretty important to keep in mind. - you can train your tastes too. I now quite enjoy rolled oats cooked in water with absolutely nothing at all on them. My tastes have changed - I was so used to wanting it sweet before I actually didn't taste the flavour of the grain. My advice would be to try any and all of the great suggestions so many people have made here - but also try slowly cutting down the additives to the oatmeal - eventually you may find you don't need the 'sweet' addition to enjoy the cereal.
  • shoogerbooger
    Options
    Buy canned unsweetened cherries (they don't have the pits) or an all fruit cherry, and used a minimal amount with a teaspoon of slivered almonds and just a little vanilla. It's like cherry pie I swear. No splenda, it's poison. Try a little honey or some agave nectar. The smallest bit.
    I used to have the same attitude toward oatmeal. This was my go to breakfast for a year or so. I never ever got tired of it.
  • shoogerbooger
    Options
    Also different oatmeals have different textures. If you have a slow cooker, get some Irish oatmeal. It's soooo much better than anything else out there.
  • Iammelting
    Iammelting Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I add cinnamon and blueberries with almond milk and to sweeten it some sugarfree maple syrup ( 20 calories for 1/4 cup ) sometimes flax or chia seeds
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I'm not a fan of oatmeal either... but I *want* to like it. Here's how I actually do like it:

- Cook 1 cup rolled oats according to directions (I like them a little firm, so I use a bit less water than recommended)
    - Dice 2 granny smith apples into 1/2" bits (I don't even bother peeling them - just cored)
    - Sautee apple bits with a little water. Put a lid on the pan and let the apple bits get as soft as you like.
    - Add cinnamon and splenda to the apples according to your taste. Try allspice if you're feeling adventurous.
    - Mix apples and oats and enjoy

This way the apple to oats ratio is pretty high - which works for me. :) I often make a large batch and keep it in the fridge, reheating portions for a quick breakfast on weekdays.

For a little more protein and fat, and maybe a creamier texture, add some soy milk.