I'd be thin if we didn't have weekends

Options
2»

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    There is no reason you can't have a takeaway now and again, just plan for it.

Eat a little less during the week, get some extra exercise in and "bank" the calories for the weekend. You're only going to gain fat if you're eating more than maintenance, it takes around 3500 calories over maintenance to gain 1lb.

For example, my own calorie allowance is 1800 per day, 2 days during the week I might net only 1600 calories, which gives me an extra 400 calories, so on Saturday I'll have my poached eggs or an omelette for brunch which is around 400 calories, that leaves me 1800 calories to play with if I want to go out, before even taking any exercise into account. If I walk into the city (around 3 miles away) that another couple of hundred calories.
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's not the weekends that get me. I do fine at home and with eating out. It's work. All the snacks, sweets, pizza lunches, etc that people bring it. It's almost like they force me to eat it :)
  • Hyacinth_Hippo
    Hyacinth_Hippo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I find that when I'm at a restaurant or getting takeaway if I package half of it up right away (to use as lunch or dinner for another day) then I'm more likely to stay within my calorie limit. Also, logging before I eat something helps me out a lot to not go overboard. My fitbit also helps to keep me from lying on the couch all day on the weekends because I have no excuse not to get my steps in!
  • astralsky
    astralsky Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this
    So excuse the stupid question
    But how do I reply directly to a comment?
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    astralsky wrote: »
    I'm new to this

Press the quote option.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I also suffer the weekends food choices.

its hard because the wife wants, wine AND cakes AND deserts AND dinners that utilize as much fat as possible in them AND going out to coffee shops. The kiddy wants to bake biscuits. They both want sit down meals with loads of social food.

I am certainly not going to deprive them of it, but there is only so much damage limitation you can do when you are trying to minimize the calories in ribs, hotwings or massive burgers, cake etc etc etc.

Yes you can find the low cal option in all of those, yes your lunch can consist of just 3 wings out of a plate of 30. But it is hard and it requires discipline
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    charms3155 wrote: »
    Instead of the whole weekend being a bust I will plan my breakfast, lunch and snacks and then let loose in the evenings. Keeping your water intake up will help too.

This is really good advice ^^

I also calorie cycle - I average my calories out across the week. If my daily goal is 1330 calories, I eat around 1100 on week days when I have a good routine and then that gives me a bit more wiggle room on weekends. I usually eat about 1500 on a Friday, 2000 calories on a Saturday and 1500 on a Sunday. This only works though if you log everything on weekends as well so you can get an accurate average. Works for me! I've lost about 30kgs.
  • astralsky
    Options
    I'm new to this

Press the quote option.

I had been doing that
    I just didn't realise I had to scroll to the bottom of the page to reply
    Thankyou
  • astralsky
    Options
    I think this past weekend was a very bad weekend for me
    Two family meals out
    Out to see a band Saturday night
    And takeaway with the kids
    I give up trying to keep a check on things when I realise there's no way I can keep control of it
    Then I beat myself up about it
    Thankfully I don't have that many weekends like that
    But I do find it a lot easier to just give up
    I had the same problem with smoking
    So I guess it's just the way I am
  • astralsky
    Options
    Instead of the whole weekend being a bust I will plan my breakfast, lunch and snacks and then let loose in the evenings. Keeping your water intake up will help too.

I also calorie cycle - I average my calories out across the week. If my daily goal is 1330 calories, I eat around 1100 on week days when I have a good routine and then that gives me a bit more wiggle room on weekends. I usually eat about 1500 on a Friday, 2000 calories on a Saturday and 1500 on a Sunday. This only works though if you log everything on weekends as well so you can get an accurate average. Works for me! I've lost about 30kgs.

I know !!I must log everything !!!
    I tend to give up when I can see I'm into a loser
  • LW3380
    LW3380 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

How long have you been using MFP? Have you tried to log your weekends or do you give up at the first hurdle?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,892 Member
    Options
    I exercise all week
    Eat well
    Then as soon as the weekend arrives I turn into a binge eating alcy
    And I can't seem to stop it

Exercise more on the weekend. :) And plan other things to do.
  • astralsky
    Options
    LW3380 wrote: »

How long have you been using MFP? Have you tried to log your weekends or do you give up at the first hurdle?

I've used it on and off for a while
    This is my longest spell
    I'm looking forward to light nights and better weather so I can get out on some long walks
    I don't want to cut out any foods
    I do try and do enough exercise to make that possible
    I don't use the extra calories I get in the week from exercise
    And try not to be bad all weekend
    I want to find a balance
    So that I can maintain it and don't just end up putting back on what I lose !!!
  • astralsky
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I exercise all week
    Eat well
    Then as soon as the weekend arrives I turn into a binge eating alcy
    And I can't seem to stop it

Exercise more on the weekend. :) And plan other things to do.

I generally do
    I was invited to a party
    Where they had a fish and chip van
    So I walked there and back
    A total of 10 miles
    And ate fish and chips
    I just need to stay that focused !!
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited March 2018
    Options

This is my longest spell
    I'm looking forward to light nights and better weather so I can get out on some long walks
    I want to find a balance

If you're not eating your exercise calories during the week, then you probably aren't really messing anything up, seeing as MFP set up in a way that you should be eating at least some of those back - take a look at your calories over the week (go into the nutrition option at the bottom of your food diary and change the view to weekly net calories and you will be able to see how you're doing over the last 7 days), are you just freaking out over the scale climbing up after the weekend?
  • astralsky
    Options

This is my longest spell
    I want to find a balance

If you're not eating your exercise calories during the week, then you probably aren't really messing anything up, seeing as MFP set up in a way that you should be eating at least some of those back - take a look at your calories over the week (go into the nutrition option at the bottom of your food diary and change the view to weekly net calories and you will be able to see how you're doing over the last 7 days), are you just freaking out over the scale climbing up after the weekend?

I think I get down because I have the best intentions
    Just sometimes it goes pear shaped
    And if I don't see movement on the scales
    It's disheartening
    I often don't put my exercise in mfp so that I'm not tempted to use them
    Maybe I need to log everything
    I'll look at the calories and see what it says
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

This is my longest spell
    I want to find a balance

I think I get down because I have the best intentions
    Just sometimes it goes pear shaped
    And if I don't see movement on the scales
    It's disheartening
    I often don't put my exercise in mfp so that I'm not tempted to use them
    Maybe I need to log everything
    I'll look at the calories and see what it says

The scale isn't going to move downwards all the time, and the whole point of exercise calories is to eat them, not eating them just creates a bigger deficit which is more likely to make you hungrier and if it's too big of a deficit can actually be bad for your health.

oaops9ubzlf2.jpg
    1xhcgsjs7a0c.jpg
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can do it OP, it just takes proper planning. Try zig zagging your calories in order to allow you to have more calories on the weekend.