Double Belly anyone?

Options
I have been overweight for the majority of my adult life...and one of the main things that have bothered me in regards to this is, the shape of my belly!! Regardless of what I am wearing, or not, it looks like there is a deep dent in the middle of my belly and it splits it in 2! (horizontal, not vertical, in case anyone is wondering lol) It always seems like my clothes are on too tight and I have a top and bottom bulge.

I am concerned that even after dropping the weight, the shape will remain. Has anyone had this in the past and after weight loss noticed a difference in the shape? I know I should be working on my core more...but does the shape actually change even after losing inches/lbs?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say?

I know that there are a variety of issues that can cause size/shape changes.

That would be my first stop.
  • Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    Options

I've never thought of discussing this with my doctor since it's just fat lol
    I figured it's either not going to change regardless of what I do, or it will once my waist starts shrinking...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I've never thought of discussing this with my doctor since it's just fat lol
    I figured it's either not going to change regardless of what I do, or it will once my waist starts shrinking...

It may be nothing. But then you'll know. :)

If it's something then you'll also know.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Someone pointed out to me when I was like 7 that my belly did that and I've been self conscious about it ever since. I also hold most of my fat on my lower belly so that doesn't help. For me, avoiding low-rise bottoms have helped my confidence a lot.

I've just started my weight loss journey and I know this will probably be one of the last places I start to see a change. I'm also trying to come to terms with the fact I'll probably always have a lower tummy bulge, but if I can lower my overall body fat % then it should be less noticeable. Until then, I will keep wearing my higher-waisted pants :)
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Girl, my best solution was to start wearing much higher waisted pants/skirts. It helps to smooth out the middle bum. Or switch to dresses for a while, that should help too.

I often wore slightly tight cami shirts under my clothes to help distribute some of the fat.
    Under dresses I'd wear yoga pants instead of leggings because they had HIGH waisted control bands (high light right under bust high).

It'll most likely go down. Mine has. But I still wear larger shirts to help cover up the high waisted pants. The higher waist just moves the "divide" up higher where it can be much better covered by a shirt.

There is hope!! My jeans usually sit right above my belly button, which is where the dent is...but it's still noticeable... but hopefully it will decrease with the loss of inches...

thanks!
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Before I lost a significant amount of weight, I had a large bulge on the right side of my abdomen. As I lost weight, the bulge was still there, so I went to the doctor and he checked it and said it was just a fat deposit, and said that fat doesn't always deposit evenly, and once I lost some more weight, it would go away. About 6 months later and probably another 15 lbs, and it was gone.

I would think your issue is just basically the same - fat distribution, and as you lose, it will even out.
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Before I lost a significant amount of weight, I had a large bulge on the right side of my abdomen. As I lost weight, the bulge was still there, so I went to the doctor and he checked it and said it was just a fat deposit, and said that fat doesn't always deposit evenly, and once I lost some more weight, it would go away. About 6 months later and probably another 15 lbs, and it was gone.

I would think your issue is just basically the same - fat distribution, and as you lose, it will even out.

Really hoping this is the case! My belly is already full of stretch mark, so probably wont be doing a lot of exposure for it...but I know clothes will look better when it's a little flatter...but not necessarily flat! ;-)
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Girl, my best solution was to start wearing much higher waisted pants/skirts. It helps to smooth out the middle bum. Or switch to dresses for a while, that should help too.

I often wore slightly tight cami shirts under my clothes to help distribute some of the fat.
    Under dresses I'd wear yoga pants instead of leggings because they had HIGH waisted control bands (high light right under bust high).

It'll most likely go down. Mine has. But I still wear larger shirts to help cover up the high waisted pants. The higher waist just moves the "divide" up higher where it can be much better covered by a shirt.

There is hope!! My jeans usually sit right above my belly button, which is where the dent is...but it's still noticeable... but hopefully it will decrease with the loss of inches...

thanks!

yeaaaahhhhh..... mine sit 2-4 inches ABOVE my belly button now. When I sit down the band does slide into the belly button dent but I hike them back up. I'm serious!
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    jellis432 wrote: »
    Someone pointed out to me when I was like 7 that my belly did that and I've been self conscious about it ever since. I also hold most of my fat on my lower belly so that doesn't help. For me, avoiding low-rise bottoms have helped my confidence a lot.

I've just started my weight loss journey and I know this will probably be one of the last places I start to see a change. I'm also trying to come to terms with the fact I'll probably always have a lower tummy bulge, but if I can lower my overall body fat % then it should be less noticeable. Until then, I will keep wearing my higher-waisted pants :)

Well, I carry more weight on the "top" belly, so it's a little weird looking lol
    At the end of the day, I know it's about the weight loss and health benefits that I am doing this for...but I still want to feel pretty!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few posts about this, its called a B belly, its mostly genetic but as you lose weight that will definately help reduce it.
  • makinemjellis
    makinemjellis Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Well, I carry more weight on the "top" belly, so it's a little weird looking lol
    At the end of the day, I know it's about the weight loss and health benefits that I am doing this for...but I still want to feel pretty!

There's nothing wrong with wanting to feel pretty! Perhaps empire-waist tops/dresses would provide the same benefit for you that high-waist pants provide for me? I know this is turning in to fashion advice instead of fitness, but you should still feel confident until you're body is where you want it to be!
  • Marjayhan
    Marjayhan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    High waisted jeans and skater dresses are your friends in this situation. Long time belly experience here. No matter how much weight i lose i never lose the belly or the boobs. Which I hate cos my head is so small. I'm so unproportioned its weird.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What are your stats? I had it before i dropped a bunch of weight. And do you do any resistance training?
  • Everyonelies
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    What are your stats? I had it before i dropped a bunch of weight. And do you do any resistance training?

Well, I have lost about 22lbs...have about 60-70 to go, so still a ways to go...and I do resistance training, I just havent been focusing on core...I do some...just not enough...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Well, I have lost about 22lbs...have about 60-70 to go, so still a ways to go...and I do resistance training, I just havent been focusing on core...I do some...just not enough...

Yea... Lose the weight and you will be good. And you dont need to work your corr unless you want more developed core muscles or a stronger core.

If anything get on a structured lifting routine like StrongCurves or NROL4W.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I had that shape before losing weight. I have it after losing weight, but it’s less pronounced. Unfortunately you can’t control where your body stores fat or where it burns the fat from.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I had that shape before losing weight. I have it after losing weight, but it’s less pronounced. Unfortunately you can’t control where your body stores fat or where it burns the fat from.

Does anyone other than you notice at this point? I have saddle bags when I’m heavier and still hippy lean, but no one else really sees it.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    From your description, it sounds a bit like my ab area.

I describe it as an abdomen with a defined waist. I think it sounds nicer.

Even though I've dropped over 40 lbs, and do my core work regularly I will likely never have that 6 pack. Bikinis are just not my thing. (Yes, I likely could if I REALLY worked at it recomp champs, but just not at the moment, thanks).

And that's OK. Not everyone has a flat belly.