Neck & Trap training

Options
Currently my less developed body parts (mainly due to lack of direct work & not consistently deadlifting). Neck looks thin, traps look underdeveloped when in a relaxed position (not so much when flexing).

Currently trying wide grip shrugs (so far this seems much more activating than heavy straight up and down shrugs, traps do not run only vertically) & doing high rep rack pulls (slightly below the knee starting). So far so good...going to take time

Anyone into doing direct neck training with good results? Debating about seeing a chiropractor first to have a baseline to go by before attempting neck training (just seems unconventional & possibly injury inducing)

Replies

• se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Rx_Keto wrote: »
    Currently my less developed body parts (mainly due to lack of direct work & not consistently deadlifting). Neck looks thin, traps look underdeveloped when in a relaxed position (not so much when flexing).

Currently trying wide grip shrugs (so far this seems much more activating than heavy straight up and down shrugs, traps do not run only vertically) & doing high rep rack pulls (slightly below the knee starting). So far so good...going to take time

Anyone into doing direct neck training with good results? Debating about seeing a chiropractor first to have a baseline to go by before attempting neck training (just seems unconventional & possibly injury inducing)

Hey! So I know that most people don't do this, but I do shoulders and traps twice a week, well I actually do everything twice a week except arms because I hit arms from compound exercises throughout the week, anyways I've developed bigger traps over time from doing this. One day I do high rep shoulders and I superset my dumbbell shoulder press with dumbbell shrugs, do a light enough weight where you can really get that full range, meaning up to your ears but SLIGHTLY bend forward so you can squeeze behind and up if that makes any sense. Don't pause, just do a nice smooth set and repeat. 2-3 days after I will hit heavy shoulders and do heavy shoulder press (4 sets) followed by heavy shrugs using a trap bar, you can also do rack pulls as you stated earlier. This is what has helped me grow big traps.

Also another thing, dead lifts, and lots of back exercises can help activate your traps too thereby increasing mass, for example rows activate lats and traps, although their main purpose is to activate lats if you row higher up more towards your lower half of the chest, you can activate lower and middle traps. PM me if you have any questions.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Rx_Keto wrote: »

Also I think that neck and trap thickness involve gaining more overall mass which I think you could do. You're body fat appears to be around 5% ish I'd say based on pics but I really don't know. You could go on a bulk to gain some more muscle mass and while you'll be bigger overall, but your neck and traps will grow too. Sometimes it's not just the exercise, because it seems like you have good muscle development but I think you could put on some lbs and gain the mass from calories too.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Yeah, I follow Nippard's videos a lot; I am just a bit skeptical and hesitant to do any direct neck exercises for fear of injury.
    Will incorporate OHP (cleans too possibly) more - 2x per week (took this out a while back due to redundancy from tricep press) & have just recently started Meadows rows (single arm t bar row variation). Thanks

Yeah neck/traps are very "genetic" & drug responsive
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Erging (indoor rowing) would help tremendously if you do cardio. My wife doesn't like that "no neck" look and I'm getting it after 3/4 years of steady rowing. All I do is indoor rowing, overhead presses and pushups and some KB Swings and my neck and traps are getting huge. Now I row TONS but perhaps if you do running or other things, switch it up to rowing. My lats are also huge as well now.

David above said he's developed traps well from cleans. That just kind of confirms what I've found because a proper rowing stroke should feel a lot like a light clean.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I found doing above the knee rack pulls with extremely heavy weight to be a great way to hit the traps but I haven't done much direct neck work.

I would look up Joe Defranco's YouTube channel (Joe Knows) for his trap training because he has a lot of great exercises for them.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Someone is 'woo' button happy :D

Every time!
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Someone is 'woo' button happy :D

Sorry couldn’t help adding one >:)

So at least one of your woos is just being cheeky.
  • J_Fairfax
    J_Fairfax Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq0V6Ejf_XI&t=985s

Alex AlphaDestiny has some really solid neck / trap workouts

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Meadow's row, clean & press, & heavy (been only doing light so far) below the knee rack pulls it is then...
    To all of you nameless woo'ers, go woo yourself (you know what I really mean)
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    J_Fairfax wrote: »

He's 'roiding.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

He's 'roiding.

NAH!!! It's just the beard ;)
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

He's 'roiding.

He is a bad mofo.

Look at his grimace. >:)
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

He's 'roiding.

He is a bad mofo.

I'm so focused on the before stach....
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

He's 'roiding.

He is a bad mofo.

I'm so focused on the before stach....

Do you mean the "I still get carded for cigarettes stache"?
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    cleans, overhead work, and deadlifts!