Nutrition advice needed

Options
I’m trying to change my eating habits after a lifetime spent eating sugary, bready, carby things. I’m trying to include more protein and am trying to keep within the macro amounts. I use protein bars and whey powder to help get more protein and have been doing ok with it. All of a sudden, I’m suffering with constipation. I can’t understand why and have been trying to do things like drink more water and eating things like prunes but nothing is helping. Any suggestions would be great.

Talking of prunes, how do people successfully include things like fruit into their diet? Fruit seems so high in sugar, which goes against the idea of weight loss, no?

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    No more than foods high in protein or fat go against the idea of weight loss! Sugar is just a macro, like any other.

Fruits are generally not particularly high in calories, and are packed with fibre and essential nutrients. They’re an excellent thing to eat, especially when dieting, especially if you’re suffering from constipation. I usually have fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, and often as a midafternoon snack as well. Mmmm, I’m looking forwad to that juicy pear already...
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    How is your fiber? Fruit is absolutely not bad for weight loss, it has sugar, yes, but the fiber in it makes the bloodsugar spike less. Try to get some whole grains and fruit and vegetables and see if that helps. Bran flakes and flax/chia seeds are often very good in helping with constipation
  • takesonetoknowone
    takesonetoknowone Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I see. I suppose I’ve been too preoccupied with the idea that I must try and reduce my carbohydrate and sugar intake, as they have traditionally been the mainstay of my diet, with a serious deficit of protein. I suppose I should focus more on keeping a balance of all nutrients. For a relative beginner like me, this is difficult to grasp. I’ll keep trying though. Thanks for the advice.
  • takesonetoknowone
    Options
    That’s really inspiring, thanks!
  • takesonetoknowone
    Options
    I also have a consultation booked with a dietician, I’ll keep you posted on my progress.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I find some protein powders cause constipation. I changed brands and ate more vegetables which helped a lot. Do you eat eggs, legumes, and meats to up your protein? You just have to try different combinations and see what brings relief. Fruit is fine. Just don't overdo.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Good luck! This is exactly why I love nutrition as it is so individual. Something that works for one person will be horrible for another, and it depends on so many things such as the gut microbiome (bacteria in your gut), lifestyle, and how your body reacts to different things
  • takesonetoknowone
    Options
    Thank you all for your help
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    There are protein bars with 15+ grams of fiber--Quest, Mission, and Costco's Kirkland brand.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Well the usda I think is 0.8 per kilo of bw for protein, but if your active, you might want more. Remember, if you are active the body needs to repair muscles. You will need the amino acids to that you can't get from carbs and fats. Know This as well, protein is very filling. It delays gastric emptying. Non animal proteins such as lentils and beans, quinoa, broccoli are sources. Also of fiber. People also forget about the high tef of protein. Not saying it gives you a boost of metabolism, it does not, but .3 cals out of every 1 cal of protein is required to use protein. Best of luck. Also, GI index can be misleading, when you eat a white potato in a mixed media with fat and protein, it slows the absorption of glucose.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    A video that might be interesting for you!
    https://youtu.be/BZpYH3HegiI
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Increase FIBER - You don't need to increase protein. You only need about 65grams a day. Protein has been shown to turn on cancer cells. I don't know why people don't open their eyes to the truth about protein!

WTF did this come from??? since when is protein the devil?? please share the research that supports your claims!

First is was fat, then carbs. I guess it's protein's turn.
  • DietChocolate
    DietChocolate Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Iron supplements stop me up. If you have just started adding high iron supplements into your diet, look for options that have no more than 50% of your daily needs. Get the rest from food.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Increase FIBER - You don't need to increase protein. You only need about 65grams a day. Protein has been shown to turn on cancer cells. I don't know why people don't open their eyes to the truth about protein!

LOL, citation needed.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Here's a good breakdown on how much protein most individuals need: https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-i-need/

I'd recommend prioritizing hitting your protein intake, then take a general balanced approach to the rest of your diet. Fruit and veggies are your friend. There's nothing wrong with carbs - some people like to eat upwards of 300g per day. Dietary fat is good for your brain. And many of us choose to enjoy a daily not-so-healthy treat too! It's all about balance. Focus on protein + veggies, fill in the rest of your day with what you like to eat.