I tried Halo Top for the first time today and...

Options
124»

Replies

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have an ice cream maker and also try to eat the good stuff in small quantities, when I can manage it. But sometimes when you really want a bowl of something, some Halo Top isn't bad. It is also not a bad source of protein.

I have been trying to find Lemon Cake for ages, my supermarket never has it! (Mariano's, IL)
  • thynes1313
    thynes1313 Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Usually I just go for a small amount of the real stuff but for when I have little portion control... I love peanut butter and oatmeal cookie. Haven't ventured out but I love hearing the consensus on the ones to steer clear of lol.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I only like a few flavors of Halo Top. Chocolate and vanilla are good. Peanut butter cup and candy bar aren't bad. I like the birthday cake flavor, but I can see how some people would find it too sweet. I haven't enjoyed any of the others, and I thought some flavors were downright nasty.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How much are these typically? They just started selling them here and at $7 for a tiny container, there's not a snowball chance in hell I'm trying them at that price.

$10 a tub here in Australia. $7 is the on sale price.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    ValeriePlz wrote: »
    I have an ice cream maker and also try to eat the good stuff in small quantities, when I can manage it. But sometimes when you really want a bowl of something, some Halo Top isn't bad. It is also not a bad source of protein.

I have been trying to find Lemon Cake for ages, my supermarket never has it! (Mariano's, IL)

Try Whole Foods or Jewel. I love Marianos (I'm in Chicago) but their ice cream section is typically lacking in comparison to Jewel's.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My husband and I tried Halo Top a few weeks ago after hearing friends constantly rave about it. It tasted like chemicals to us...in the trash it went. (The flavor was Birthday Cake.) But the way we eat ice cream--by the occasional spoonful--we can afford to splurge on the real, full-calorie stuff. One pint lasts several weeks to months in our house. :#
  • HannahL3Nport
    HannahL3Nport Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I kind of like the chocolate and the pistachio.
    But the thing I find is that all the flavors are just unnecessarily salty. If they were less salty, I think I'd like them more. I looked at the nutrition on Halo Top vs other brands and it's higher on a lot of the flavor. For example, on Chocolate, it is more than double the amount of sodium than other brands.
  • hollyhartel310
    hollyhartel310 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chillycow is amazing!!
  • VolsG8rH8r
    VolsG8rH8r Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree. Blue Bell might kill ya but it's worth the risk!
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I can't bring myself to buy it. I generally don't like lowfat versions of foods. I'd rather eat less of the real thing. The flavors all sound so good though!
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    jwcannon70 wrote: »
    h1udd wrote: »
    but I do wonder if a teeny bit of real icecream is better than a bowl of halo top

And that is where the rub comes in. I cannot do just a teeny bit of real ice cream. I am better off with the pint of Halo Top.

^^^^This! You've got to let HT sit out, and some flavors are better than others. My favs, oatmeal cookie and chocolate. AND, the whole pint is mine, lol. (But seriously, why would anyone invent a waffles and pancakes ice cream. No, just no.) :#
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add since it's been mentioned so often, I did let it sit out. 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, once I let the whole outside ring completely melt. It's partially a mouth feel thing for me, and partially the taste. I wish it did the trick for me, I really do. But if I feel like ice cream and I eat HT, I still want ice cream. Damn my dairy-loving pickiness!!!! :angry:

I heard Ben & Jerry's is coming out with lower cal, higher protein flavors, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think it's really really "ok" including the cookies & crème flavor...my favorite is pistachio...they are all kind of weird though.

I'd rather have a smaller amount of regular ice cream.

*****DO NOT get Arctic Zero though, it's 100X worse than Halo Top!****
  • RoseAllisonx
    RoseAllisonx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We don’t have halo top here in Belgium, but I found something called ‘Oppo’ and I love that one! Idk if it’s available everywhere in the world though.
    It comes in three flavors, Madagascan Vanilla (which I love the most), Salted Caramel (I’m not a fan of salty things, so haven’t tried that one) & Colombian Chocolate & Hazelnut (also a good one).
    It’s around 75 calories/100 ml. ☺️
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Just wanted to add since it's been mentioned so often, I did let it sit out. 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, once I let the whole outside ring completely melt. It's partially a mouth feel thing for me, and partially the taste. I wish it did the trick for me, I really do. But if I feel like ice cream and I eat HT, I still want ice cream. Damn my dairy-loving pickiness!!!! :angry:

I heard Ben & Jerry's is coming out with lower cal, higher protein flavors, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

B&J won't have artificial sweeteners, so it's still going to be like 600 calories for the pint, but I'm guessing it will taste much better to me (also not high protein).
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Favorites: Peanut butter cup, caramel macchiato, sea salt caramel.

I tried the lemon cake flavor last night and was disappointed. The lemon flavor was basically not there - I didn't taste it after the first two bites. Bummer too because I love anything lemon flavored.
  • jwcannon70
    jwcannon70 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I tried the red velvet last night and I thought it was good. It satisfies my craving for red velvet so I would definitely eat it again. Sea salt caramel is still my favorite. Next up will be birthday cake.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

B&J won't have artificial sweeteners, so it's still going to be like 600 calories for the pint, but I'm guessing it will taste much better to me (also not high protein).

Ah, I saw an article that said they were doing it in response to HT and the like, so I assumed higher protein. I'll take the calorie reduction anyway, but def not quite the same thing then. Oh well!
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    This is another alternative for Canadians ... CoolWay. I find it tastes more like dairy than Halo Top and I'm not getting a strong aftertaste of sweetener like I am with some of the HT flavours. The chocolate chocolate chip is really rich in flavour (to me, at least). It doesn't hurt that it's also cheaper ... at Walmart it was $4.97 a pint.
    Now, none of these taste as rich as real ice cream does but they remind me of frozen yogurt and I'm okay with that.
    eta: I would pass on the Vanilla Bean, though. It was kind of bland and "icier" than the other flavours I tried.

zcumdwp2wend.jpg