How do I overcome a weight loss plateau?

2»

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    wchull wrote: »
    The point is that regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the advice I was given it worked as started to lose weight again after struggling to lose and seeing no progress no matter how few calories I consumed or how hard I worked out in the gym.

The thing is, you don't know that the *advice* worked, you just know the scale started going down again, which it was likely going to do anyway. What people are telling you is that, from a scientific standpoint, what you were told is inaccurate.

Nonetheless, congratulations on your progress! :)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited March 2018
    First, the 2000 Cal included in my first post was a typo. I do spend a at least an hour per day on an elliptical machine and according to the readouts on the machines that are pretty consistent from machine to machine I'm burning about 600 Cal's.

Perhaps I didn't explain the advice given in regard to skipping lunch. The explanation was that skipping meals can mess with ones metabolism and can trigger the body to go into starvation mode and prevent weight loss. This behavior is referenced on the internet so I don't think it's bad advise. The advice given was that eating meals vs. skipping a meal will help prevent the body from experiencing starvation mode and eating instead of skipping helps prevent overeating whenever you do eat again.

The point is that regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the advice I was given it worked as started to lose weight again after struggling to lose and seeing no progress no matter how few calories I consumed or how hard I worked out in the gym.

If starvation mode worked like you’re describing anorexics would be overweight. You’re losing again because weight loss isn’t linear. Even if you do everything right consistently without error you will have weeks with no loss and weeks where you lose more than expected

https://leangains.com/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked-major-update-nov-4th/

Edited to add - lost first 25lb with intermittent fasting eating only 2-10pm
  • ryant618
    ryant618 Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2018

Perhaps I didn't explain the advice given in regard to skipping lunch. The explanation was that skipping meals can mess with ones metabolism and can trigger the body to go into starvation mode and prevent weight loss. This behavior is referenced on the internet so I don't think it's bad advise. The advice given was that eating meals vs. skipping a meal will help prevent the body from experiencing starvation mode and eating instead of skipping helps prevent overeating whenever you do eat again.

Starvation mode is a myth, and you can't mess up your metabolism by skipping meals. There is no way your metabolism can change except for in extreme life or death cases.
  • d12m17s
    d12m17s Posts: 1 Member
    I say if it works continue to do it no matter what anyone else thinks.
  • nndarden
    nndarden Posts: 16 Member
    Congrats on your progress to date. It's better and faster results than I managed.

But, after a year in a diabetes prevention / mitigation class (i.e. [affectionately called] Fat Class), I've come to believe that weight loss at its simplest is calories in < calories out. And, if you reach a plateau - and you will, to get back on the path you have to eat less and / or exercise more.

After about a year of weight loss, I found out one possible reason for a slowing down in the rate of weight loss. I had failed to up date my weight in the MFP app. Once it recognized I had lost about 50 pounds, the program recalculated my calories / day and exercise / day goals. I'll let you know in another 18 months if the revised goals are working as I hopefully approach target.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I totally get what you're saying. However, it's important to understand what actually worked vs what was just coincidence. This is particularly important when you inevitably hit the next "plateau" so that you know what to do to work through that one.

I'm glad you've started seeing progress again.

Thank you, I'll keep your reply in mind next time I run into an issue. That being said my immeiate need was to lose 25 pounds in 100 days otherwise my doctor was going to put me on blood pressure meds which I didn't want ot be on. When I told him I would get the weight off he gave me this look that said "Fat chance bucko" but my weigh-in is Friday with the doctor and in the last 90 days I've lost 35 pounds.

Sorry if I seem a bit put off by some of the replies but it seemed that they were just a bit too quick in telling me that the advice given was just a bunch of BS. During that 10 day period which I'll refer to as a plateau, I was hitting the gym every day and even with the calories I gained back from my workouts and consuming far fewer calories than my allotment and was still stuck at the same weight. With the so called "poor advice" given somthing did happen and I started losing again and the only real change was eating lunch, which meant I had to compensate for those calories at dinner and the strength training has undoubedly added muscle mass which probably means that I'm buring a few more calories per day to maintain that muscle mass. Even if some consider it to be "poor advice" I say "so what, it worked and continues to work for me".

since a lb of muscle burns like 6-10 additional calories you arent going to be burning a lot more calories. if you are also in a deficit its harder to build muscle. and Im not trying to offend you but you look like an older gentleman,its going to be even harder to build mass due to lower testosterone among other things,and you dont gain muscle that quickly even in a surplus(aside from maybe some newbie gains which isnt going to be a lot and tapers off after time). as for working out more and eating less your body will retain water to repair muscles so thats why the scale didnt move, or why it went up in the first place. so if the scale is going down again its probably because the water you were retaining was flushed out, could be some fat loss too.
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    Hey, if it's working for you, stick with it. If you should plateau again (and you probably will), you can cross that bridge when you come to it. I've been losing/gaining the same 1-3 lbs. for over a month now. It gets frustrating but I just keep pushing on. Eventually, the scale will start going down again and I'm in no rush because, the way I am eating is the way I plan on eating from now on. I'll admit, sometimes I have bad days but I always try to get back on track the following day.