Staying strong when mental strength isn't always there

Options
I recently quit weight watchers after about 9 months and 30 pounds lost. The will to continue with this program wasn't there for me anymore and I wanted to try branching out on my own. However, I have a hard time keeping positive and having the willpower to keep on track, the desire is very much there but the want for certain foods or habits just seems much stronger. Has anyone else battled this issue using any successful methods? I'm currently exploring yoga and meditation in hopes of channeling negative emotions in a positive way. Open to suggestions!

Replies

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    See the Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal- amazon or kindle
  • tolose21702
    tolose21702 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It’s times like these when you know what you have to do and the motivation is hard to reach. You change so much in your lifestyle but not seeing the results you want is so hard to keep the motivation. It almost make you feel like giving up. I want to give up...
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    i find when i push through weakness, i end up so much stronger. That's my advice to you.. push through. I have days where i 'feel' like quitting or actually try to justify why my diet won't work in the long run. So? Big deal. I "feel" that way for a while..but i never act on those feelings. A day later..the struggle is gone..and i'm left stronger knowing i can make better decisions and trust myself to be an achiever not an excuse maker. Nothing is worse than being a victim of your own destructive feelings.
  • oneorangecat
    oneorangecat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think the pressure and accountability of the weekly weigh ins, whatever program you do, helps me when i want to give up.
  • jpearson1289
    jpearson1289 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same myself, the best thing I've done is sign up for something expensive class or personal training... have guilt if I don't go and it takes up money out of the food budget so I can't buy bad things. I'm currently struggling and have rebounded to my heaviest, but I'm still fighting. Keep positive and keep moving forward, a bad day isn't a bad life. You got this, surround yourself with good happy supportive people. I've never been so depressed in my life, but reaching out is helping me alot.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    For me, I discarded the concept of "motivation" for "discipline." Every day I came within my calorie goal I felt I achieved something positive, even if the scale didn't show any weight loss for that particular day. When I overate for the day, I chalked that up to being human and enjoying a dinner out with friends (those meals are hard for me to calculate actual calorie intake). Anyway, eventually you develop the habits you want to develop. And you learn that these positive changes, accomplished little bit by little bit, are self-reinforcing. Allow yourself to be proud of your accomplishments! You will get over some of these pesky little detours!